Sub 37 key action

Everything Sub.
torinkrell

Sub 37 key action

Post by torinkrell » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:52 am

Hi - has anyone noticed that the keyboard on the Sub 37 feels different from the Phatty's and the Voyager's? In addition to all the keys feeling generally firmer on the Sub 37, the black keys seem to need more pressure than the white ones. I like the firmness of the Sub 37's keys, because it's closer to my how my 1973 Minimoog's keys feel, but the difference between the pressure needed for the black vs the white keys is noticeable and surprising.
Last edited by torinkrell on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akai AX-80
Korg Polysix
Roland Juno 60
Moog The Source
Yamaha e1010 BBD
Moog Parametric EQ
Sequential Prophet Pro~One
Altec AS-1600 audio oscillator (1947)
Moog Music Minimoog Model D (1973)

Sihaz

Re: Sub 37 key action

Post by Sihaz » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:36 pm

yeah - now you come to mention it, mine is a bit like that - doesn't really bother me too much though. i mostly drive mine via an akai ewi and foot pedals as i'm a useless keyboarder!

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:57 pm

It has come up, with one poster claiming the black keys were "higher than standard" :?: ...whatever that means. I am a keyboard players of many years and enjoy the action on the Sub37. It is certainly a lot heavier to the touch than the LP. If you like lightweight organ-like keys, the Sub37 might be a drag, but I think it pairs well with my SL-990 Pro 88-key weighted controller (which controls other synths).

The black keys do seem to require a step more pressure to create an aftertouch effect than the white keys, but this could also be an angle/leverage issue. These are mechanical devices after all. As a string instrument guy too, I am accustom to making playing adjustments to suit the various scales/action/strings/tunings out there in the world, so coming to terms with how the Sub37 wants to be played wasn't a big deal to me.

I like it! :shock:

JonLukas

Post by JonLukas » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:14 pm

I am finding the same issue, mostly with the black keys. If I play a song that uses mostly white keys, it plays pretty well (though could be lighter). However, if I play a song with a lot of black keys, I have to use too much force and it is hard to play with a smooth, relaxed style.

My first phase of using the Sub 37 was to learn it and create some of my own presets which was super fun and rewarding. Now I'm on to using the synth for some music I'm writing, and the key action is definitely inhibiting the process. It is like playing a guitar with the action set too high.

I have contacted Moog support (as they suggested in another thread about this issue) but I have not heard back. I think simply having lighter springs would make a big difference. But if there was a way to retrofit a better keyboard, I would certainly be willing to pay some $$$ for that.
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

Meneer Vincent

Post by Meneer Vincent » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:42 am

It's a pity because Moog makes good quality machines. I have a Sub Phatty and although I like the instrument very much I find the key-action just bad. There is indeed a pressure difference and I also have a problem with a noisy clicking A key.
It's back for repair now. I also agree with @JonLukas; willing to pay extra for a better decent keyboard.

JonLukas

Post by JonLukas » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:34 pm

UPDATE:

As I play the keyboard more, it seems to be breaking in a bit. I use the upper octaves more than the lower, and the black keys seem to be loosening up. I'm sure my playing style is adapting to it as well.

Here is a video I made of me giving the Sub 37 keyboard a bit of a workout...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdGW9KXhOOo
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:45 pm

I have several keyboards and play semi professionaly. I find the action of the sub 37 to be superb for my playing style. Some of my synths have a light action which does inhibit fluidity in playing whilst the sub 37 actually makes it easier.
i guess its just a matter of playing style as to what each individual prefers and every synth/keyboard manufacturer has to make a desicion as to which keyboard to use. Nobody can please everybody.
@Sihaz how does it play with ewi? I use my ewi with the korg M50 for sax, brass and solo strings patches. Never really thought about trying it with the moog.
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:53 am

Hi mattyp,

It works great with the ewi. I generally map the breath to filter cut off and use a behringer foot pedal for more tweaking on the fly. I play with will gregory's moog ensemble and two of the guys are driving older moogs with yamaha wx's via midi to cv converters. With the keyboard chops of some people mixed with the fluidity of the wind controllers the combination is great. We recorded an album late last year which should be out soon. All played live, no overdubs :-)

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:09 am

i absolutely love the quality of the keyboard on the Sub37. it feels ...expensive....solid...quality.

i just wish it had been manufactured so the grooves for the springs at the top of the keys werent visible from the front. just ruins such an otherwise beautiful instrument.