sub 37 16 midi channels

Post by soundremo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:32 am

hello
and yet another dumb question
how can i get the sub to play 16 midi channels together on cubase 6.5
right now my work flow in cubase is:
open a audio channel set it to the sub
open a midi channel and set in\out to the sub
then i record my line on the midi channel do all the tweaks and editing to the midi and then i record it to audio delete the midi bar and start again
the same with my minitaur
this seems stupid to me the sub has 16 midi channels
i want to open 16 midi channels (1-16) each midi channel loaded with a difrent sound and play them together without recording them to audio first
what do i need to do to get this to work
thank you in advance

soundremo

https://soundcloud.com/soundremo
https://soundcloud.com/psycoholics2

artofnois

Re: sub 37 16 midi channels

Post by artofnois » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:42 am

Sub37 is monotimbral and monophonic... sorry

soundremo

Post by soundremo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 am

so why have 16 midi channels

Asymetrical

Post by Asymetrical » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 am

Everything has 16 MIDI channels...... That's MIDI

You should learn it and stop being stupid..........

Petur

Post by Petur » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:30 am

If you have multiple devices (synths etc) receiving/sending midi you want to be able to address them separately. So you assign them a different midi channel to listen and send on.

soundremo

Post by soundremo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:00 pm

Asymetrical
if you have a problem with my questions than don't replay
and as it turns out the persons how post these kind of replay are the stupid once
have a grate life
m-f

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:08 pm

Asymetrical wrote:Everything has 16 MIDI channels...... That's MIDI

You should learn it and stop being stupid..........
Now that's a smart, welcoming answer from someone who gets pissed off when he's told to read the manual. Bravissimo.
Sorry, I couldn't let this go.

Soundremo, the Sub 37 has 16 MIDI channels as many MIDI equipments. This is useful when your set up needs to have several instruments communicating without any MIDI messages collisions. What you want, if I understand correctly, is to set the Sub so that it sends MIDI on all channels instead of selecting only one, right? This is called OMNI MODE.

In the manual, page 32, you can read this option is available through the MIDI menu. Set MIDI OUT channel on ALL. That’s ALL :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundremo

Post by soundremo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:40 pm

thank you very much stiiiiiiive
that's all i needed to know
without all the bad coments from mr.Asymetrical
thanks again

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Soundremo,

Questions are what the forums are all about, keep asking 'em!No one was born knowing everything about the sub 37 and midi. If you search the post history of even our grouchiest members you will find that they ask questions too. :wink:

Being able to assign Midi Channels can also be useful to keep from having to reconfigure your rig constantly. A simple example- If you have keyboards A, B, and C to send/receive on channels 1, 2 and 3 respectively and you introduce a new keyboard into your rig it's great to have the option to set keyboard D to channel 4 so that you don't have to completely reconfigure everything. There is some gear out there that only has the ability to operate on 1 or 2 channels and it's a real pain. Choice is good.

The more complex the setup the more this ability to set the channel can increase productivity and streamline workflow. Personally I'd rather only completely rebuild my live or studio rig once every few years instead of every time i get a new board. I hope that helps!

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:00 pm

I have to say that we are all here to both help and learn. It is simply rude to call someone and their questions stupid. It takes time to learn.

These are a few good sources ...

http://tweakheadz.com
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

soundremo

Post by soundremo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:19 am

thank you very much every one

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:16 pm

Hey Asymetrical,

It took you longer to to be rude than to just ignore. Please learn some manners or please head over to Gearslutz where they think snarky rudeness is clever and tolerated.

Asymetrical

Post by Asymetrical » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:40 pm

woah now

He calls himself stupid and the Sub37 stupid

I told him to NOT be stupid

how is that rude?

maybe I should have said dont be silly but come on, if you and I were hanging out and I said don't be stupid to you, would you be this offended?

apologies if necessary.........Let have beer huh?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:48 am

soundremo wrote:...this seems stupid to me as the Sub 37 has 16 MIDI channels (the same with my Minitaur).
I want to open 16 MIDI channels (1-16) with each MIDI channel loaded with a different sound and play them together without recording them to audio first. What do I need to do to get this to work?
Hi soundremo,
Several of your questions have been answered, but I think I can help you understand the above a little better.

Although on many polyphonic, multitimbral synthesizers, you can access 16 different presets (each on their own MIDI channel), it is only because that synthesizer already has the ability to play 16+ notes as well as the ability to have 16 different presets playing at once.

The crucial thing to understand is that both of those abilities exist because of the synth engine, not just because it has 16 MIDI channels.

It's Monday morning so forgive me if the following analogy isn't the best one, but...

Imagine if you had a portable mp3 player that you could plug into your mixer. Now imagine that your mixer has 16 inputs.

Now imagine someone asking:
"Why can't my stupid mp3 player play 16 different songs at once? I have 16 channels on my mixer. What do I need to do to get this to work?"

Your answer would, of course be: "You would need to have 16 mp3 players, each connected to one of the 16 channels, in order for you to have 16 different songs playing at once."

My point again being: 16 channels of MIDI doesn't automatically enable a sound engine to make 16 different sounds at once, unless that sound engine *was already capable* of making 16 different sounds at once.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

soundremo

Post by soundremo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:53 am

DemonDan thank you