Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

Sub Phatty's editor's communication protocol

Little Phatty • Slim Phatty • Sub Phatty • Sub 37

Sub Phatty's editor's communication protocol

Postby subb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Hey,

I was playing around with TouchOSC (an iOS and Android application similar to the Lemur) and I was able to control the hidden parameters of the Sub Phatty with it. However, when changing patch on the Sub Phatty, the TouchOSC UI didn't update, since all that is sent by the Sub is a program change message.

I was wondering what was the implementation of the bi-directional communication between the editor and the Sub. Does the editor send a special message to the Sub when it receive a program change that then cause the Sub to dump the patch/current edit buffer? Something else?

I think it would be interesting to implement the editor (at least the hidden parameters section) in an iOS/Android app. Coupled with something like the iRig Midi, you could play with the Sub without a "computer". If there's an interest (and Moog is not already working on something like this), I could start an open source project.
subb

Re: Sub Phatty's editor's communication protocol

Postby subb » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:44 am

Alright. Well, I've got most of the sysex commands figured out by now (I'll share them in a proper format later). The only thing missing is the preset format. I think it might be compressed or encrypted (I doubt), since changing a single parameter in the preset changes a lot of the data in the preset file.

I'll keep searching, but if anybody want to give it a try, I would be grateful.
subb

Return to The Phatty Forum