A couple of Phatty questions (newbie)

Everything Phatty.
esmeets

A couple of Phatty questions (newbie)

Post by esmeets » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Slim Phatty or Minitaur.
Got a couple of questions, hope you can help me out a bit.

1. Is the Phatty capable of creating raw, modern sounds?
2. Would you recommend it for a EDM/Techno producer? (music style: http://youtu.be/zYk22-HO19o)
3. Is the Phatty filter the same as the Minitaur filter?
4. Does the Slim Phatty output its arp data via the MIDI out? (to arpeggiate another synth)
5. I allready own a Virus TI for lead sounds. Would you recommend the Phatty as extra synth?
6. Does the Phatty take 30-40 mins to become totally stable in its tuning?

Thank you

IgorCristo

Re: A couple of Phatty questions (newbie)

Post by IgorCristo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:35 am

Lets go!

1. Yes, the Slim is able to create some aggressive modern synth sounds. You can always add some effects too!
2. For sure!!
3. No. They are basically based on the same architecture electronic-wise, but different in character.
4. I didn't try it myself, but I do know that via USB-MIDI it doesn't.
5. Yes. I think that it covers the things you're missing with your Virus, such as a massive bass sound.
6. It depends on which version you're getting. My Little Phatty doesn't take that long (about 5 minutes), but some people here have problem with temperature/pitch instability, mainly with the Slim Phatty.

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:15 am

4- My Little Phatty (SE2) can either send arpegiatted notes or keyboard played notes via MIDI. Last OS here.

6- My Little Phatty is full op in a matter of minutes, say 10-15 max. I've read the Slim Phatty generally takes longer. If you live in a not too cold region, this is less a problem though.

You'll like one or the other :)

esmeets

Post by esmeets » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Thanks
Any more users here who could help me out here?
I'm still not sure if I should buy the Minitaur (second hand about $525) or the Slim Phatty (second hand about $610)....

deadhedgehog

Post by deadhedgehog » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:40 pm

I have an LP not a SP but they are the same. Used to have a Minitaur. The Minitaur has massive bass, but so too does the phatty. And the phatty can do loads of other stuff too, so I would go for the SP personally.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:11 pm

A second vote for the Slim Phatty too...
Never had a Minitaur, but the Slim is capable of só much more, that it's simply a no-brainer from a musician point of view. The bass on the Minitaur is certainly better, but it's also way more limited. The Slim is just an "all you want" Moog.
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

ttimotthhtty

Post by ttimotthhtty » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:08 pm

I use both and certainly think the Slim is a superior product; I center most of my music around it now. In fact, a $525 Minitaur is a bit overpriced for a second-hand unit.