Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

Sending MIDI / Sys Ex Messages

Little Phatty • Slim Phatty • Sub Phatty • Sub 37

Sending MIDI / Sys Ex Messages

Postby sam.skirrow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:08 am

Hi,
I have just bought a Moog Little Phatty and am programming up sounds for a live show that I'm touring. Since there are a lot of different sounds, I'll be doing quite a few patch and control changes throughout the song, therefore I've decided to use a MIDI controller to control all of this.

My ultimate aim is to be able to program the MIDI controller so that when I hit button 1 (for example) it selects patch 32 on the LP, then when I press button 2 it selects patch 33 AND turns on the arpeggiator and then button 3 selects patch 34 and turns the apreggiator off. To me it sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult. A friend of mine sugested sending sys ex messages (although my controller can also send MIDI messages) - my question is. Does anyone know what the sys ex message would be to change patch and turn on/off the arp?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest how I'd do it with MIDI commands?

Thanks,
Sam
sam.skirrow

Re: Sending MIDI / Sys Ex Messages

Postby breun » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:58 am

I'm not familiar with the Little Phatty, but if this is possible it should be listed in the MIDI implementation chart in the synth's manual.
breun

Postby sam.skirrow » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:03 am

Thanks Bruen,
Yeah I've been getting my head around it a little more this morning, there is a list of MIDI CC messages which I'm looking at - patch changes are working fine. But for some reason I can't switch the Arp on via MIDI - there is a CC message for it but it doesn't actually do anything, anyone had any experience trying to turn the ARP on via MIDI??
sam.skirrow

Postby Stuka » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:41 am

The Little & Slim Phatty's have VERY extensive MIDI implementation, and everything you want to do can definitely be done by MIDI.
(And a whole lot easier than using SYSEX, commands, IMHO...)

Assuming you have Stage II with the latest official firmware release (OS v3.1) - be sure to check out the Manual Addendum for all the latest MIDI capabilities. (you can get a copy from Moog tech support of it wasn't included with your LP).

FWIW -

It sounds like what you're wanting to do would be a PERFECT use for a MIDI interface-equipped iPad and a customizable MIDI controller app like MIDI Designer (my preferred!) or Lemur. Learning to use either of those apps would probably be considerably easier than learning to write & debug SYSEX commands!

Here's a thread where I discussed a MIDI Designer template I built that accesses ALL of the MIDI-controllable features of the LP & SP.
It does a lot more than you probably need, but it can give you an idea of the capabilities:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20127&hilit=MIDI+designer

Keep us posted on your project -
Good Luck! :)

Randy
MG-1, Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-102, MF-104M, MF-105M, CP-251, Animoog, Filtatron, ..and stuff...
Stuka

Postby Stuka » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:38 pm

sam.skirrow wrote:Thanks Bruen,
Yeah I've been getting my head around it a little more this morning, there is a list of MIDI CC messages which I'm looking at - patch changes are working fine. But for some reason I can't switch the Arp on via MIDI - there is a CC message for it but it doesn't actually do anything, anyone had any experience trying to turn the ARP on via MIDI??

Check page 39 of the LP manual ~

EACH preset needs to have the ARP function enabled (there is also a MIDI function for that) before the front panel or MIDI ARP run command will work. ARP enable status is a "per preset" function that can be saved as part of the preset.

Also, make sure the ARP clock source is set to INTERNAL ~
If set to MIDI, the ARP will not trigger unless a MIDI clock signal (but NOT MIDI time code, or MTC!) is present at the MIDI IN or USB port.

Be sure to grab the manual addendum if you're running v3.1, as there are a few updates concerning ARP functions.

Randy
MG-1, Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-102, MF-104M, MF-105M, CP-251, Animoog, Filtatron, ..and stuff...
Stuka

Return to The Phatty Forum