Sub 37 triangle wave volume

Everything Sub.
ziggomatic

Sub 37 triangle wave volume

Post by ziggomatic » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:52 am

Hi! is it me or the triangle wave on both osc. are lower in volume than the other waves?

thank you! :)

mmarsh100

Re: Sub 37 triangle wave volume

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:01 pm

Yes, they are, tho it could be that because they have less frequency content they just seem lower. I'll have to check when I get home.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:42 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:Yes, they are, tho it could be that because they have less frequency content they just seem lower.
I agree with mmarsh100,

If there was a Sine Wave available it would seem even softer than the Triangle for the same reason.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Triangle wave harmonics fall off more steeply than squares too, resulting in a lower perceived volume.

I've been wondering myself about triangle waves, and how best to utilize them in sound design? I know they're good for helping with bell-type sounds, but sweeping the filter and cranking the resonance on a pure triangle doesn't do a whole lot. Any tips on how best to utilize triangle waves?

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:47 pm

DeckardTrinity wrote:Triangle wave harmonics fall off more steeply than squares too, resulting in a lower perceived volume.

I've been wondering myself about triangle waves, and how best to utilize them in sound design? I know they're good for helping with bell-type sounds, but sweeping the filter and cranking the resonance on a pure triangle doesn't do a whole lot. Any tips on how best to utilize triangle waves?
ha, you think that's boring, try a filter sweep on a pure sine wave! You might as well just turn its volume up and down, because that's all that a filter can do with a single frequency that has no overtones. :)

As to how best to utilize triangle waves, I like to pitch 'em down an octave or two below some other waveform, for a smooth sub-bass layer. Or up high for smooth whistly overtones.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:51 pm

DeckardTrinity wrote:Any tips on how best to utilize triangle waves?
Hi DeckardTrinity,

I know this is going to sound like a condescending answer but:

Why worry about what the shape the waveform is?
(I'm specifically referring to audio OSCs as opposed to LFOs.)

I've been programming synths for most of my life (and teaching/writing about them for much of it as well), and I've never bothered to memorize what exact harmonics are in each or what each harmonic's amplitude is compared to the fundamental. It has never been important detail when trying to copy an existing sound or creating an entirely new one. I simply toggle through the available waveshapes (or, with Moogs, smoothly sweep between them) until I hear the sound closest to what I'm looking for.

After programming other parameters, I may go back and change the waveshape to see if an alternative gets the sound closer to what I want. But again, I'm not worried about what it's called; I just know that I like one variation better than the others for that particular patch.

One forum member asked if there could be a way to exactly get Triangle, Sawtooth, and Square waveshapes. I remember thinking, "For what?"

First of all, when you actually see any of these geometric waveshapes on an oscilloscope for the first time, you'll be very disappointed to learn that they never look like their drawings anyway (except for Sine). Nature just doesn't work that way.

So... now to actually answer your question. Here are a few of the many examples of when you'd want to use a Triangle waveshape for one of your Oscillators:

Let's say you have your two OSCs are separated in pitch by an octave or more. Making one of the OSCs a Saw and one a Tri creates a very different timbre than if you used the same waveshape on both OSCs. (Try it both ways to see what I mean.)

Or, try two OSCs on the exact same pitch with some tasteful detuning. Now make both OSCs have the exact same waveshape and listen... Now make one of the OSC's waveshape different and listen...

Notice how the motion of different harmonics are emphasized (or deemphasized) depending on the waveshapes chosen for each OSC.

Try a single OSC with lots of MULTIDRIVE. Try all the waveshapes and notice how the distortion acts differently with each.

These are just a few examples (and everyone on this forum will have lots more).
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

klfnk

Post by klfnk » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:58 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
DeckardTrinity wrote:Any tips on how best to utilize triangle waves?
Try a single OSC with lots of MULTIDRIVE. Try all the waveshapes and notice how the distortion acts differently with each.
Hi DemonDan,
Very good examples and I heartily agree on your position 'if it sounds good, why bother wondering what waveshape it is?'.

With regards to the question I use Multidrive to beef up Triangle waves as well and it definitely gives it a nice presence.

BTW: I saw some people in youtube videos complain about a lack of bass in -24dB filter mode when dialing in a lot of resonance.
I overcome that with the Multidrive as well, it's conveniently placed next to the resonance ;) It doesn't add more bass, but it
feels like there is more..

Overall the Sub is a beast, I'm trying not to play with all day... but I simply can't stop myself :)
Moog Sub 37
Ableton Live 8.latest
Pro Tools 12 HD12.latest
RME Fireface UC
15" MacBook Pro Retina 2015 Yosemite

arjanhoekstra

Post by arjanhoekstra » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:02 am

Saw bleeds into triangle on OSC2.

I didn't want to start a new topic before checking with someone else.

OSC2 sounds completely different to OSC1, they're both set to triangle but it seems as if the saw is bleeding into the triangle wave.

I tried dialling the saw in on OSC1 slowly and yep, now they sound identical.

Can anyone try this out on their 37?

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Just checked both OSCs on my Sub37 on the oscilloscope: both OSC produce identical wave forms, triangle wave has the same amplitude as saw. However, when WAVE knob is dialed fully CCW, the triangle wave has a slight notch at the top and bottom, which sounds like a saw wave is bleeding into triangle... if WAVE knob is dialed back just a tad, the triangle wave becomes clean both visually and and sound wise. This is consistent on both OSCs.

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

arjanhoekstra

Post by arjanhoekstra » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Here are some pics and an audio sample. OSC1 doesn't appear to be true triangle either.

A comparison of both oscillators set to triangle. Starting with OSC1 followed by 2 and so on.
https://soundcloud.com/arjanhoekstra/37 ... le/s-s5HKB
OSC1
OSC1
OSC2
OSC2
EDIT: I can get OSC1 to sound clean by turning WAVE clockwise a little bit. Just like Peter described, there seems to be a sweet spot. OSC2 however....

I'd like to know if this is something that can be adjusted, moog?