Slim Phatty connection lost/firmware problem

Everything Phatty.
Rafał Obarski

Slim Phatty connection lost/firmware problem

Post by Rafał Obarski » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Hello,

I'm an owner of Slim Phatty synthesizer, but recently USB completly stopped working. SP is not visible not only in my DAW, but also in Windows Device Manager. Sysex software that I'm using (Bome's SendSX) always recognized SP among MIDI devices, but now SP is not on the list of available machines. This problem appeared out of nowhere- one day it just stopped working, I was trying different cables and USB ports, even tried with another laptop but SP is always not visible after connecting via USB. I tried firmware update- but it failed, because Phatty Firmware Updater also doesn't see my device (so I ended with SP without OS and it's not working at all).

Also, when I open Phatty Firmware Updater I get this message: can't open file (error 3:the system cannot find the path specified). But updater actually opens and seems to work, but of course it doesn't see my SP because it is not visible on my computer at all (the issue is on Win7 64 bit).

I will greatly appreciate any advice regarding this issue, my synth is now completly unusable. Is there any possibility to send firmware to my SP at this point?

I will be grateful for any help,

Best Regards

unfoog

Re: Slim Phatty connection lost/firmware problem

Post by unfoog » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:52 am

Did you try to reset it to factory settings? This maybe helps...

Rafał Obarski

Post by Rafał Obarski » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:48 pm

I think the USB is not working because of a physical damage- some time ago my computer shut down because of a short circuit- after this everything seemed to be working fine, but since then USB has stopped working (although it's strange because SP was turned off, but still connected to my PC at the time of a short circuit so who knows). So i assume USB module in my phatty is fried. I've called service and they told me that damaged USB should not affect rest of the synthesizer. I'm ready to give up with the USB problem, but there's another- I've earased my Phattys OS while trying to do firmware upgrade (I thought it could help with the USB). So now I have to send firmware by MIDI. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it- Moog Music software designed to this called PhattyLoader gives me "error 3:the system cannot find the path specified" at start and when I try to open firmware .HEX file with it, resulting in "Error:can't open file message" at the bottom of it's window. Do you know what might be causing the problem, or what other software can I use to send firmware in .HEX file to Phatty?

Update- Ok, so I've tried older updates for SP and these don't give me any error messages. But still Phatty is not receiving any data- I don't know why. I'm using two devices which can act as USB MIDI interface- M-Audio Keystraion 49e and Behringer BCR2000- I configured them to receive data from my computer by USB and send it to SP by MIDI out. Also I've picked right device in Moog's update software, according to instructions that came with the update. Synth still shows "Please Send Firmware" message on it's LCD, any ideas what's going on here?

breun

Post by breun » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:11 am

Maybe another user on this forum can help you, but it sounds like you'll definitely want to contact Moog Support for assistance. They're the experts after all.