Turn off the linear beat frequency - possible?

Everything Phatty.
XAXAU

Turn off the linear beat frequency - possible?

Post by XAXAU » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:20 pm

The linear beat frequency is really cool but is it possible to turn it off if I wanted to?

_DemonDan_

Re: Turn off the linear beat frequency - possible?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:39 pm

XAXAU wrote:The linear beat frequency is really cool but is it possible to turn it off if I wanted to?
Hi XAXAU,

Are you talking about the Sub 37?

If so, OSC 2's FREQUENCY knob is the one you want to tweak.

Leave BEAT FREQ at 12 o'clock and it is effectively off.

Or are you talking about something else?
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:45 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
XAXAU wrote:The linear beat frequency is really cool but is it possible to turn it off if I wanted to?
Hi XAXAU,

Are you talking about the Sub 37?

If so, OSC 2's FREQUENCY knob is the one you want to tweak.

Leave BEAT FREQ at 12 o'clock and it is effectively off.

Or are you talking about something else?
Hey Dan! Yeah I mean the beat frequency on the Sub 37. Just wondering if its possible to turn it off and by that I mean that the oscillators will beat normally and not the same regardless of the note played.

I'm not talking about centering the beat frequency, although I love that feature, nor modulating it with key tracking! :)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:50 pm

XAXAU wrote:Yeah I mean the beat frequency on the Sub 37. Just wondering if its possible to turn it off and by that I mean that the oscillators will beat normally and not the same regardless of the note played.

I'm not talking about centering the beat frequency, although I love that feature, nor modulating it with key tracking! :)
But that's what I meant as well.

Gently detuning OSC 2 from OSC 1 via FREQUENCY, instead of BEAT FREQUENCY, is *exactly* what I think you're asking for.

The result will be beating that increases in frequency as you go higher and slower as you go lower (unlike BEAT FREQUENCY which will keep the difference, in Hz, the same across the whole range of the keyboard).

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:54 pm

And just to say it a different way, at 12 o'clock the Beat Frequency is off. It would be cool if this pot had a detente at twelve to make it easy to adjust.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:And just to say it a different way, at 12 o'clock the Beat Frequency is off.
But...I did say it that way ;-)
_DemonDan_ wrote:Leave BEAT FREQ at 12 o'clock and it is effectively off.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:52 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:It would be cool if this pot [BEAT FREQ] had a detente at twelve to make it easy to adjust.
I'm just guessing here, but I think the reason that FINE TUNE, BEAT FREQ, and KBD TRACK are the only three bi-polar knobs on the Sub 37 that don't have a center detent is because you often need high resolution not far away from 12 o'clock.

Imagine how frustrating it would be if you were trying to get an exact beat frequency and, right as you got close to it, the knob jumped into the detent.

Again, just a theory.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:58 pm

yep that's pretty much the deal. there is actually a (virtual) detent around 12:00 on the Osc2 Frequency and Beat Freq knobs, so if it's at 12:00 then there is really zero detuning. The reason there isn't a physical detent is to make it easier to do very tiny adjustments near 12:00.

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Amos wrote:yep that's pretty much the deal. there is actually a (virtual) detent around 12:00 on the Osc2 Frequency and Beat Freq knobs, so if it's at 12:00 then there is really zero detuning. The reason there isn't a physical detent is to make it easier to do very tiny adjustments near 12:00.
I love this. All these kinds of fascinating details should be in the manual as side notes! (Not kidding)

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Amos wrote:yep that's pretty much the deal. there is actually a (virtual) detent around 12:00 on the Osc2 Frequency and Beat Freq knobs, so if it's at 12:00 then there is really zero detuning. The reason there isn't a physical detent is to make it easier to do very tiny adjustments near 12:00.
At first I was a tad frustrated by not having the detents, but now I have found some situations where not having the detents is just what I needed to get the right sounds happening :-)

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks guys! Will try when I get home and unpack my new 37! :)

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:28 pm

Cool. Makes total sense!