Sub Phatty editor

Everything Sub.
Swaintek

Sub Phatty editor

Post by Swaintek » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Any updates on this? I am pulling my hair out. Is this just a crappy software plugin that doesn't work over USB? I am running Ableton on a Mac, and I continually get hardware disconnected errors, hanging notes, you name it. I love this synth, but the plugin is terrible. Even little things, like when you save a patch it goes to a folder that isn't visible in the librarian, or every time I try to sort the librarian by category the patches seem to show up in a new random order. I guess the only option at this point is to forget the plugin and just run midi via din? Is anyone doing that? Not really excited to fork over extra cash for a midi to USB device just so I can avoid using the SP's onboard USB terminal, but I don't really know what else to do. I have updated firmware, and the latest editor software.

j_peAk

Re: Sub Phatty editor

Post by j_peAk » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:44 pm

I understand your frustration, I really do.

About two weeks ago, I bought a Sub Phatty and the vst editor was A HUGE selling point for me. Unfortunately, like you, I had nothing but problems, however, I am on Windows and using Cubase.

Luckily, after spending HOURS AND HOURS reading through every thread I could find, and with the help of some Cubase forum members, I have managed to work out MOST of my issues.

I think Mac handles midi ports differently than Windows but I had more success using DIN and USB parallel. I just bought a cheap midisport 1X1 to do this. Also, I still would sometimes get the Hardware Disconnected with my Vst editor and I finally figured out is was because the moog midiport driver was still running in the background sometimes after running stand alone or a Cubase session. It would always fail if that was running in the background before launching a new session. I have kind of got in the habit of checking that before and ending it in task manager if the process is running.

As far as stuck notes, I still get them sometimes and haven't nailed down exactly what's causing them. It's super annoying but I think it's only a matter of time until I figure out what causes it.

My number one "bummer" now is that I cannot send midi from the hardware to actual midi automation tracks in Cubase. The midi clips record the basic CC midi information but this is definitely not my preferred method for automation.

I hope they still plan to develop this editor a little more but I know the team is small so I won't be surprised if they don't. Getting 90% of the way there is better than not having anything at all and this is the way I try to look at it now. Being able to save presets from the editor, save songs and have the preset launch with the song, syncing LFO to midi, under the hood features, etc. are still all very nice things to get from the editor.

So try not to give up on it yet because you may work out most of the major problems you are having. I, like you, was ready to take the thing back because the editor was a big selling point for me.

Also, you may find more help on the Ableton forum. I didn't seem to get much help here, most of my help came from the Cubase forum. From what I could see on this forum, most users worked out their editor bugs a while back and the Sub 37 threads have kind of taken over.
Cubase 9.0.20
Cubase 8.5
Win10 Pro 64bit
i7 3.4Ghz 4770 Haswell
16GB
Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Western Digital Black
Nvidia GTX 960
Moog Sub Phatty, Crowminius, Jasper, Korg MS-20, Korg DW8000, Yamaha TX7
Nektar P4 Midi Controller