sub37 upcoming CV enhancements

Everything Sub.
tasmansea

sub37 upcoming CV enhancements

Post by tasmansea » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:25 pm

good day - just purchased this beauty. very exciting instrument!
I recall there was mentioning of expanding the CV routing in an upcoming update.. does anyone have any insights?
i haven an elektron A4 which i'm thinking of selling now - however I might keep it should the CV destinations become more eclectic
so I was wondering if there are any beta testers around who could shed some light?
cheers

_DemonDan_

Re: sub37 upcoming CV enhancements

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:53 pm

The highly-anticipated CV MAPPING page will allow you to choose a different destination (from the awesomely long list of CONTROL DESTINATIONS) for:

PITCH CV IN
VOLUME CV IN
GATE CV IN

There are other cool things about it as well, but it's probably too soon to be definitive about them.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Minitaur has this feature set and it's absolutely killer, especially if you use a modular and/or expression pedals.

Considering the built in sequencer, I would bet that it's going to be possible to map KB gate in to start/stop sequencer toggle not to mention plenty more functionality.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

tasmansea

Post by tasmansea » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:53 am

thanks guys - really looking forward to it. such an awesome instrument already

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:38 am

EMwhite wrote:Minitaur has this feature set and it's absolutely killer, especially if you use a modular and/or expression pedals.

Considering the built in sequencer, I would bet that it's going to be possible to map KB gate in to start/stop sequencer toggle not to mention plenty more functionality.
I'm always moving the filter or volume pedals hooked up to the Sub37, and can't wait to try out new routings, like LFO speed.

Ability to use the KB Gate and a sustain pedal to trigger/toggle events should be cool. Hoping the KB Gate can be set to advance the sequencer step-by-step. I could then use syn'd LFO to create pulsing bass notes that advance through a note progression at will, leaving my hands free to play guitar or other synths.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:09 am

MoogProg wrote:
EMwhite wrote:. Hoping the KB Gate can be set to advance the sequencer step-by-step.
You will be pleased to know it can do this. You can map PITCH or VOLUME inputs to reset the arp or sequencer to step 1, and you can map GATE input to advance the arp or sequencr.

I have never used these type of CV functions before. Could you give me a few pointers on how it's done and what is needed? I have some spare 1/4" outputs on my DAW's audio interface (RME Multiface) and a Minibrute which has CV outs (pitch out and gate out) but these look to be a different smaller size type of connection.

I'm a bit lost with the CV stuff! :?

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Sure, but I'm not a modular-CV-guru. Here's how I'm hooked up:

Moog EP3 -> Filter CV Input
Moog EP3 -> Volume CV Input
Sustain Pedal* - > KB Gate Input
(*Mine has a polarity switch. Some pedals might not work as planned.)

I have created a number patches with dark, low-freq filter cut-offs. Then I sweep-open/sweep-closed using the EP pedal during performance, wah-wah pedal style. Some just move a little, and others go from dark-nothingness to wide-open-filter.

The other pedal controls the overall Volume and I'll use it to swell in and out, or just to keep some motion to my sound. Pedal Steel is my inspiration here.

Lastly, most of my patches use aftertouch to control vibrato. Usually, I have my left hand free to play the lower synth, while still having tremendous expression control at the Sub37. One solo uses a fast/slow tremolo controlled by the Mod Wheel. Would be great to move that speed control over to a pedal, so I am not stuck hanging out by the wheel.

It is my perfect synth, and it sounds like it is only going to get better. LOL I'm still running 1.03, too. :oops:

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:14 pm

ChiLam wrote:
MoogProg wrote:
EMwhite wrote:.I have some spare 1/4" outputs on my DAW's audio interface (RME Multiface) and a Minibrute which has CV outs (pitch out and gate out) but these look to be a different smaller size type of connection.
Well, you could pipe the extra audio outs from the DAW through the Audio IN of the Sub37, and use the synth as a audio effect, where the sound goes through the filter and can be modulated. No pitch modulation of audio, but filter and amplitude effects are fair game.

Minibrute uses 3.5mm connectors, and I have successfully used a Belkin 5-way headphone splitter to send the MB CV outs to Minifooger effects. Works great (for my purposes), but I wonder if the calibration is "good enough" to satisfy a serious modular type trying to control pitch on the Sub37.

I have not tried sending the MB CV to the Sub37. Just hasn't come up, as I've never yet needed anything "more" from the Sub. I'm much more of a turn-it-on-and-play guy.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Excellent, thanks MoogProg! Looks like I should invest in some pedals for this stuff then. :)

I was wondering if it was possible to create an audio signal from a DAW which could work with the CV inputs - acting as a kind of extra LFO to modulate the 37's parameters?

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:03 pm

Not without some special equipment, MIDI-to-CV or the Expert Sleepers solution.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:07 pm

ChiLam wrote:I was wondering if it was possible to create an audio signal from a DAW which could work with the CV inputs - acting as a kind of extra LFO to modulate the 37's parameters?
Hi ChiLam,

You seem like the kind of person who would LOVE this Mac/PC application:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Volta

My apologies in advance if you never go to sleep again.

gencomprodukts

Post by gencomprodukts » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:10 pm

I'm wondering if it's now possible to use an external clock or a trigger out from an old drum machine (TR, KR, CR, DR) to trigger the sequencer in time?
MOOG Memorymoog+, Sub 37, CP251, ROLAND SH-1, SH-2, SH-7, SH101, Juno 60, SVC350, TR808, SCI Prophet 5 Rev.3.1, KORG Mono/poly, KR55, OBERHEIM SEM, WALDORF Microwave 1, DSI Prophet 08 Desktop PE, BOSS DR-55, BassBot TT303, AKAI MPC1000 JJOS2XL.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:16 pm

gencomprodukts wrote:I'm wondering if it's now possible to use an external clock or a trigger out from an old drum machine (TR, KR, CR, DR) to trigger the sequencer in time?
That just might work, especially since you'll have the option to invert the behavior of GATE IN.
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gencomprodukts

Post by gencomprodukts » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:22 pm

[/quote]
That just might work, especially since you will have the option to invert the behavior of the GATE.[/quote]

Great news! Thanks for sharing this :wink:
MOOG Memorymoog+, Sub 37, CP251, ROLAND SH-1, SH-2, SH-7, SH101, Juno 60, SVC350, TR808, SCI Prophet 5 Rev.3.1, KORG Mono/poly, KR55, OBERHEIM SEM, WALDORF Microwave 1, DSI Prophet 08 Desktop PE, BOSS DR-55, BassBot TT303, AKAI MPC1000 JJOS2XL.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:54 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
ChiLam wrote:I was wondering if it was possible to create an audio signal from a DAW which could work with the CV inputs - acting as a kind of extra LFO to modulate the 37's parameters?
Hi ChiLam,

You seem like the kind of person who would LOVE this Mac/PC application:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Volta

My apologies in advance if you never go to sleep again.

Holy Kippers - great find, it can be done! ;D

Now though, my RME multiface only has a DC coupled headphone out the rest are all AC. But on the Expert Sleepers site (thanks mmarsh 100) they say that their Silent Way plug can be used with AC interfaces too if you make some special cables! This is very exciting.... :D