I've had the Sub Phatty for just under a week, using it like crazy.
Here are my positives + and -tives:
+ constant rate detune!!!!, maintains beat frequency difference between Osc1 & 2, wonderful!
+ sub osc, though not as important as i thought often cancels sound with other are OSCs' partials.
+ 2 x looping 4 stage (DAHSR) EGs!!! Would like to see a %percent function of overall time, so the length stays constant, but that's really a blue sky feature.
+ aftertouch/channel pressure to filter cutoff, nice one.
+ brighter high end on filter!
+ look/styling is good.
+ awesome 14bit midi implementation, you can seriously LFO/modulate anything with this.
+ 16 Presets - Perfect! More not needed, easy to access, brilliant for live work.
- All CVs are 0-5V, while on the Slim/Little Phatty that are -5/+5V (except for Volume) which means No Chance of metallic FM tones!!! FM has to add both negative an positive audio frequencies in a ratio to the carrier. This is a Biggie!
- the Multidrive, very disappointing, this knob it stays up all the time and still doesn't really grind. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlKTyMnxlq0
, Overdrive apparently has more teeth. Tried again tonight and not sure. Maybe test your listening volume with 0 Multidrive, then add it. It does not add much level which maybe the Overdrive does (manual ses +6db)
- the workflow, how can i say it: no indication of where my knobs really are, is a pain, I like the Slim/Little Phattys Knobs, best of both worlds. Just more of them please! Or 1 LED so that as you move the knob (in pick up mode) you can see it dim as you get close to the real value, and flicks off when you've matched it.
- LFO alway resets on gate. I can live with that.
- editor crashes (always) i'm sure this will be fixed.
- no cue ability, what's the point of a headphone jack if i can't use it with out the PA being sent to?!
Of course filter is !ace! and the even the EG pings in beautifully, just opening the VCA has a lovely suck/pop.
Seriously considering returning it for a microbute or Slim Phatty (i want presets!), which i would have got ages ago if the preset were not so middle of the road.