Moog SUB PHATTY

Everything Sub.
stiiiiiiive

Re: Moog SUB PHATTY

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:04 pm

1- LFO has several ranges indeed (2 or 3) and goes up to 1 kHz. That's quite enough to go FM since, if OSC2 cannot modulate anything, LFO freq can be tracked through the keyboard and the modulation bus has 3 simultaneous destinations, namely pitch, waveforem and cutoff, with independant amounts. About the waveform and pitch, you can choos to apply the modulation to oscillator 1, 2 or both.

Edoardo_P

Post by Edoardo_P » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:35 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:
Edoardo_P wrote:Maybe a Moog synth with these easier and in-tune (all-the-way-through) oscillators is coming.
This was the statement I found confusing. Here you're implying the Sub Phatty oscilators are hard to stay in tune, despite lack of evidence to support that statement.
No, I meant that the SubPhatty oscillators are EASIER to stay in tune, so maybe bigger-sized Moog synths featuring these ones are coming.

filtered

Post by filtered » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:33 pm

No, I meant that the SubPhatty oscillators are EASIER to stay in tune, so maybe bigger-sized Moog synths featuring these ones are coming.
After 5-10 minutes, my Voyager stays in tune just fine; all 3 Oscs, for the entire show/session/noodling- I don't understand this hype? My LP took a little bit longer, but not enough time to matter- You turn it on, then run your cables, duh...

museslave

Post by museslave » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:58 pm

I gotta say... sometimes I wonder why some of you are interested in Moogs.

DESPITE its extremely stable oscillators, the Sub Phatty has a great tone.
Why do I say "despite?" Because you don't want stable oscillators. The hassle involved in tuning an oscillator is WELL worth the benefit... the benefit is usually variable waveshape and frequency. Why is that a benefit? Because such things gave Moog modulars their desirable quality. Sounds in nature have variable waveshape and frequency. We are accustomed to hearing "flaws" in oscillators due to eons of training. A really stable oscillator has metric waveform and perfect frequency. To the human ear, that is extremely unnatural. Lots of people dig that sort of thing... but such things are NOT why Moog synthesizers have been traditionally popular. "Flaws" like imperfect and varying waveshape, unstable frequency, distortion, and etc. are the reasons people chose Moog modulars over other modulars, and why the Minimoog was chosen over other synths. Yep... you gotta tune them... but for your "effort," you get a really gorgeous tone.
In regard to the Sub Phatty... yep, the oscillators are incredibly stable. However... Moog has made them really pleasing. While I would always advocate for wild, rich oscillators which require frequent tuning but give you a very "natural" sound, the Sub Phatty's oscillators sound great as synthesizer oscillators and provide a very usable sound.
Lastly... STOP WORRYING ABOUT TUNING. If you care that much about tuning, you have no business being interested in analog. For a person with even half an ear, tuning is quick and easy. Look at guitar players, fer cryin' out loud. You want flawless tuning? Stop wasting your time and go digital.

[I have a Sub Phatty in my possession, and I'm working on a demo of it. I'm not just adding an unfounded 2¢]
Last edited by museslave on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.youtube.com/user/automaticgainsay
www.myspace.com/automaticgainsay2
www.myspace.com/godfreyscordialmusic

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Preach Marc! I seriously can not wait for your SubP demo (oh, and also your metasonix s-2000 demo when you get it :wink: )
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:13 pm

I'm finally watching Amos' NAMM demonstration of the Sub. He's making me want one soooooo bad.... WHY? I have a Moog already! Why do I feel like I need one of these? Marc, I'm really looking forward to seeing your demo.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:02 pm

filtered wrote:
After 5-10 minutes, my Voyager stays in tune just fine; all 3 Oscs, for the entire show/session/noodling- I don't understand this hype? My LP took a little bit longer, but not enough time to matter- You turn it on, then run your cables, duh...

I think it mainly comes from the slim which could take an hour for osc2 to reach stability. This was an issue for users that wanted to use the preset bank in live performance and had little time between power on and when they had to go on stage. The tune is easily corrected. The timbral change was not for some.

dswo

Post by dswo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Sir Nose wrote:The tune is easily corrected. The timbral change was not for some.
I had a Slim and this was my problem exactly.
David Wilson-Okamura

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:37 pm

I don't recall my buddy having the tuning stability problem with his Little Phatty Stage. Must be a Slim Phatty design problem?

dswo

Post by dswo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:11 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:Must be a Slim Phatty design problem?
That little box packs a lot of heat. So elegant, though! I miss all of the colored lights, especially the knob collars. Even in September, my little guest room looked like Christmas.
David Wilson-Okamura

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:32 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:I don't recall my buddy having the tuning stability problem with his Little Phatty Stage. Must be a Slim Phatty design problem?
Correct. 5-20 min on the little phatty. 20 to 60 min on the slim. 0 min on the minitaur and sub phatty.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Sir Nose wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:I don't recall my buddy having the tuning stability problem with his Little Phatty Stage. Must be a Slim Phatty design problem?
Correct. 5-20 min on the little phatty. 20 to 60 min on the slim. 0 min on the minitaur and sub phatty.
I wonder why there is such a huge difference between the little and slim warm up times. Is it due to the smaller casing?
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

dswo

Post by dswo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:33 pm

ColorForm2113 wrote:I wonder why there is such a huge difference between the little and slim warm up times. Is it due to the smaller casing?
Apparently. See http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 69&p=83945 and http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 2&p=101613. One solution, it seems to me, would be to move the power supply out of the case. But I'm not an EE and nobody likes a wall wart.

Marc, I've already placed my order but I'm looking forward to your demos all the same. I don't know how many times I've watched Herb Deutsch on YouTube, but I did it again this evening.
David Wilson-Okamura

hooshirn

Post by hooshirn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Down home synthesizers a close nit cooperate family in loving memory?

And this here new sub phatty

Buy three and you get and eggroll?

I don't think some people get folk's like Bob and his original engineering team.

What he and his original team tried to design, I believe is something that was the exact opposite of a one finger chord wonder weeze organ something that had nothing in common with all that yak yakketty sale steam one finger chord squeeze cheese.
A new musically instrument not something with which to child's play a very ambitious dream requiring lot's of work and resourcing
probably had to cook a lot of stuff up themselves probably did not order out nearly as much Chinese as they do these day's of the global economic "Reality" a little secrete "Reality" is all shades of illusion as far as marketing is concerned.

I listen to the sales team.
This tubby subby just don't appeal to me, nope not all that much ethically
Neither doe's this under the hood feature set philosophy made with chip's stamped Chinese cheap.
if you can't put a knob on it don't bother is what the team with a self reliant work ethic dream of Bob might say
but I presume.

I just get the vibe of a bunch of kid's that know better than that old fool of the old work is fun ethic school.

And their philosophy that it's a good feeling to make stuff yourself that don't completely suck the life out of this economy.

I've listened to all the demonic demo's and
Perhaps I'm just not stable enough for this Heavy DCO controlled thingy, I got a poly 61 over in the corner built at the start of this
Digital control craze, it sound's like I'm poking a sharp stick into a bag a screeching rat's to tell you truthfully
We shall see about this new philosophy of down home Chinese di di di digital on the cheap chip tone cooking.
A world piled neck high in compulsion bought cheap not worth repairing piles of useless cheap chips.
The cheap chip crap trap? sucking the life out of this economy.
Liberty is a standard of living as much as anything.
I Suppose there are those that would like you to work as cheap as those overseas as they deflate this economy.
When you don't got enough money you's won't be so sassy a labor force no more.
That is the profit pimps philosophy
Have such profit pimps that made their deals with tyranny overseas invaded down home brew Moog?
Those that made the deal's with tyranny as up sprang the cheap labor factory's, profit pimp and their slavery?

Maybe I'm reading thing's mistakenly beside's I'm just messing with you guy's how the heck could anyone take this seriously
we got to much cheap chip crap to play with these day's
To much fiddle with crap to waste anytime on the last breath of of the work ethic that was Liberty.
Making stuff ourselves with our own ingenuity

Do we cook something ourselves are keep ordering out Chinese? tis a bit the quandary for the lazy kid's these day's
Hey I'm doing my part I'm as lazy as dam near anybody.

I've nothing against the Chinese in those factory's they had to hold their tongue and work cheap they were most likely starving
maybe will shall get to learn the same less'n all over again at Liberty's last breath.

Don't like this minatuar I did not order
it just has a cheap type misery mojo about it
maybe it's got the ghost's of some of those
slaving Chinese in it.
ground to bit's in some machine after working 37 straight for 8 day's a week "it's that are starving" the boss man might say low low pay.

Some giant machine invested of the profit pimp's dream
way back in the day far east and away from where we don't got to see nothing but price sticker's cheap.

I just like ranting I guess
The stuff I got designed with Moog's philosophy is great it has some laughing fun loving mojo about it
pride in design some how having a good time even if your working a bit of overtime to get it done on your time.
The ingenuity of Breathing Free.
Voyager XL, Minitaur,Theremen+, Fooger's, Midi delay and Midi murf, Freq box X 2, Ring mod, 101 Filter, Novation ultra station, ZR 76, MC808, Bent Casio's, 3 Speak and Spell's , M audio black box,Korg Monotribe, Ipad's with Animoog, Filtron on and on..