Question about Sysex and blank presets

Everything Phatty.
Slim00004

Question about Sysex and blank presets

Post by Slim00004 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi Everybody this is my first post on the forum. I purchased a SP when it first came out but just recently began to explore the various features in depth. While checking out some tube vids I came across one where they had programmed new presets and wrote over the original presets -- this was my first exposure to the potential of sysex and I decided to acquire his presets through an online download.

At this point I realized the USB connection was not the best transmission line between the SP and my computer, after some research and some more $$ I got a proper USB/MIDI connection and a successful transfer. However, this patch only has about 64 presets leaving the rest blank.

What I need to know is how to write to those remaining slots without writing over the new ones. I downloaded everything for the Phatty off the Moog site and I would like to be able to pick certain presets and fill in those "blanks". Can it be done?
SP #00004, Roland SH-3, ENSONIQ halo zr-7, Korg X-5, Memotron rack, Etherwave +

Stuka

Re: Question about Sysex and blank presets

Post by Stuka » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Welcome to the forum!!

To fill in the "blank" preset slots in your patch set, you would need individual preset SYSEX files for each additional preset you wanted to add to your SP.

The Slim Phatty will let you send or receive individual presets (which are sent to/from the "currently selected" patch slot on the SP) or bulk transfers, which sends to/from the entire patch memory on the SP. So, it is definitely "doable" via SYSEX, but it might take several SYSEX saves & transfers to get your patch list built the way you want it. (Once you have your presets built, do a bulk dump from the SP so you have a backup! If you ever need to do a factory reset on the SP, all your custom presets get dumped...).

Check out the related documentation in the SP manual on pages 42 - 44.

BTW, the LP/SP librarian(available from Moog) actually works pretty well for me for creating custom presets and patch sets for the Little & Slim Phatty's. It's not "perfect", but for the most part it works quite well, and in the long haul it's worth the cost, IMHO.
(The VST plugin, on the other hand, has proven to be a waste of $$ for most users, it seems. I haven't tried that one...)

ALso, keep in mind that as long as the SP has the current 3.x firmware, the SP can use the same presets as the Little Phatty, so that gives you some more preset options to play with. 8)

Randy
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...