CV pedals

Everything Phatty.
Ksynth

CV pedals

Post by Ksynth » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:55 pm

I bought a Moog CV pedal which came with no instructions - what does the bottom switch do Standard or Other?

Its set to Standard by default.

And it comes with a stereo cable - does this mean that any other CV pedal needs to have a stereo cable plugged into the Sub 37 to function.

I tried two other pedals - one Behringer with a CV output option and a Korg EXP2 (with stereo cable).

Neither seemed to work

Just found that the Moog EV3 works with the TRS stereo cable it comes with and so does the Behringer FCV100 using that same cable.

And the Korg does work on the Moog Sub 37. It comes with a stereo cable too. Not sure why I thought it did not work before. Tried it in the Pitch input.

Ordered some new TRS cables.

Rufus the Dog

Re: CV pedals

Post by Rufus the Dog » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:41 am

Hi Ksynth

As you probably know CV Pedals generally work by picking up a ground and +5volts from the synth. Applying that fixed voltage across one or two potentiometers, depending on the circuit in the pedal, and apply the voltage from the wiper of one of the pots to the CV input of the synth.

That requires 3 connections hence needing a TRS jack. It seems that the 'Sleeve' of the jack is usually the ground connection but the assignment of +5volts and 'wiper' varies with manufacturer hence one pedal working when another may not.

I only have a Moog EP-2 which does not have the 'Standard' or 'Other' switch but my guess is it relates to the selection of the 'Tip' and 'Ring' routing in the pedal.

R.