From Logic to Sub Phatty?

Everything Phatty.
alpcohen

From Logic to Sub Phatty?

Post by alpcohen » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to music synthesis. I'm primarily a bass guitarist, but bought a Moog Sub Phatty this past summer for a new band I'm in. I've had a great time experimenting with it and coming up with my own sounds, but I have a quick questions for you guys about manufacturing a sound for a new track.

In my band, we often write collaboratively, but start with a demo recording made by one of us (usually our lead guitarist). We're working on a new song that has an excellent synth bass line and we're now trying to transfer that to a live band setting. The line was recorded in logic via MIDI using a Native Instruments VST (I believe). Trying to emulate the sound just using my ear and average knowledge of the Sub Phatty's functions so far has been unsuccessful, so that's where I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me.

What have you found is the best way to bring a sound made in logic or any other program to your SP? If I can get my hands on the logic file, would it be best to look at all of the parameters/settings and try to reproduce them on my phatty? Is it possible to load a MIDI sound as a preset into my synth?

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about this matter. Thanks for the help!

-Alex

tagirov

Re: From Logic to Sub Phatty?

Post by tagirov » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:31 am

I think the only real working way is to re-creatre a preset on the Sub Phatty from scratch.
You may duplicate a midi track and re-route it to the External Instument, then A/B the Logic's virtual synth track and the Sub Phatty track while tweaking the synth parameters until it sounds closer to the 'demo' track.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:25 am

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum!

To me the best way to do it is to try to recreate by ear, just as you started to do.

First off, Tagirov's advice is good adivce: if the MIDI track is not inside the VSTi, duplicate it or route it to both the VSTi and the Moog. Then A/B the tracks.

Try to listen to specific characteristics of the sound of your VSTi and try to find whcich parameter on the SubPhatty is getting you closer to the result ou want: number of oscillators, their ocave or pitch settings, waveforms, filter settings and filter envelope...
If you have access to the VST GUI, look at the settings: easier, maybe ;)

Last thing: don't get stuck in trying to get the exact same sound; sometimes what you get somewhere on the road is better than what you're looking for.

Happy Christmas guys :)

alpcohen

Post by alpcohen » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:10 am

Thanks for the responses, guys! Excellent advice re A/Bing the two sounds. I will see if I can get into the original sound's VST GUI and tinker with it.

When I was going by ear last week, I was having trouble making the SP sound rounder and fuller, rather than the usual sharp and aggressive that is so easy to get on this synth. I know it can be done--I just have to spend more time with it.

stiiiiiiive, I agree about not trying to duplicate the sound exactly...I just want to get something that's in the ballpark at least as a starting off point.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:28 am

alpcohen wrote:When I was going by ear last week, I was having trouble making the SP sound rounder and fuller, rather than the usual sharp and aggressive that is so easy to get on this synth.
Set the MULTIDRIVE to zero for starters...

breun

Post by breun » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Also definitely play with setting the filter to 1, 2, 3 or 4 pole (see manual for under the hood key combo or use the software editor). Makes a big difference!