Little Phatty II update - First moog

Everything Phatty.
Alemarquez

Little Phatty II update - First moog

Post by Alemarquez » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:26 pm

I just got my Little Phatty II! Is my first moog product.
Can anyone help me with the basics? There is any software so Little Phatty II can be controlled from my macbook? Where can I find it?
Can I buy sounds from moogmusic.com and upload them into the synthesizer? How can I do it?

Thanks a lot

IgorCristo

Re: Little Phatty II update - First moog

Post by IgorCristo » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of analog synthesizers! :)

Before anything else, I must say that now you have a real synthesizer, where somethings such as "adding custom soundbanks made by other people" isn't as usual as on ROMplers (almost everything else).

At first I would recommend watching videos about subtractive synthesis and READ THE USER MANUAL (get comfortable with how your synth works). AutomaticGainsay's channel at YouTube is excelent! Learning the basics of synthesis is fundamental on your new journey with your new Moog. Actually, the Little Phatty is a way better choice than the Sub Phatty! Congrats on that!!

When it comes to using the synthesizer, begin tweaking everything in blocks. First mess up with the oscillators, later with filter, after that envelopes, and for last, the modulation/LFO part. Analog synthesizers are really unique and I'm pretty sure you'll learn everything you don't already know in a very short period of time.

As for software to control it, any DAW can control everything. Other than that, you won't need anything else to control the front panel. It's really easy to find almost everything you need. LCD navigation is also pretty easy after you learn the basics.

There's a paid software that you can use as a librarian, but it's not something I would recommend. You won't need it right now.

If you have more doubts, please share!

Cheers,
Igor
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

DonutDude

Re: Little Phatty II update - First moog

Post by DonutDude » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Moog has provided us with free presets that you can download from this site. Go to the Phatty product page and click on downloads. There you will find 4 additional preset banks that you can use in your LP. You can also load the Slim Phatty presets into your Little Phatty as well. I use the free program Midi Ox to upload presets into my LP. MidiOx is a Windows program. There is also a free Mac program available as well, but I can't remember what it is called and I haven't used it.

Welcome to the world of knob turning, not button pushing. Enjoy your new LP!

Mark