Sub 37 EG

Everything Sub.
KincaidDesigns

Sub 37 EG

Post by KincaidDesigns » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi all,
While adjusting some VERY COOL SOUNDS! (I love this thing), I've started adjusting the EG. I get some cool ADSR effects however when I
Turn all the EG's to zero, I simply get a single pop in my speakers for each key press. My wonderful sound creation is gone. What am I doing
wrong, or is there a way to 'backspace' the EG edits... I'm puzzled by this. :?

GregVDS

Re: Sub 37 EG

Post by GregVDS » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:07 pm

I'm just beginning, but,

Attack time to 0 gives you direct full level
Decay time to 0 make your level reach directly after that its sustain level
Sustain LEVEL to 0, well, after directly having reached its maximum and decayed to sustain, level is at 0,
Release time to 0, after having reached sustain level = 0, drop in no time to 0,

makes logically a very short and single pop for each note, but I can be wrong.

You need Sustain at its max level or at least non 0.

Greg

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:09 pm

[quote="Kesigns"incaidD]Turn all the EG's to zero, I simply get a single pop in my speakers for each key press. My wonderful sound creation is gone.[/quote]

Not sure I understand - do you mean all the parameters of the envelopes - ADSR - set to zero?

Or maybe you mean the EG AMT knob set all the way to the left?

If you mean the ADSR parameters then a zero setting for all will give just a pop, yes!

If you mean the EG AMT is fully anti-clockwise than you should understand that its "zero" setting is at 12oclock. The EG AMT parameter is bi-polar so when fully left is fully negative and not zero.

I'm not sure I have understood though - just a guess. :wink:

KincaidDesigns

Post by KincaidDesigns » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi Gang,
Yes I made the mistake of putting all my knobs to zero. So of course the sustain has to be at something. Thanks for the replies!
I'm new at this. The Sub 37 is my first synth. I've actually been getting quite good at most of it, but little things are having
big consequences. :D I am having a ton of fun with this thing... Can't wait for FW 1.1 though. I understood it would be out
in Feb. I guess Amos is making sure it's bulletproof for us......

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:37 pm

Just remember that you don't necessarily need the sustain to be above zero - remember that your sound could consist of just a decay stage without any sustain or release, or just sustain without any decay or release...ect

KincaidDesigns

Post by KincaidDesigns » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:36 pm

Ahhh.... K, I'll futz around with different combos of the EG. Big thanks! :D

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:13 pm

These Youtube videos are very good at explaining ADSR envelope, being the filter or Amp envelope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6pp6OMU5r8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9niampRkFW0

Greg

namnibor

Post by namnibor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:05 pm

KincaidDesigns wrote:Hi all,
While adjusting some VERY COOL SOUNDS! (I love this thing), I've started adjusting the EG. I get some cool ADSR effects however when I
Turn all the EG's to zero, I simply get a single pop in my speakers for each key press. My wonderful sound creation is gone. What am I doing
wrong, or is there a way to 'backspace' the EG edits... I'm puzzled by this. :?

This link will take you to -1- of -63- articles in a 3 year long series from Sound On Sound's Gordon Reid, "Synth Secrets". This article is one specifically on envelopes but you also will find the links for all the articles, which are better than you would find anywhere save from doing an apprenticeship with a sound designer> Hope this helps as well as anyone else that needs some great deep reading and wealth of info: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov99/a ... ecrets.htm
:mrgreen:
Sub 37

KincaidDesigns

Post by KincaidDesigns » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks namnibor, this looks like a great set of articles.... :D