Slim Phatty firmware upgrade problems

Everything Phatty.
trapezius

Slim Phatty firmware upgrade problems

Post by trapezius » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:32 am

Hi. First post. Kinda bummed out as this happened at a VERY critical time, so bear with me.

Tried to upgrade the SP firmware, followed every instruction and so on. The problem is, the Phatty Loader can't find the firmware file. I get an "error 3" message, and no matter what I do I can't get it to understand that I'm giving it the file. Now my SP is dead, I can't send the firmware, can't play it, in the middle of recordings and I don't know what to do. Have already contacted support, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

Any alternative software for sending hex files? Hopefully the SP is fine, but it's a bit braindead at the moment without firmware.

jsumners

Re: Slim Phatty firmware upgrade problems

Post by jsumners » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:37 pm

This should be a lesson in "if it ain't broke don't fix it." If you have a "critical" need for the synth, and it is working as you need it to, don't go screwing around with the firmware.

It sounds to me like you're going to need to contact support. But I'll say this: I am unable to send patches to my Slim Phatty via MIDI DIN. I _have_ to use USB to send them to the synth. I can send them to my computer just find over MIDI DIN. But if I try to send patches to the synth, all of the patches get corrupted. Just a quirk I live with, and might help with your problem (if you haven't tried USB yet).

trapezius

Post by trapezius » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:09 am

I know, but I always upgrade things whenever I find a new version of something. :oops:

Actually I fixed it. For some strange reason the loader wouldn't work on a Win7 64bit system, even if I re-downloaded and put it in a different location. My old ancient Windows XP laptop however, it ran it perfectly and we brought it back to life again.
So yes, possible bug there. If anyone else should run into this problem, try a different computer/operating system. :)

By the way, why don't they use a .syx file? That is a lot more common. I tried to find alternative software to transfer the .hex file, but that was really hard.

Meneer Vincent

Post by Meneer Vincent » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:34 am

Just bought a Phatty
Yesterday I was happy and made a lot expermenting
Today I thought it was time to upgrade. I wish I never dit it.

Followed step by step on my macbook pro with a good cable and no hub.
Uploades the firmware but the midi din't blink..
After that try to restart and nothing happend

Only the LFO rate is blinking.
No sound nothing.
Is there a way to reboot. Dis try with factory reset but even the bank don't blink...

Help needed

Update
Thanks for all the help MOOG SUPPORT. Everything is working fine now.
Last edited by Meneer Vincent on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:06 pm

The manual says the OS is updatable via SysEx, but nothing about the firmware. They could be separate things (though they are usually one and the same). So, I don't know.