40min SUB 37 Tweaking Video in HD

Everything Sub.
_DemonDan_

40min SUB 37 Tweaking Video in HD

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Gang,

Here's a 40 minute Sub 37 Hi-Def video of knob tweaking on the the Sub 37.

There's less than 40 seconds of talking in the video, so you can really see and hear what it can do.

Much of the time I'm starting from INIT PRESET. Other times are presets I've made.

At one point in the video I randomly hit some factory presets without looking (to add some Zen) and started tweaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDXESToG4p8
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Bing_Ellington

Re: 40min SUB 37 Tweaking Video in HD

Post by Bing_Ellington » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Dan thanks for the video! Very thorough. I've got a question you might be able to answer. On the Sub 37 is it possible to modulate two (or more) parameters simultaneously? For example, could you program moving the Mod wheel to add LFO vibrato and modulate the filter cutoff at the same time? Or could you assign, in another example, velocity to affect volume AND brightness together?

Best,

Bing

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:11 am

Bing_Ellington wrote:On the Sub 37 is it possible to modulate two (or more) parameters simultaneously? For example, could you program moving the Mod Wheel to add LFO vibrato and modulate the Filter Cutoff at the same time? Or could you assign, in another example, velocity to affect Volume AND Brightness together?
Hi Bing,

The answer is: Yes, but...

You can actually modulate *three* different destinations at the same time (per MOD!).

But... Two of those three Modulation Destinations are always going to be Pitch (of OSC1, 2, or Both) and Filter Cutoff. And then you can also have one more of the 99+ possible Modulation Destinations.
(See page 44 of Manual.) http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default/ ... l_8_13.pdf

Each of those three Modulation Destinations can have their own variable Depth (either positive or negative!) via the three AMT knobs (PITCH, FILTER, and MOD AMT) found in both MOD 1 and MOD 2.

In the CONTROLLERS pages (each MOD has its own) you can also choose to have Mod Wheel, Velocity, Aftertouch, and CC#4 affect the total Depth of each of the two MODs. So, there's quite a lot to toy with.

Ksynth

Post by Ksynth » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:43 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:Hi Gang,

Here's a 40 minute Sub 37 Hi-Def video of knob tweaking on the the Sub 37.

There's less than 40 seconds of talking in the video, so you can really see and hear what it can do.

Much of the time I'm starting from INIT PRESET. Other times are presets I've made.

At one point in the video I randomly hit some factory presets without looking (to add some Zen) and started tweaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDXESToG4p8
I'd love to get that Baba Moog patch if you can upload it somewhere. That sounded really amazing. Only if you intended to release it that is, of course.

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:32 pm

Hi _D_D,
at what time in the video is the 500ms delay pedal turned off during the first use of it? And what pedal did you use?

Excellent demo BTW!!!
Last edited by mrberger on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Ksynth wrote: I'd love to get that Baba Moog patch if you can upload it somewhere. That sounded really amazing. Only if you intended to release it that is, of course.
Count me in as interested a well!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:57 pm

mrberger wrote:Hi _DD_,
At what time in the video is the 500ms delay pedal turned off during the first use of it?
And what pedal did you use? Excellent demo BTW!!!
Hi mrberger,

Thanks!

If you’re not hearing very obvious echoes, you can assume that the digital delay is off.
There are no instances where the delay is subtly enhancing the sound.
The delay is either fully on or fully off.

In each case, the activation of delay is indicated by the text.

The delay is first used at 10:50 and is turned off at 13:36.

The next use of delay is at 21:57 and is turned off at 27:38.

The next use of delay is at 34:24 and is turned off at 39:02.

It’s also used in the short outro section.

I used the little TC Electronic Flashback Delay as it can be set to deliver completely uncolored digital repeats with absolutely no modulation. I didn’t want an external pedal to add any of its own flavor to the sound. And it does stereo Ping Pong delay (left delay feeds right - right delay feeds left) which makes resonant analog filter sweeps sounds so good and sprinkley. Pretty much any digital delay that can be set to have no Low Pass or High Pass filtering, and no time modulation, will produce the same effect. A stereo Ping Pong mode will enhance the sprinkling effect and create a pleasant stereo image.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:39 pm

lushr wrote:His Sub 37 Tweaking Video is pretty great too, though I want more detail on what he's doing!

http://youtu.be/aDXESToG4p8
Hi lushr,

Since much of the programming in the video was done in real time on INIT PRESET, there aren't notes on what I did.

But... if you give me an exact start and end point in the video, I'll watch it again and, hopefully, will be able to transcribe my steps for you.

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:47 am

That's you!? Oh Dan, you are the awesum! :shock:

I wish the subtitles explained more what you're doing, but this and the werksttadt video in particular are stellar, so inspirational. I'm in your fan club! And I was already a fan of you on this forum! :D

I really hope sweetwater gets you to do all the synth demos from now on, I learnt so much about synthesis in that werksttadt one.. Yes I can't remember how to spell that.. :oops:

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:49 am

Well... If none of it is presets, all init, then it guess there's too much to annotate. You need to do synthesis how to videos on the sub37 you'd be AWESOME! 8)

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:06 am

Dan, if you do another video you may want to hook up a MIDI sequencer to MIDI OUT and record all the knob movements and notes played as a sequence, then publish the track as a .MID file. This way people will be able to re-play what you've done and learn!

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:31 pm

Well this time I watched with the synth nearby to check the knob being twiddled and found the prompts given are perfect, still only been through the first 10 minutes or so.