Problem with SubPhatty 64bit VSTi: hardware disconnected

Everything Sub.
robml

Re: Problem with SubPhatty 64bit VSTi: hardware disconnected

Post by robml » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:21 am

Thomas Greco wrote:When in Ableton using the VI the editor wont save preferences. The editor in turn does nothing. Not sure how to get the virtual instrument working properly. :(
the VI plugin is for the legacy version of logic (9) only.

use the normal version and it should work fine.

Thomas Greco

Post by Thomas Greco » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Stange it doesnt say this in the downloaded "read me" that cam with the dll's and standalone exe. I'm on a PC I guess this is why.

Thomas Greco

Post by Thomas Greco » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm finding that all preferences choices are not saved in Standalone or vst editor. Making the editor unworkable in a DAW or Standalone. :?:

robml

Post by robml » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Thomas Greco wrote:I'm finding that all preferences choices are not saved in Standalone or vst editor. Making the editor unworkable in a DAW or Standalone. :?:
are you saving your presets in the editor? if you give a more detailed usage scenario, and how you expect it to work someone may be able to help you.

Thomas Greco

Post by Thomas Greco » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Well I'm not trying to save presets. I'm trying to get the editor to work properly in Ableton so I can record midi and audio. The standalone Editor wont save midi preferences in the Editor and global settings nor will it in Ableton. The standalone has worked but wont stay consistent. Not sure why it will function in Standalone sometimes but other times it doesnt function. The global settings in the Standa alone version should be saved after picking the options and should also reflect in Ableton. Both versions simply dont work. Need to get this working and find someone who's using this in Ableton Live (PC) to show me how they set it up. Thats it in a nutshell. thx.

andyctaylor

Post by andyctaylor » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi Amos

Can you add my name to the progress list. I've just got a sub phattyans I run mac 10.7.5 with cubase 7. The standalone editor crashes almost immediately after selecting the global midi in/out settings as USB only or USB and Midi. The plug in version also crashed within cubase a few seconds after opening.

Please let me know as soon as a fix is available

'Thanks

Andy

jgo

Post by jgo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:03 am

I've had similar problems trying to control an esq-1 via sq-8l and an alpha juno with some vst can't remember the name of. In both of those cases I could only get them to work correctly (parameter control, transmit patches, etc while still being able to sequence) by using 2 midi separate devices and merging them outside the DAW. The midi device that is used for patch programming/storage needed to be turned off in the DAW or the DAW would break it, not pass cc, crash etc. Sucks, but it seems not uncommon for popular DAWS to fail to pass cc or barf on seeing it or to be crashy in general when trying to share a midi device.

Luckily, the subphatty has 2 sets of midi in/outs so the annoying midi merge step is not necessary. Just use the subphatty editor on the usb interface and send sequencing and pitch and modwheel stuff over the 5 pin (turn that one on in your DAW).

mixpan

Post by mixpan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:26 am

@ jgo
I think that what you're saying is: work with the editor outside the DAW and control sub phatty only with midi in and out within the DAW (no editor needed)- which actually defeats the purpose of a VSTi. I hope Moog is making some progress on the issue, because the problem with DAW integration in Windows remains...

UserSense

Post by UserSense » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi!

I have the same problem... Standalone works fine although I've experienced some crashes every now and then. VSTi version doesn't respond at all, "hardware disconnected" showing in the preferences tab.

Windows 8.1 64bit
Cubase 7.0.6

jgo

Post by jgo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:06 pm

mixpan wrote:@ jgo
I think that what you're saying is: work with the editor outside the DAW and control sub phatty only with midi in and out within the DAW (no editor needed)- which actually defeats the purpose of a VSTi. I hope Moog is making some progress on the issue, because the problem with DAW integration in Windows remains...
I'm sorry, that's not what I'm saying. I always use the vst version. The subphatty has two midi inputs, the usb and the regular old midi. In your DAW's own settings, disable its recognition of the USB interface. Enable that one in the subphatty's vst editor. You will then have to control all sequencing in your DAW via the 5 pin on a midi track out to that interface on a midi track in your project. Moog's subphatty editor will load up with your DAW project and send the correct patch to the synth. Don't think of it as a "VSTi", think of it as a patch programmer and automatic patch loader for you project.

In some DAWs you may have to load the editor as an effect for whatever reason.

What I was saying about the other juno and esq1 editors (as vsts) was that I had to do pretty much the same thing BUT those synths only have one midi in so I have to use a hardware or software merger outside the DAW, which is a bit of a pain and something you have to remember to keep turned on or set up each time. The subs spiffy dual midi in thing fixes that problem for me.

Maybe it seems like a workaround because you will have to blow both a midi out and a usb port, but so far the moog editor has been very convenient for me considering some of the pains I have had with connecting hardware to computers since things went all DAW vs. computer sequencer style.

It may be windows' fault, I don't know, but I just know that letting some DAWS see a midi interface seems to cause conflicts and/or sysex and stuff to get blocked. I also know that the problem is not exactly unique moog's editor. Anyway, I'm not trying to lay blame or make excuses, just trying (poorly) to explain how I got it to work nicely for me (all inside of a DAW project) and maybe someone else can benefit.

Hecate

Post by Hecate » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Hey there,

I'd like to add my name to the list:
I just updated my SP firmware and installed the Editor today; the Editor has some functionality but the Hardware remains Disconnected for some reason (Get/Send preset not working etc.)

Thanks very much for your help!

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:23 pm

Thomas Greco wrote:Well I'm not trying to save presets. I'm trying to get the editor to work properly in Ableton so I can record midi and audio. The standalone Editor wont save midi preferences in the Editor and global settings nor will it in Ableton. The standalone has worked but wont stay consistent. Not sure why it will function in Standalone sometimes but other times it doesnt function. The global settings in the Standa alone version should be saved after picking the options and should also reflect in Ableton. Both versions simply dont work. Need to get this working and find someone who's using this in Ableton Live (PC) to show me how they set it up. Thats it in a nutshell. thx.
To get it to work with Ableton in Windows you need to make sure you have it connected by both USB and DIN MIDI.

Set up your Abelton MIDI preferences with:

INPUT "Moog Sub Phatty" OFF
INPUT "your MIDI interface" ON
OUTPUT "Moog Sub Phatty" ON
OUTPUT "your MIDI interface" ON

Set up the channel like this using the external instrument plugin and of course the SubP VST editor:

Thomas Greco

Post by Thomas Greco » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Strangly with this config there is not option for subphatty to pick in "midi to" on the external instrument down below? Also if I choose subphatty out in abletons preferences the subphatty word to left goes an orange color unless i also turn sync on as well for subphatty out? Not sure why? How do you have your preferences in the subphatty set, is it the same as the manual shows?

Thomas Greco

Post by Thomas Greco » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:41 pm

Actually I have it functioning with subphatty clicked off in Lives preferences and have it playing back the midi i recorded but I'm wondering how to get automation to show up in the arrangement view? At this point I can only see the automation I've done in the clip view down below. I'd like to see it on the arrangement view timeline. Do you know how to do this? Clearly i dont lol. Can I add a macro to the external instrument?

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Thomas Greco wrote:Actually I have it functioning with subphatty clicked off in Lives preferences and have it playing back the midi i recorded but I'm wondering how to get automation to show up in the arrangement view? At this point I can only see the automation I've done in the clip view down below. I'd like to see it on the arrangement view timeline. Do you know how to do this? Clearly i dont lol. Can I add a macro to the external instrument?
Yes Sub Phatty input needs to be off.

If you are in the arrangement view you will record automation to the track, if you are in the session view you will record automation to the clip.

And yes you can add macro anything.