Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.2.1

Little Phatty • Slim Phatty • Sub Phatty • Sub 37

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby Amos » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:03 pm

mico wrote:When the update is done, should the 'Activate Panel', 'Pitch Amount', 'Hard Sync', 'MIDI' and 'LFO rate' stop blinking? I'm asking because I sent it over via C6 through MIDI DIN In and they are all still blinking.

they should definitely stop blinking, and the Sub Phatty should restart.
This suggests to me that the Sub Phatty did not receive the update, or it timed out.
If the MIDI LED is blinking a lot faster than the LFO LED, that means the transfer was interrupted.
In that case you should check your preferences.. make sure turbo limit is set to x1 for Moog (no turbo on our gear), maybe increase the delay.

If you have any trouble with the update, you can always turn the Sub Phatty off/on and try again.
I suggest using USB to send the firmware update, rather than DIN, next time.

Make sure that the Sub Phatty is selected in C6 as your Midi output device... when you send the firmware,
you should see the MIDI LED blinking on and off, as well as the LFO LED (although they will not be in any kind of sync with each other).
If you don't see both LEDs blinking on and off slowly when you send the firmware, let me know...
Amos
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby mico » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Amos wrote:
mico wrote:When the update is done, should the 'Activate Panel', 'Pitch Amount', 'Hard Sync', 'MIDI' and 'LFO rate' stop blinking? I'm asking because I sent it over via C6 through MIDI DIN In and they are all still blinking.

they should definitely stop blinking, and the Sub Phatty should restart.
This suggests to me that the Sub Phatty did not receive the update, or it timed out.
If the MIDI LED is blinking a lot faster than the LFO LED, that means the transfer was interrupted.
In that case you should check your preferences.. make sure turbo limit is set to x1 for Moog (no turbo on our gear), maybe increase the delay.

If you have any trouble with the update, you can always turn the Sub Phatty off/on and try again.
I suggest using USB to send the firmware update, rather than DIN, next time.

Make sure that the Sub Phatty is selected in C6 as your Midi output device... when you send the firmware,
you should see the MIDI LED blinking on and off, as well as the LFO LED (although they will not be in any kind of sync with each other).
If you don't see both LEDs blinking on and off slowly when you send the firmware, let me know...

Crap...turned it off and back on. Now all that happens on startup is the 'LFO Rate' LED is blinking at a slow pace. Can't get the LEDs of 'Activate Panel', 'Pitch Amount', and 'Hard Sync' to blink when trying to enter back into the update mode.

I have to say, I'm fairly worried.

Before restarting, the 'MIDI' LED was blinking faster than the 'LFO Rate' LED, if that helps troubleshooting the current problem.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty
User avatar
mico
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby Amos » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 pm

don't worry, just connect USB and send the new firmware sysex!

I should have been more clear, with the LFO LED blinking like that it's ready to receive the firmware now.
The MIDI LED blinking faster means that there was an error during the previous attempt (via DIN)... watch the MIDI LED during the transfer, it should blink at roughly the same rate as the LFO LED, for the whole duration of the transfer.

you're way more cautious than me, I'd have tried sending it again by now :)
Amos
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby mico » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Amos wrote:don't worry, just connect USB and send the new firmware sysex!

I should have been more clear, with the LFO LED blinking like that it's ready to receive the firmware now.
The MIDI LED blinking faster means that there was an error during the previous attempt (via DIN)... watch the MIDI LED during the transfer, it should blink at roughly the same rate as the LFO LED, for the whole duration of the transfer.

you're way more cautious than me, I'd have tried sending it again by now :)

Well, that is a relief.

I adjusted the Turbo to x1 which was originally set to one and increase delay to '5' (each integer being representative of 1/60th of a second) and I'm still getting the 'MIDI' LED indicating an interruption. I switched to USB and the results were the same. My MIDI interface is indicating that it definitely sending data, but there seems to be something gone awry.

Is there anything specific in sample setting I should check for? I've never had this sort of problem with my Elektron OT, though I did start updating it via compact flash as of late.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty
User avatar
mico
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby tungchihyu » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:29 pm

I haven't got time to test the firmware yet, but have you tried using other sysex utility to update your Sub Phatty?
tungchihyu
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby ZYKLIFF » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:09 am

Hello Amos! I do think I just encountered a few bugs....

Regarding Global Note Priority (I prefer Last Note Priority)... Last note only works when the "last note" is higher in frequency, but does not work when the note is lower in frequency. For example, try holding down middle C, and while still pressing Middle C, press B to the left of that C and B will not sound. That's how it is over here, and I'm not in a preset... Panel is active...

The other occurred while using one of mi Preset Patches. I reached for the Master Volume, and the moment I moved it, the Oscillators changed (drop in Octave'). Very strange. I changed out of the patch and went back to it. Same behaviour.

Has anyone else run into these?
ZYKLIFF
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby tungchihyu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:26 am

ZYKLIFF wrote:Hello Amos! I do think I just encountered a few bugs....

Regarding Global Note Priority (I prefer Last Note Priority)... Last note only works when the "last note" is higher in frequency, but does not work when the note is lower in frequency. For example, try holding down middle C, and while still pressing Middle C, press B to the left of that C and B will not sound. That's how it is over here, and I'm not in a preset... Panel is active...

The other occurred while using one of mi Preset Patches. I reached for the Master Volume, and the moment I moved it, the Oscillators changed (drop in Octave'). Very strange. I changed out of the patch and went back to it. Same behaviour.

Has anyone else run into these?


Try a full system initialize?
tungchihyu
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby tungchihyu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:49 am

Amos wrote:OK, here is Sub Phatty firmware version 1.1.1:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/ph ... _1_1_1.syx

This version fixes the loud volume on startup (it is now the preset volume, or the real volume knob position, depending on the "use preset volume" global setting)...

Also fixed two "Activate Panel" issues: first it works in Local Off mode, second it always gets the real Mod Wheel position.

Lastly, Cutoff filtering is better now, with no glitches in Ableton (I still recommend Local Off mode for times when you are recording/monitoring MIDI at the same time... if any other Local Off bugs please let me know so I can fix them).

Cheers,

Amos


Hi Amos,

I just tried the patch, it did fixed the start up volume bug, cutoff has no glitches and it reads the current mod wheel position (only if the mod wheel function survives after a bit of automation...)

But here are the problems:
I have noticed a bug when recording with Ableton, after a bit of recording/automation in Ableton, it killed the whole mod wheel function.. it just stopped working. Please see the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMM4Qawg6-4

EG amount seems bugged. When monitoring set to in or auto, the whole sound would just disappear randomly after I tweak it for a bit. Same problem as this video that I posted earlier, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uvri1y1x1k (jump to 1:00)

Automation recording, sometimes the first few notes that I recorded could be totally silent. (happened in both LC on and off, it happens with 1.0.4 as well)


I have reverted back to 1.0.4.

I would be gladly to do any beta firmware testing if the distributor of Moog could lend me a testing unit.. (I am in Taiwan)... until then I will keep my Sub Phatty safe for a while :p

Thanks
tungchihyu
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby mico » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:06 am

tungchihyu wrote:I haven't got time to test the firmware yet, but have you tried using other sysex utility to update your Sub Phatty?

I did and to no avail. So what I ended up doing is checking if my interface (iConnectMIDI) needed a firmware update. It did so I performed the update for it, converted to the "new" factory default (as the app used to manage routings does not work with the old firmware), and tried SysEx again via DIN and wah-la: firmware updated.

Anyways, testing the new firmware, I am wondering if the mod wheel is meant to track its current position or is it fixed to wherever it was when the preset was initially saved? I'm asking because its placement is inconsistent when switching between patches.

Oh and yes, the startup volume bug has indeed been remedied. :)
ZYKLIFF wrote:The other occurred while using one of mi Preset Patches. I reached for the Master Volume, and the moment I moved it, the Oscillators changed (drop in Octave'). Very strange. I changed out of the patch and went back to it. Same behaviour.

Has anyone else run into these?

I tried all the patches I made to see if I could repeat the error you're experiencing but I'm not getting it. The master volume is acting as it should. :?
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty
User avatar
mico
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby Amos » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:30 am

mico wrote:Anyways, testing the new firmware, I am wondering if the mod wheel is meant to track its current position or is it fixed to wherever it was when the preset was initially saved? I'm asking because its placement is inconsistent when switching between patches.


This is a global setting; you can choose to use always the real mod wheel position, or to load a saved mod wheel value when switching to a new preset (the current mod wheel position is always saved when you save a preset).
See the bottom of p.35 of the manual: http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default/ ... AGES_0.pdf

Glad you got the update sorted! For some reason, sysEx is usually the first thing to not work when a MIDI interface needs a firmware update, even when standard MIDI is still working on the same interface.
Amos
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby mico » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:05 am

Amos wrote:This is a global setting; you can choose to use always the real mod wheel position, or to load a saved mod wheel value when switching to a new preset (the current mod wheel position is always saved when you save a preset).

Ah, so it is fixed on what the mod wheel was set at upon saving the preset. I wasn't entirely sure as I didn't recall as to where the mod wheel was when I saved each preset, so I wasn't sure if the mod wheel was behaving as it should or simply moving to where it was based on the preset memory. Good to know everything is in order with the Shift mode parameter!
Amos wrote:Glad you got the update sorted! For some reason, sysEx is usually the first thing to not work when a MIDI interface needs a firmware update, even when standard MIDI is still working on the same interface.

You and I both, mate. I was worried there for bit after having tried SysEx, but then when I saw others giving feedback on the new update, I knew there was only one other variable left to troubleshoot: the interface.

Sure enough, I was quite a few updates behind. Downloading the new iPad app to manage the interface and adjusting the routing without checking the if the interface needed a firmware update was definitely a mistake on my behalf.

I haven't really dove into the new firmware too deeply yet. I'll likely have more time to do this tomorrow as I am rather busy today. So far though, there hasn't been any noticeable hiccups. Then again, I can't say I'm really looking for them either.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty
User avatar
mico
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby Amos » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:00 pm

ZYKLIFF wrote:Hello Amos! I do think I just encountered a few bugs....
Regarding Global Note Priority (I prefer Last Note Priority)... Last note only works when the "last note" is higher in frequency[...] I'm not in a preset... Panel is active...

Hi zykliff! I understand this, a global reset will fix it, also a "reset parameters" while panel is active will fix it.
(shift mode, bank3+bank4+patch1, press low c# twice)

ZYKLIFF wrote:The other occurred while using one of mi Preset Patches. I reached for the Master Volume, and the moment I moved it, the Oscillators changed (drop in Octave'). Very strange. I changed out of the patch and went back to it. Same behaviour.


No, never seen this.
Definitely try a global restore (shift mode, bank3+bank4+patch2, press low c# twice) and see if it still happens...

thanks!
Last edited by Amos on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amos
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby ZYKLIFF » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Amos wrote:
ZYKLIFF wrote:Hello Amos! I do think I just encountered a few bugs....
Regarding Global Note Priority (I prefer Last Note Priority)... Last note only works when the "last note" is higher in frequency[...] I'm not in a preset... Panel is active...

Hi zykliff! I
understand this, a global reset will fix it, also a "reset parameters" while panel is active will fix it.
(shift mode, bank3+bank4+patch1, press low c# twice)

ZYKLIFF wrote:The other occurred while using one of mi Preset Patches. I reached for the Master Volume, and the moment I moved it, the Oscillators changed (drop in Octave'). Very strange. I changed out of the patch and went back to it. Same behaviour.


No, never seen this.
Definitely try a global restore (shift mode, bank3+bank4+patch2, press low c# twice) and see if it still happens...

thanks!


Okay, Amos, that did it! Thank You! I can tell Sub Phatty and I are going to be very happy together... Playing it reminds of the first time I plugged in an electric guitar. Can't stop smiling.
ZYKLIFF
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby Rexington » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:58 am

understand this, a global reset will fix it, also a "reset parameters" while panel is active will fix it.
(shift mode, bank3+bank4+patch1, press low c# twice)
will either of these functions erase the preset memories ?
Rexington
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:55 am

Re: Sub Phatty post-release firmware v1.1.0

Postby tungchihyu » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am

Hi Amos,

Were you able to recreate any of the problems that I have experienced with v1.1.1?
tungchihyu
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Phatty Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Chemishev, CommonCrawl [Bot], Voila [Bot] and 1 guest