Post by MusicMax » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:01 pm

I sent this e-mail to Moog tech support:

"I have a volume problem. Possibly something wrong with the Sub Phatty. When I
choose a patch and volume is set to 2 its loudness is ok but when I move the
volume knob just a hair it jumps to very loud and is deafening. I have
firmware 2.0.1 version 1.0.3. Should I return it and get another one? Its
only 2 or 3 days old."

I was told by Moog tech support:
"I would contact the store form which you purchased and see what they say. If they will exchange it that is great, but if not, contact me back."

From this I understand that the issue I am having is not normal. I have not seen any issues (so far) about this from anyone else.

Has anybody else?

I did contact the store and took it in for them to see and they are not sure if it's a problem overall with all Sub Phatty's or just this one. They are going to get another one for me.

Bald Eagle

Re: Patch Volume jumps to max

Post by Bald Eagle » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:27 am

Do all knobs behave the same way? If they do then it could be caused by the Knob Mode parameter. It's a hidden Shift Mode parameter. Here's an excerpt from the manual that explains it.

KNOB MODE
When you change presets, it’s unlikely that the positions of the knobs will match the values of the preset’s parameters. When you turn a knob to make changes, how it responds will depend on its mode.

To enter Knob mode, engage Shift mode and press BANK 2, BANK 4, PATCH 3, and PATCH 4. Press the low C to engage Snap mode, in which the value jumps to the knob’s current position as soon as you begin turning it. Press C# to engage Pass-Through mode, in which turning the knob has no effect until it reaches its preset value and then takes effect. Press D to engage Relative mode (the default), in which turning the knob up or down slightly causes a minor change in value, and turning it further causes a increasingly greater change in value. This allows the value to “catch up” with the knob’s position and prevents any sudden jumps.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:02 am

Would have said the same... Try it :)

MusicMax

Post by MusicMax » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:42 am

I checked and this is what I found.

Snap mode: Working as expected on all knobs but the volume which works normally (ie: doesn't snap which it should)

Relative mode (default): All knobs work normally except volume which snaps and shouldn't.

Pass through mode: Working as expected on all knobs including volume.

Seems to me that the relative and snap modes for volume are reversed.

Btw: In relative mode (default) if I turn the volume down it corrects and does not jump higher and then works normally. But if I turn it up the slightest it will jump very loud.
Very strange

CleverConQueso

Post by CleverConQueso » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:35 pm

Me too, sorta. I got used to not using my volume knob and run through a mixer since I need the external headphone amp anyway. I'm sure I have it set to not save the volume, I'm sure I have everything set to relative, I'm sure it jumps, can't say how loud. I assumed it was a software issue but decided to live with it.

My new work-around was/is to look at my patches in the editor and set all of the volumes proportional so that all of my patches make the same volume more or less from get-go. Then when I select a patch (playing live with a band) I turn the volume all of the way down and back up to half so that I can use the knob.

-CCQ

MusicMax

Post by MusicMax » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:18 pm

I left a reply yesterday and I do not see it. Why is that????

Any way here goes again!!!

KNOB Mode
Snap mode: Working as expected on all knobs except the volume which works like a normal volume knob which isn't correct in this setup.

Relative mode (default): all knobs work normally except the volume knob which jumps too loud when turned slightly up. If knob is turned back its fixed.

Passthrough mode: Working as expected on all knobs including volume.

*******Possibly snap mode and relative mode are reversed.*********

Also if setup is to allow volume of patch to be read whenever patch is loaded I can have volume at zero and its loud as patch volume.

DUBMCT

Post by DUBMCT » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:03 pm

I am having similiar issues.

It appears there is no relative mode for volume. When i choose relative mode, select a new patch with higher volume than current knob position, then move volume knob, it instantly jumps to the preset. I can observe this with the editor. Tried all 3 modes, and only snap allows the volume to be useable as it keeps the volume to where it is set on the knob, but then detracts from useability on the other knobs where i don't want it snapped to position.

From memory (as laptop decided to take a swig of beer the other day), it also appeared that relative mode in general didn't do much other than jump to preset once knob is touched, i observed maybe 15min of knob rotation before jumping to preset value. I would fathom that the initial sweep with minor change would require more knob movement than that.

I am running the latest firmware (i think, the one that came with the initial editor launch)

I love this synth, amazing what sounds you can get out of it!
MOOG: micro/sub/37/M32/DFAM/105m/MF delay/MF trem