SUB 37 sync issue with DAW

Everything Sub.
ziggomatic

SUB 37 sync issue with DAW

Post by ziggomatic » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:32 am

Hi!

The Arp behave strangely when i try to sync it With Ableton. To give you an example when i press 3 keys it only play 2 etc... Yesterday i tried to sync the Sub 37 with a TR-8 (TR-8 as master clock) and it works properly.

Any advice?

thanks! :D

ziggomatic

Re: SUB 37 sync issue with DAW

Post by ziggomatic » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:43 pm

do you have an answer for me Amos? :)

thanks! :D

Amos

Re: SUB 37 sync issue with DAW

Post by Amos » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:37 pm

I can confirm that the Sub 37 syncs very well to a TR-8, as we used one extensively for testing during the development process. :)

As for your issue... could it be that the arpeggiator is outputting MIDI which is being echoed by Live, back to the Sub37? This could mess up the arpeggiator behavior. You can test this in a couple of ways: (1) turn off Local Control on the Sub, while recording... (2) try setting the Sub 37 MIDI IN channel to something different (say channel 2, while the MIDI output is channel 1). This will keep any MIDI notes coming out of the Sub from triggering playback or arp, if those notes are echoed back to the Sub via Live.

-edit: note that the above two solutions are mutually exclusive. In the first case, turning off Local Control assumes that MIDI is being echoed back from the DAW, and the idea is to turn off Local Control and use only the MIDI being echoed back from the DAW to control the synth. In the second case, we *don't* want MIDI to be echoed back from the DAW, so we are changing which channel the Sub 37 is "listening" to (MIDI IN channel) so that it will ignore any MIDI notes that are echoed back from the host. You definitely don't want to turn off local control and also set the MIDI In channel different from the MIDI Out channel; that will not work.