Little Phatty - put presets in order of a song/repertoare

Everything Phatty.
alockstrom

Little Phatty - put presets in order of a song/repertoare

Post by alockstrom » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm using the Little Phatty Stage II when I play the bass in a
"House"-band (the genre).
I want to be able to use different presets after another in one song and
I don´t know how I should "program" it in the best way.

I want to be able to click forward/back to the next sound/preset in the
song and also be able to lay songs (like 5 presets) in a row after each
other and be able to switch the order of these songs quickly when I play
live if I need to change the order of the songs.

Do you have any suggestions of how I could do this?
A friend of mine thought that it maybe could work by sending a signal to
an iPad app and then back where you adress in the app which presets
should be under each song (?).

/alockstrom - Sweden

Stuka

Re: Little Phatty - put presets in order of a song/repertoar

Post by Stuka » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Check out the "Performance Sets" feature of the Little Phatty -

detailed starting on page 50 of the users manual.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

alockstrom

Post by alockstrom » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks!
Will check it out!

alockstrom

Post by alockstrom » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:25 am

I have made a Performance set, but the thing is that I would like to use like four presets and then go back to for example the first one in the second verse and switch to the second preset in the chorus.
When I use the Performance set I can only go forward, not back (right?). Isn't there a way to do this??

I must save some space in the Performance sets since it's only 32 presets to fill with presets for like 10-15 songs. Can I in some way increase the mount of presets able to be saved in the Performance sets?

Do you have any suggestions otherwise how I could work something out. My friend told me that I eventually could hook up the LP by sysex and connect it to an iPad and run some kind of app which could work as a "Song-preset-holder" where the app sends a signal to the LP to tell it that in this song when I push a "button" in the app I change to the next sound in the song (aka another preset). Is it duable? I'm not that good in the technical area.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:03 am

If you're willing to use an external controller to change your presets, you can open up all kinds of possibilites!

You don't have to use SYSEX messages -
MIDI program change messages are MUCH easier to use (less cryptic!), and should do exactly what you want it to do.
You could set up a bunch of Program Change controls that would let you jump directly to any preset on-the-fly, with no menu diving required.

(Note that if you want to actually load in new presets to the LP's memory, you WOULD need to use a SYSEX app and messages, but that's not necessarily something you would want to try "on the fly", since the LP is essentially "offline" until the transfer successfully completes).

The iPad makes a GREAT MIDI controller for stuff like this ~
I use an app called MIDI Designer, which lets you, fairly easily, create a custom MIDI control surface to do exactly what you want to do!
You will need some sort of MIDI interface between the iPad and your LP; if you aren't planning on putting a computer in the mix, an interface like the iConnect Mio should work great for you, and fairly inexpensively.

You could setup a "Preset Select" page using MIDI Designer, with as as many dedicated preset buttons as you want, each one sending a Program Change MIDI message that points to a specific preset position in the LP. These would be setup using the "radio button group" feature then ensures only one button in the group is active at a time, so no conflicting MIDI commands are being sent to your gear. Once these are setup (would actually only take a few minutes to do!), all you would have to do is tap the desired button, and your preset is instantly loaded and ready to play.

BTW -
There's a few of us on this forum that have made custom MIDI Designer apps to use for Moog gear.
If you check out the MIDI Designer web site, you'll find apps for the MoogerFooger Delay, Animoog, and Filtatron, as well as a controller I built that lets you access all the "behind the scenes" settings on the Little and Slim Phatty's from just two touch screens. :)

Note you don't need anything to use these apps other than your installation of MIDI Designer:

http://mididesigner.com/community/
http://mididesigner.com/qa/1910

Good luck -
Keep us posted!!

Randy
Last edited by Stuka on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:46 am

With the performance mode, you can also put the focus on the position in the performance set, and turn the knob to navigate back and forth. But tyou must be accurate when you just press it since a slight turn can mess things up. But hey, if I manage to do it, anybody will :)