Basic synthesis question - sub 37 modulation and kb reset

Everything Sub.
lushr

Basic synthesis question - sub 37 modulation and kb reset

Post by lushr » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:17 am

Hi everyone,

I've made a simple clean sound from init, I wanted only one modulation, no envelope, no filter.

The LFO is being used solely to imitate vibrato, on what should be a really clean tone, both oscillators on triangle. Sub and noise are off. Glide is on around 11 o clock. Kb reset is on for osc 1 and LFO 1. Sync is on for LFO 1.

Problem number one, holding a note I was getting slow waving in and out. Like it was a second LFO. The LFO 1 is set to a fairly fast rate with just the tiniest pitch, set to mod both osc 1&2. And controlled by the mod wheel.

I got rid of this slow waving in amplitude by setting LFO to mod to osc1 only. But not entirely sure why this worked, the oscillators always rub against each other a bit out of sync do they? Maybe I had detuned osc 2 a tiny bit? Dunno. What can cause this?

Problem two, the big one, Kb reset ensures I always start on a strong clean note, but if I keep playing, never fully releasing the keys the notes get quieter waving in and out. I understand that unless I release, kb reset won't take place, how can I change this setting? To that every key press gets a new triangle?

The only thing I found which had effect was using the hard sync button on the osc 1 but that changes the timbre of the sound, you can then hear a second voicing (osc 2 sounds more distinct though in sync), which is not what I want. Is it an under the hood feature?

Problem 3
Also I had initially wanted to set the vibrato on LFO 1 to be controlled by aftertouch, but when I did that I got some weird results.i set it to 100% and turned off mod wheel. I found kb reset was no longer effective because depending on how soft I touched a key the note would be weaker initially. Where I only really wanted it so that if I wiggled a key, or pressed it hard it would vibrato, much like my combo organ. Does after touch recognise wiggling AND pressure? Because when I did both it seemed to double the LFO rate beyond what I'd set.

Sorry I know these are basic points, I'm learning. I'm starting to want that finer control and understanding of the response.

MoogProg

Re: Basic synthesis question - sub 37 modulation and kb rese

Post by MoogProg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:47 am

lushr wrote:Problem number one, holding a note I was getting slow waving in and out. Like it was a second LFO.
This is possibly the result of a small difference in the tuning between OSC1 and OSC2 causing slow "beat waves". FREQUENCY and BEAT FREQ. knobs might help dial this out. Center up the knobs carefully and listen.
lushr wrote:Problem two, the big one, Kb reset ensures I always start on a strong clean note, but if I keep playing, never fully releasing the keys the notes get quieter waving in and out. I understand that unless I release, kb reset won't take place, how can I change this setting? To that every key press gets a new triangle?
Use the A EG MULTI TRIG button ON to create a new trigger for every key press.

Hope this helps. If not, someone will surely come along with better info.

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:44 pm

Aftertouch works on pressure so presumably, when wiggling you are inadvertently applying pressure. The harder you press down on the key, the more of a affect this will have (it's not just on our off). There are a couple of options here, firstly try turning aftertouch down a bit instead of having it at 100%, try 50%. Make sure all others are set to off. You can also calibrate the aftertouch so that you need to press even harder before the effect is heard. This is a bit tricky but once set you wont be sending aftertouch by mistake. The procedure for calibrating is in the manual. I'm not anywhere near my 37 atm so can't give you anymore than that.
Hope this helps.
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:18 am

If you are very new to synthesis at all, you might consider to get some help from here ...

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may99/a ... nthsec.htm

The magazine has published many articles, starting at the very basics and later explaining sophisticated synth patching. Since the Sub 37 provides subtractive synthesis, this could be a rich ground for learning, it's very well written - and it's free.

lushr

Post by lushr » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:04 pm

Thank you every one! Why I didn't think the oscillators could be a bit out was because it started on "init" so in theory if I didn't touch something, it should have been at its default setting of zero...right? Anyway I'll do dome more experimentation along the lines you all suggested.

I think I don't have the control to use after touch, I'm just not that accurate on the keyboard, but I will experiment.

I'll check out that sound on sound, there's lways something new you can learn, might Ben have it on my shelves somewhere!

Thanks again!

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:05 am

Corby, most of the info in that sound on sound article is in the moog manual, which is breautifully written.

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:51 am

lushr wrote:Corby, most of the info in that sound on sound article is in the moog manual, which is breautifully written.
Yes, sure, but have you seen that this article is only the starting point of a series of about 60? Very well written and covering a lot of sound design, explaining backgrounds, and how to shape sounds. Another well written source is the book "How to make a noise" by Simon Cann. Most of this information is not in the manual. From your post it appeared to me that you might be new to synthesis, but may be a was wrong, sorry than ...