Slim Gate in from drum trigger?

Everything Phatty.
Vitja

Slim Gate in from drum trigger?

Post by Vitja » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:42 am

Hi!

I have a nice idea for new concept of making music.

I'm wondering if you can use drum trigger to open the gate in Slim Phatty.
On other side, is it possible to set the Slim to work with just Gate in to trigger the envelopes and in the same time
running pitch on MIDI in without triggering this notes?

Here is the idea:

Let say I have a sequence of Long Bass notes in Live and I run them to Slim over USB.
I don't want that this notes are heard (Note ON) on their own, but rhythmically played with the Bass Drum of a drummer.
So, If you change the root note (Slim handles it) of a chord every bar it would be great idea that just pitch changes but rhythmically it is controlled with bass drum trigger running into Slim.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanx

Vitja
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

stiiiiiiive

Re: Slim Gate in from drum trigger?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:32 am

Hey Vitja.

That's a good idea :) I've never tried while thinking of it some times over the years: a drone whose pitch is controlled through a ribbon and whose volume and filter characteristics are controlled through an audio processor working on a whole mix or a drum mix…

To do that, you would have to filter the NOTE ON and NOTE OFF MIDI messages from Live or they will trigger the envelopes anyway.
If you have a MIDI to CV converter, it remains the simplest solution for disassociating of pitch and trig signals.
For a MIDI(overUSB)-to-CV converter for €50-60, be sure to check the Mutable Instruments CV Pal!

About the GATE now, just check the drum trigger sends a impulse which voltage matches the one expected by the SP. Also check the duration of the impulse: I think the CV inputs can be sensitive to that parameter.

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:50 am

Yes, I actually have a MIDI-CV - MP201 :D
But I think I can fiter MIDI notes on/off with M4L MIDI filter. And maybe I can try this with trigger going into my MF-101 and than envelope out to Gate in. I remember that I did this with guitar and it was working!

I really want to try this out!
And I will hook up another trigger to MINIBrute Audio in, which acts as a trigger input, and you can adjust it's threshold.

In my band, I'm the only one that plays bass synth, and I love it, but I want to try this concept out. I think It is gonna work great.

I will post some results when I have some.
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Just on top of my head, and without having tested it... it seems to me you got everything you need.

You can program 2 different midi-to-CV channels (gate and note) from two different incoming midi channels with the MP-201.

Put the notes on midi channel 1, the drum on midi channel 10 (standard drum midi channel) and send to MP-201.

Program the MP-201 to process midi channel 1 as CV1 (note), CV2 (gate). Same with midi channel 10 (drum): CV3 (note), CV4 (gate)

Use CV1 out of the MP-201 into the slim pitch CV input, use CV4 into the Slim Gate CV input.

That should work!

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:56 am

I know that this should work, but instead of gate from MP and MIDI I want to use real trigger from Bass drum to open the gate.
And I don't wont to use Mp-201 since I really don't use it for this band.
It would be super cool if I could buy a little box that converts an audio signal into Gate and trigger. Something like this is what I want in next CP. Alternative is Doepfer envelope follower. Really cheep and nice, but than I need power and housing.

Another thing that I don't know how to achieve is filtering the note on end note off from Live.
Actually something like pitchband but with MIDI note editing.
I cant find a M4L device that can do what I want.
I will try something with Midi Translator pro.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Vitja wrote:It would be super cool if I could buy a little box that converts an audio signal into Gate and trigger.
I see on your equipment list that you have a MF-101. The Env Out of your MF-101 will trigger the SubP nicely. It does my Minitaur.

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Yes, this does work, but would you spend all LPF goodness to get a decent trigger? :wink: