Slim Phatty pitch CV not for keyboard

Everything Phatty.
ttimotthhtty

Slim Phatty pitch CV not for keyboard

Post by ttimotthhtty » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Slight gripe.. but more importantly a word to those wanting to utilize Pitch CV in on the Phatty with a keyboard: The Pitch CV in is intended for an expression pedal -- not a keyboard. This means it doesn't respond accurately to 1V/Octave or 1.2V or anything linear. There is a mod we can pay for (currently $90).

This might be important to anyone who's stumped using CV keys (like I was). I'm new to the CV world and not sure how common this is, but I didn't notice mention of it in the manual.

Otherwise happy with the Slim.

karnekull

Re: Slim Phatty pitch CV not for keyboard

Post by karnekull » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 am

Hi there,
Well that's news to me! I guess i'm kind of disappointed, but good to know, though.
Do you know of any official info on this? I can't find anything on the 'net.
And do you know where you can get the cv-pitch mod done?

All I read everywhere is that the slim tracks (artound) 1V/oct, but as i can tell, it's not that simple, I posted this subject previously;
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21606.
I'm trying to hook up the slim with a Pitch to CV module, but can't get it to work properly, and now i know why.
Thanks anyway ;)!

ttimotthhtty

Post by ttimotthhtty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:49 am

Official word comes from an email exchange with Moog tech support; they'll perform the mod. Apparently it involves cutting traces and precision soldering. You could perform the mod yourself, however it'll void the warranty and still cost $25 for the instructions/parts.

I looked over your post and had different readings from my Slim, which averaged around 1.1 V/Oct. This might be alright if it were linear.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:11 am

A few things...

First a question; why the insistence to play CV Pitch into these Moog devices which are not calibrated as such?

If you want to use an analog sequencer, then use an analog sequencer, not one which has a quantizer between it and the Phatty; If you want to use a Pitch ribbon, then go for it, it's smooth analog voltage and imprecise so it's up to you as where perfect pitch is.

... or, just buy a Midi->CV interface that will do +/- like the Kenton or the MP-201

There really are not many CV only keyboards out there anymore; even the new synthesizers.com keyboard is Midi first. Max 49 also.

I was told that the Little Phatty Tribute was one of the few modern Moog synths that had a trimpot within to more properly scale the pitch; was never able to verify it on mine.

Curious if there is some other use case/studio setup that really needs native CV with not other option.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

ttimotthhtty

Post by ttimotthhtty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:29 pm

Not sure I follow your question. Are you asking why I'd like to use a CV keyboard instead of MIDI? Sorry for the obvious answer: I have gear that uses CV and I'd like it to control the Slim. This thread is a PSA for other people in my shoes who didn't assume the Slim required a mod for CV Pitch calibration. Of course many options exist.. and thankfully Moog offers a solution if someone doesn't prefer MIDI.

karnekull

Post by karnekull » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi again, thanks for your reply.

I just checked, and my slim seems to run at about 1.12-1.13 V/oct, seemingly quite linear, from 220 hz up to about 3520 Hz, given my cheap muliltmeter with two decimals.
Maybe i'll go for the mod, only my residence is in Sweden so i'll have to check on the prices over here.

In my opinion It would be nice to in a simple way be able to attenuate this down to somewhere around 1 V/Oct. The reason of course being using the slim with other cv gear in an more or less analog context.

When i got my SP i took for granted (being new to using moogs) that the pitch CV jack was properly calibrated and usable with other CV gear, so i guess i am kind of surprised that it's not that simple! My mistake, i guess!