_DemonDan_ Sub 37 Medley

Everything Sub.
MoogProg

Re: _DemonDan_ Sub 37 Medley

Post by MoogProg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:25 am

WOW. They sound almost exactly the same! I'll post mine later today when I can make a quick recording for SC.

Also, really enjoying the whole set of sounds on my headphones right now. Thanks for posting.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:42 pm

OK. Here's a Soundcloud link to the Seascape sound I created. One minute of ocean-side relaxation!

https://soundcloud.com/michael-h-geimer/seascape-sub37

Surf comes from Noise with Filter EG on a slow loop. Same Filter EG allows the birds to come and go, since they live in the high frequencies. Bird chirps come from OSC2 @ 2' with a heavy dose of upwards sawtooth LFO on pitch. Chirp chirp chirp! Whale sounds come from OSC1 and its SUB OSC with a downward sawtooth affecting pitch, for the slow swoops. Same slow sawtooth LFO turns the SUB ON/OFF partway through each note (to create the illusion of two whales), and a Gated Glide is also pulling the notes around. There is furthermore a latched sequence of tri-tones to keep whales ever changing.

Jeffery&wayne

Post by Jeffery&wayne » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:29 pm

Loved the last organ! The sub 37 can wear so many hats!

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:23 pm

Hey Dan,
While you're at it any tips on the "Moog's been Good Patch?" That's always been a notoriously difficult sound to nail. I have a friend who's trying to choose between the Sub 37 and a certain vaporware synth. He's a total nut about that song (it's a good song to be a nut about). I'd love to show up at his studio with THAT sound and bring him over to the Moog side of the force.
:D

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:40 am

B3 guy wrote:Hey Dan,
While you're at it, any tips on the "Moog's Been Good 2 Me" patch?" That's always been a notoriously difficult sound to nail. I have a friend who's trying to choose between the Sub 37 and a certain vaporware synth. He's a total nut about that song (it's a good song to be a nut about). I'd love to show up at his studio with THAT sound and bring him over to the Moog side of the force.
Hi B3 guy,
The synth part of Joe Walsh's "Life's Been Good To Me So Far" is one of those patches that seems hard to make until you understand this:

It's simply an oscillator that *doesn't* track the keyboard going into a resonant filter that *does* track the keyboard.

That's it! So... how do you get a Sub 37 oscillator to *not* track the keyboard?

DUO MODE lit with neither the LO or HI LEDs lit.

Have only OSC 2 up in the MIXER

Use OSC 2's FREQUENCY knob to set your drone's pitch.

Set FILTER EG AMOUNT to zero (12 o'clock) and KB TRACK to 1:1 (12 o'clock)

Now, the oscillator will always play the drone note while the resonant filter emphasizes its harmonics based on which keys you play.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:13 pm

Yep, that's the sound! Thanks!