_DemonDan_ Sub 37 Medley

Everything Sub.
_DemonDan_

_DemonDan_ Sub 37 Medley

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:46 am

Hi All,

Here's an mp3 demonstrating some Sub 37 presets I've made.

The recording was made from the Sub 37 directly, with no processing, overdubbing, or effects.

In most cases, the only things moved were Keys, Mod Wheel, Pitch Bend, and Aftertouch.

Some have an Arp or Sequence. On DSOTM I tweaked Cutoff and Resonance in realtime.

On "Orgn -> EXT IN = Fooled!" I fed the Sub 37 with a Korg KROSS drawbar system I made.

Patch List:
Statistical AnalYsis, I Moogbot, Tap Dancin' Horse, Free-Range Arps, DSOTM, Pleasant Lead, Make Art, Machine's Welcome, Maximum LEDs, Hidden Cove, Martian Sdctrss, Captn' Caos, Moogacello, Glass PolyRhythms, Abrasive Lead, Per Sonality, Syncro Niceties, A Gritty Romance, Orgn -> EXT IN = Fooled!, Trans Sister Organ, Moog's Been Gd2MeSoFr, and Paraphonic Popcorn.

I hope they give you some inspiration to dig deeply into this amazing instrument:

https://soundcloud.com/demondan-1/sub37-danielfisher
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

jido-genshi

Re: _DemonDan_ Sub 37 Medley

Post by jido-genshi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:54 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:Hi All,

Here's an mp3 demonstrating some Sub 37 presets I've made.

The recording was made from the Sub 37 directly, with no processing, overdubbing, or effects.

In most cases, the only things moved were Keys, Mod Wheel, Pitch Bend, and Aftertouch.

Some have an Arp or Sequence. On DSOTM I tweaked Cutoff and Resonance in realtime.

On "Orgn -> EXT IN = Fooled!" I fed the Sub 37 with a Korg KROSS drawbar system I made.

Patch List:
Statistical AnalYsis, I Moogbot, Tap Dancin' Horse, Free-Range Arps, DSOTM, Pleasant Lead, Make Art, Machine's Welcome, Maximum LEDs, Hidden Cove, Martian Sdctrss, Captn' Caos, Moogacello, Glass PolyRhythms, Abrasive Lead, Per Sonality, Syncro Niceties, A Gritty Romance, Orgn -> EXT IN = Fooled!, Trans Sister Organ, Moog's Been Gd2MeSoFr, and Paraphonic Popcorn.

I hope they give you some inspiration to dig deeply into this amazing instrument:

Really very nicely done! And the DSOTM is one of the nicest versions I've heard yet... Pink would be proud! ;-) Other nice classic sounds from The Who to Joe Walsh!

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Nice stuff Daniel, I like the weirdness around 10.00.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:07 pm

greenborder wrote:Nice stuff Daniel, I like the weirdness around 10.00.
Thanks!

It's two Square Wave LFOs sync'd at different units of the beat, each alternating between two musical intervals, one assigned to Osc 1, and the other to OSC 2.

Then, Pitch and Mod Wheels affect each Oscillator differently.

That section was performed almost entirely with just Pitch Bend and Mod Wheel.

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:16 pm

That WGFA emulation is spot on. My jaw dropped when I heard that (I am a huge Who fan)!!!! I have a Hammond SK-1 and will have to give it a try myself. I am pretty new to this synthesis game tho, and would def appreciate a PM with some pointers to get me going in the right direction.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:46 pm

mrberger wrote:That WGFA emulation is spot on. My jaw dropped when I heard that (I am a huge Who fan)!!!! I have a Hammond SK-1 and will have to give it a try myself. I am pretty new to this synthesis game tho, and would def appreciate a PM with some pointers to get me going in the right direction.
Square wave modulation of Amp.
Triangle wave modulation of Filter.
That's it!

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:32 pm

wow, that sounds almost too easy! lol tks again.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:38 pm

mrberger wrote:wow, that sounds almost too easy! lol tks again.
It's all easy, once you break it down.

Chemishev

Post by Chemishev » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi, loved the "Martian Sdctrss" preset, what I think I'm hearing is a 2 OSC in action, one square wave and one sawtooth? and Arpeggiator with +2 oct range. Not sure if its in Duo Mode tho, am I on the right path? If not, could you break it down for me, please? :)

I also like the the previous one "Hidden (((Cove)))", all I'm hearing is a Pink noise, S&H and a triangle? wave bass.. no idea how you've done that but I'd love some explanation of it as well :))

Many thanks

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Chemishev wrote:I also like the the previous one "Hidden (((Cove)))", all I'm hearing is a Pink noise, S&H and a triangle? wave bass.. no idea how you've done that but I'd love some explanation of it as well :))
I'm not near a Sub 37 right now, but I have a pretty good memory of how I made Hidden Cove. It was an experiment in seeing if I could get three different synthesizers out of a single Sub 37.

A slow Looping Filter Envelope modulating the Low Pass Filter Cutoff is creating the waves from the Pink Noise.

The lighthouse horn is, as you guessed, a Triangle wave at a very low octave. Its lack of high frequencies make it immune to the modulating Low Pass. It's also the only Osc that's responding to Pitch Bend, so I have unique pitch control over it. I'm also using one of the MODs to create a pseudo volume Envelope that's modulating the OSC's MIXER level.

The seagulls are, again as you guessed, being modulated by Sample & Hold. They are affected by the filter but, not in a way that you'd notice. The MOD Wheel is used to bring the seagulls in as desired.

Hope that helps. (I'll have to listen to Martian Seductress again to remember how I did that.)

Chemishev

Post by Chemishev » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:40 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
I'm not near a Sub 37 right now, but I have a pretty good memory of how I made Hidden Cove. It was an experiment in seeing if I could get three different synthesizers out of a single Sub 37.

A slow Looping Filter Envelope modulating the Low Pass Filter Cutoff is creating the waves from the Pink Noise.

The lighthouse horn is, as you guessed, a Triangle wave at a very low octave. Its lack of high frequencies make it immune to the modulating Low Pass. It's also the only Osc that's responding to Pitch Bend, so I have unique pitch control over it. I'm also using one of the MODs to create a pseudo volume Envelope that's modulating the OSC's MIXER level.

The seagulls are, again as you guessed, being modulated by Sample & Hold. They are affected by the filter but, not in a way that you'd notice. The MOD Wheel is used to bring the seagulls in as desired.

Hope that helps. (I'll have to listen to Martian Seductress again to remember how I did that.)
Alright, thanks, that was a proper explanation. I've imagined it without even having the synth in front of me.
I'd love to hear about the Martian Seductress one :)

lushr

Post by lushr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Para phonic pop corn?

Nice organ too! Was it ext in? If so what was it?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:53 pm

lushr wrote:Para phonic pop corn?
I'm showing my age. It was a hit when I was 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfdLh0MHqKw
lushr wrote:Nice organ too! Was it ext in? If so what was it?
If you mean "Organ -> EXT IN = Fooled!" then the Ext Organ was something I built up from sine waves on a Korg KROSS.

If you mean "Trans Sister Organ", that's all Sub 37.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:56 pm

Chemishev wrote:I'd love to hear about the Martian Seductress one :)
_DemonDan_ wrote:I'll have to listen to Martian Seductress again to remember how I did that.
OK, now I remember why it was hard to remember how I did Martian Seductress...

I'm using Random as the SOURCE in MOD 1 to modulate the PITCH DESTINATION (OSC 1, 2, or BOTH) of MOD 2, which is using a Square wave as the MOD 2 SOURCE.

So... The two LEDs under PITCH AMT in MOD 2 are both randomly blinking, causing three different versions of square wave pitch modulation.

The MOD WHEEL is regulating the depth of the randomness such that, when the MOD WHEEL is all the way down, the blinking is far less frequent and usually has both LEDs lit. When the MOD WHEEL is all the way up, both LEDs are going crazy.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:57 am

MoogProg wrote:Thanks Dan! Everyday, I go into the Sub 37 and try out new Mod routings, and new ways of asking the Sub to do more than mono[phony]. Cracked me up the night I came up with a sound simulating the ocean, two whales singing, and finally seagulls flying by on occasion.
Hi MoogProg,

Very cool! I did something almost exactly like that as well.

It'd be interesting to hear the differences between our versions.

Check out my patch, Hidden (((Cove))), at 6 minutes, 30 seconds: