Synth Expander

Everything Phatty.
B3 guy

Synth Expander

Post by B3 guy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:16 pm

Total pie in the sky wishing here...

So Iv'e seen a few of the other members post their plans to use another unit as a third OSC (I'm using a MeeBlip). I tripped across a ARP Little Brother unit from the 70s on the internet today. I had completely forgotten this thing existed. It had an LFO for controlling the Odyssey's parameters and the Odyssey in turn controlled the Little Brother's VCO whose audio ran back through the Odyssey's filter. Even had a pedal. So extra mod control and an extra OSc in one tiny unit. Way cool.

Man, I'd love a unit like this with a Moog OSC and LFO to expand the Sub 37 (or any Moog). Yea, it's a dream but it's a fun dream. :D

For now it's the Meeblip and a CP-251 I guess.

_DemonDan_

Re: Synth Expander

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:03 pm

B3 guy wrote:So I've seen a few of the other members post their plans to use another unit as a third OSC (I'm using a MeeBlip).
Just last night I went from my Sub 37's MIDI Out to my Korg MS-20 Mini's MIDI IN, and then used a 1/8" to 1/4" cable to go from the MS-20 Mini Output to the Sub 37's EXT AUDIO INPUT. :shock: Mind = Blown! :shock:

The MS-20 Mini is cute and all... but it's not as much fun to use all by itself (no Arp, no Seq, no Vel, no AT, no Mod W, etc.)

But... It adds so many new textural possibilities when connected through the audio path of the Sub 37, and controlled by its Arp/Seq.

The use of MIDI finally removes the issue of their less-than-compatible CV->Pitch scaling.

Since I didn't have a mixer handy, and used the Sub 37's EXT IN, I figured that its VCF and VCA would trample the MS-20 Mini's characteristics; but I was totally wrong.

My advice: Try anything and everything you have into any Phatty's EXT In.
Don't forget the Do Not Disturb sign; you might be unavailable for a while.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

ImNotDedYet

Re: Synth Expander

Post by ImNotDedYet » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:16 am

_DemonDan_ wrote: Just last night I went from my Sub 37's MIDI Out to my Korg MS-20 Mini's MIDI IN, and then used a 1/8" to 1/4" cable to go from the MS-20 Mini Output to the Sub 37's EXT AUDIO INPUT. :shock: Mind = Blown! :shock:

The MS-20 Mini is cute and all... but it's not as much fun to use all by itself (no Arp, no Seq, no Vel, no AT, no Mod W, etc.)

But... It adds so many new textural possibilities when connected through the audio path of the Sub 37, and controlled by its Arp/Seq.

The use of MIDI finally removes the issue of their less-than-compatible CV->Pitch scaling.

Since I didn't have a mixer handy, and used the Sub 37's EXT IN, I figured that its VCF and VCA would trample the MS-20 Mini's characteristics; but I was totally wrong.

My advice: Try anything and everything you have into any Phatty's EXT In.
Don't forget the Do Not Disturb sign; you might be unavailable for a while.
Oh my freaking gosh! I was just thinking, not a half hour ago...ya know what might be cool? Chaining my MS-20 Mini to my Sub37. And then wondering how to go about it...because I LOVE the filter on the Sub, but I also love the dual resonant filters on the MS20.

Not to mention, I've got a MF-104M and 108 coming this week. (thx BTW for the demo video of the 104 Dan - that was the biggest factor convincing me to go 104M over the minifooger and CP-251. You guys may not be hearing from me for a very long time...