Sub37: arpegiator triggert externally ... not working ?

Everything Sub.
FaschingsPrinz

Sub37: arpegiator triggert externally ... not working ?

Post by FaschingsPrinz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:38 am

Hello,

I have hooked up my new Sub37 via Midi to my controller-keyboard. Both are set to the same midi-channel.
If the arpegiator is activated on my Sub37 and I press a key on the Sub37s own keyboard the arpeggio does run as expected.
But if I´m pressing a key on my controller-keyboard I only hear the note initiated by the key but the arpeggiator does not start. I can play the Sub37 via the external keyboard - note by note -, but I can´t get the arpeggiator to behave as if I would have pressed the key on the Sub37´s own keyboard.
What could be the reason for that ?

Thanx a lot in advance,
Marcus

FaschingsPrinz

Re: Sub37: arpegiator triggert externally ... not working ?

Post by FaschingsPrinz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:17 pm

... I forgot to mention:
The arpeggiator of the Sub37 is triggered by the external keyboard.
But if I connect an external synth to the Midi-out of the Sub37, the arpeggio is not forwarded to the connected synth when the arpeggio is triggered from the external keyboard connected to the Sub37s Midi-in.
If I trigger the arpeggio from the Sub37s own keyboard, the arpeggio is forwarded to the Sub37s Midi-out. But it´s not forwarded when the arpeggio is triggered by an external keyboard connected to Sub37s Midi-in.
In the "global menu"-section 1.4 (called "seq options"), there is an option called "Midi output". If I set it to "keys" and press a key on the Sub37 only this key is forwarded once via its Midi-out (even though the arpeggio within the Sub37 starts running triggered by this key).
If I set it to the other option called "Seq" and I press a key on the Sub37 the arpeggio/sequence is forwarded to the Sub37s Midi-out (and if an other synth is connected to Sub37s Midi-out, this synth plays the arpeggio generated by the Sub37)
What I would like to achive is, that the arpeggio is forwarded to Sub37 Midi-out not only when the key is pressed on the Sub37, but also when the arpeggio is triggered via a (larger) keyboard connected to Sub37s Midi-in.
Do I have to set the Sub37 in an alternative way, or do I need to ask for a software-update which would make this possible ?

Thanx a lot in advance,
Marcus

FaschingsPrinz

Post by FaschingsPrinz » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:01 am

Anybody at Moog or associated with it who could check this for me if this is "normal" with the actual firmware - or I have a faulty product ?

Thanx a lot in advance,
Marcus

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:15 am

Mine behaves the same way. Midi data from the arp is not routed back to the external keyboard. However, all midi data is routed from the external board to the Sub 37 and back to the external keyboard when recording or playing a sequence. Very strange. So I would say this is a firmware issue and not a faulty Sub 37.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:16 pm

This is normal for now; I'll work on it.

For the moment, if Local Control is OFF, then the arpeggiator is only controlled by local keys, it does not respond to external MIDI notes.
This is because there would be a problem if you are using the local keyboard as your MIDI controller, and the Arpeggiator is generating arpeggio MIDI note output... if you send this MIDI data back to the Sub 37, it must play the notes as it receives them rather than feeding these notes back into the arpeggiator as input. Does this make sense? If local control is ON then the arpeggiator will run in response to external MIDI. But it's a little confusing to tie this behavior to Local On/Off because there is more to it than that.

In short, there need to be some additional operating modes, because there are so many different ways in which one might want to use the arpeggiator. You might want to take MIDI from another control keyboard, use it to run the Sub 37 arpeggiator, and then output arpeggio MIDI notes to yet another destination. This is different than playing on the Sub37 local keys, generating arpeggio MIDI note output, and then sending these notes back to play the Sub 37 while Local Control is off.

There's more to think about here, and several details... I will make a note to improve this behavior soon. Thanks!