Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

envelope generator

Little Phatty • Slim Phatty • Sub Phatty • Sub 37

envelope generator

Postby dan thacker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:48 am

I know it takes a while to learn how to navigate one's keyboard,but for the life of me, I just can't seem to include my envelope gen. in manipulating the signal path in any sort of interesting way.Any suggestions [besides doing something rude with the keyboard],would be appreciated.Thanks.
dan thacker

Re: envelope generator

Postby Sir Nose » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Start simple to learn how the envelope generators interacts with the signal.

Mod wheel all the way down, OSC 2 amount zeroed, key track at zero, env amount at 12 o'clock. With these settings the filter cutoff should stay constant. Play with the amp envelope to hear what the envelope shape sounds like when it modulates the volume. Start with attack, sustain, and release at zero. Adjust the decay. Notice it ends even when the note is held. Play around to get a feel for the shape of the envelope and its effect on volume.

For both the amplitude and filter envelope, attack, decay, and release are time variables; sustain is an amount parameter (time for sustain determined by how long a key is pressed).

Now turn OSC 1 to a saw wave (it will be the easiest to hear the cutoff frequency being changed) and env amount all the way up. Turn attack, sustain, and release to zero. Set the amp decay long and listen to how different filter decays change the rate at which the filter is swept. Turn env amount to zero, then see if you could mimic the filter envelope by turning the filter cutoff knob as the note plays. Fast turn=short decay, slow turn=long decay.
Turn env amount all the way up again. Try a longer amp attack with a short filter attack. You should hear the filter beginning to close before the amp envelope reaches its max.

On the Amp ENV, turn attack, decay, and release to zero, turn sustain all the way up. Now when you press and hold a key it will be easier to identify what the filter envelope (except for release) is doing; since, the amp env is now a simple on/off.

One of the things that makes it difficult to hear initially is that a closed filter will allow a much quieter sound through than an open filter. So, the filter envelope does effect volume, just not directly.

With env amount turned to all the way CCW the filter cutoff is modulated by the envelope in the opposite direction. Instead of the attack acting like a clockwise turn on the cutoff knob opening the filter it is reversed. Decay, sustain, and release will now raise the filter cutoff back to the original value set by the cutoff knob.
Sir Nose

Postby dan thacker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:26 am

dear sir nose,thank you very much for your info.i can't wait to try those settings ,and i'll let you know how it went.thanks again.
dan thacker

Postby fuzulu » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 pm

nice topic , thanks for the post Sir Nose :)
fuzulu

Postby jimbourekas » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:31 am

It's nice that someone takes the time to answer to simple things.

I like this forum
jimbourekas

Return to The Phatty Forum