Zipper noise from filter

Everything Phatty.
Gil

Zipper noise from filter

Post by Gil » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:05 am

Hi all,

I have a Slim Phatty, when I try to tweak the filter's cuttof frequency using a MIDI controller I get very audible aliasing (zipper noise). I have enabled 14-bit MIDI in the menu and I still get the same issue, I've tried a few different controllers as well (Nord Stage, Axiom 49).
When tweaking the filter from the SP itself the filter is silky smooth.
I have the lastest OS 3.1 as well as the lastest usb/midi firmware.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Thanks
Gil

geoscience

Re: Zipper noise from filter

Post by geoscience » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:14 am

Gil,

Are you recording from a sequencer (DAW) when you do this? I am using Abelton Live 8.2.2 and I am getting the same effect of the "zipper noise" when I tweak the filter both on My Stage II and Slim in record mode. But I have not tried using another controller.

-Geoscience

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:26 am

To the OP,
Is your controller setup to send 14-bit midi? The knob needs to be assigned the MSB and LSB, CC number and range. p.46 to p.50 of the axiom users guide

Gil

Post by Gil » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not using a DAW just controlling the Slim directly for live use.
I actually don't have the Axiom anymore, I just borrowed one from a friend to test it.
I'm mainly trying to get it to work smoothly with my Nord Stage 2 for live gigs.

I checked the Nord's manual and there's no mention of 14-bit MIDI. Does that mean I won't be able to get rid of the zipper noise?
Funny thing is, I noticed the same problem when tweaking the Slim's own filter knob in "track mode". Whenever the knob isn't alligned with the light's position, I get the zipper noise until they meet and the real analogue controls kick in I guess.

Still not convinced that this is normal behaviour... it's really noticable.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:37 pm

Gil wrote:(stuff deleted...)
I checked the Nord's manual and there's no mention of 14-bit MIDI. Does that mean I won't be able to get rid of the zipper noise?
Funny thing is, I noticed the same problem when tweaking the Slim's own filter knob in "track mode". Whenever the knob isn't alligned with the light's position, I get the zipper noise until they meet and the real analogue controls kick in I guess.

Still not convinced that this is normal behaviour... it's really noticable.
Many many controllers, and definitely many synths with Midi capabilities do not support 14 but Midi. And the technical translation of what this means is the different between 128 steps and 4096 (zipper vs smooth)

As for whether or not tracking mode uses an internally calibrated 7-bit range to 'catch up' is something that Amos will be able to quickly answer. If you have not already done so, try SEND 14 BIT to see if it makes a difference.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:59 pm

I pretty much always run the knobs of my stage in catch up mode. I have not noticed any zippering. I wonder if any other slim users notice the same behavior with their knobs. (Ha!)

I would think there should be no zippering when using the phatty's knob to control cutoff, regardless of the knob mode.

Maybe it has to do with the knobs that are used in the slim.

Real cheap solution, Behinger bcf-2000. Sends 14 bit, easy to program if you have windows machine, not too big.