Encoder issues anyone?

Everything Phatty.
EMwhite

Encoder issues anyone?

Post by EMwhite » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:56 am

I've been very very careful with my Phatty but sure enough (mine is a Tribute), the encoder know is getting to the point where it is skipping/not registering and just feeling loose.

I've always turned it with two fingers on opposite sides of the knob (the Phatty at my local Guitar Center has had it, just due to rough handling across the short time it's been there).

So my question is: Anybody else? Not sure if the same caliber component was used across Tribute/Stage I/Stage II lines (I know the keyboard quality changed for the better).

My 2nd question is: how difficult will this be to get replaced? I've opened my Phatty and found a high number of solder points (more than a dozen I think); any ideas on how much Moog will charge for this 'repair'?

3rd question: any alternatives; There is a new product by an outfit called Teenage Engineering, they are a Swedish company that produces a product called the "OP-1". The fact that is' really cool is not that important: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2011/08/ ... -1-review/ The fact that they use "aircraft / military" quality components is impressive.

Experiences and thoughts?

Thank you in advance for the feedback.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Sir Nose

Re: Encoder issues anyone?

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:38 pm

I had mine replaced at the factory (stage 1). Overall the price was very reasonable. I forget the amount, since I also got a bunch of other stuff done to it while it was there to help absorb the cost of shipping. I do remember thinking it was cheap. They also backed the encoder with a washer, now it is rock solid.