LP Stage II or Tribute?

Everything Phatty.
Josef_K

LP Stage II or Tribute?

Post by Josef_K » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:47 am

Hi all,

I have decided to buy my first synthesizer, and it looks like it will be a Little Phatty. However, I was kinda disappointed with the design until I saw the Tribute edition, I just love those wooden panels. I have found a used Tribute and tested it, sounds great, just as good as the Stage II imo. But I know there are some differencies, for example different presets and lack of arpeggiator in the Tribute. Presets don't matter to me, and an arpeggiator could be nice but since I play classic rock I will probably not be using it that much anyway, not really my style. My question is, are there any other major differencies that might make me regret I fell for those wooden panels? I have read some about the recent Stage II update and there was not much I felt I couldn't live without, sure velocity would be nice but, not that important. I have tried to find a list on the internet describing the differencies between the two but have only managed to find small examples here and there.

Thanks in advance.
My Gear:
Nord Electro 2
Little Phatty Tribute Edition
Korg Monotron
Epiphone G400
Moogerfooger 12 Stage Phaser
EHX Memorytoy analog delay
Boss SD-1 Overdrive

Assar

Re: LP Stage II or Tribute?

Post by Assar » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:08 am

The Tribute has one LFO destination and Stage II has two.
The Stage II has midi over USB.
Minor problems, imho.

The Tribute needs a physical mod to be able to load OS2 or later. Check if that is done, cause there are some goodies in the later OS versions.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

tript

Post by tript » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:24 am

I wouldn't dismiss an arpeggiator. Not saying it will happen, but this being your first synth you might find yourself interested in experimenting with an arp down the road and then be a little irked you don't have one. It can be a fun option.

That being said, I use my Moog more melodically and for bass than textures...so I don't find myself needing an arp much either.

Josef_K

Post by Josef_K » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for the replies people!

Assar, I didn't know that, I tried a stage II out once and I never noticed the possibility to modulate two sources at the same time, is that accessible through the menu or was it just me not paying enough attention to the LFO? anyways like you say, it is a minor problem. I will check up what OS is installed in the Tribute, however it would surprise me if they have any clue in the shop, they really don't know that much about their used products. Is there an easy way to check what OS is installed? Maybe it pops up in the menu screen when you start the Moog? It does that with lots of other synths at least.

tript, you are very much correct, an arpeggiator could be a nice feature. However, after seeing Jordan Rudess play "On the Run" without a sequencer, I feel that maybe the lack of an arpeggiator could motivate me to practice my speed and finger-technique. I don't know if you have seen that clip, but it's one of the clips he did with Moog to promote the Little Phatty. Actually I am such a vintage fan that I actually consider wooden panels to be a more valuable feature than an arpeggiator ^^.

I think I kind of misunderstood the concept of OS upgrades as well. Are the OS upgrades separate for Tribute and Stage II? In that case they are both updated constantly right? I thought the OS updates were only for Stage II, since that's the latest version of the LP. But obviously there are OS updates for the Tribute as well :S
My Gear:
Nord Electro 2
Korg Monotron
Epiphone G400
Boss SD-1 Overdrive

Assar

Post by Assar » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:01 am

Josef_K wrote:Assar, I didn't know that, I tried a stage II out once and I never noticed the possibility to modulate two sources at the same time, is that accessible through the menu or was it just me not paying enough attention to the LFO? anyways like you say, it is a minor problem.
I haven't tried the Stage II. But I think the second LFO destination is set in the software menu, that there is no button for it.
Josef_K wrote:Is there an easy way to check what OS is installed? Maybe it pops up in the menu screen when you start the Moog? It does that with lots of other synths at least.
Look in the meny window when you start it up, the OS version will be displayed there.
If it is OS1.x, the physical mod will propably not be done (99,9% sure!).
If it is OS2.x or higher it is done (otherwise it couldn't use that OS).
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

Josef_K

Post by Josef_K » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:11 am

Ok, as I suspected. I wanted to try playing the LP while COMPLETELY ignoring the software menu, being such a vintage fan I wanted to see if I could do enough adjustments from the front panel. It passed the test ^^, even though I didn't have the possibility to test the 1-4 pole alternatives in the filter, nor discover this second destination.

I will check the OS version as soon as possible, I don't think I will be so keen on doing a physical upgrade the first thing I do, so if I buy it with OS1 I will keep it there for at least six months or so. That will of course be a limitation, but the Tribute might still be worth the 1 255$ imo, it is in perfect condition. Then again, the same shop also have a used Prodigy with Midi modificiations for 1400$... I must admit that I really wanted to like the Prodigy more, but in fact the Phatty sounds better in every way to me. A real vintage Moog would be cool, but won't be worth it in the end I guess, at least not as my first synth.
My Gear:
Nord Electro 2
Korg Monotron
Epiphone G400
Boss SD-1 Overdrive

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:38 am

If I was located in the UK I would scoop up the Prodigy which is being sold buy one if the folks here but I would still want a Phatty.

I bought my Tribute from eBay in perfect shape then took it to Moog for the 2.1t upgrade an CV out modification. Once the hw upgrade that associates 2.1t is complete, any code upgrade up to the latest, just released 3.1 code will load right up. I regularly assist Amos in debugging/testing the Tribute version of the code base. Tributes, being limited edition are very much in the minority of the near 10,000 Phatty's sold to date and a smaller number have the upgrade.

As you've learne by now the ARP can be yours with the upgrade and the Tribute has some hardware features that Stage does not such as trim pots that can be tweaked to calibrate the CV input.

I'd say go for it.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Josef_K

Post by Josef_K » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:00 pm

EMwhite wrote:If I was located in the UK I would scoop up the Prodigy which is being sold buy one if the folks here but I would still want a Phatty.

I bought my Tribute from eBay in perfect shape then took it to Moog for the 2.1t upgrade an CV out modification. Once the hw upgrade that associates 2.1t is complete, any code upgrade up to the latest, just released 3.1 code will load right up. I regularly assist Amos in debugging/testing the Tribute version of the code base. Tributes, being limited edition are very much in the minority of the near 10,000 Phatty's sold to date and a smaller number have the upgrade.

As you've learne by now the ARP can be yours with the upgrade and the Tribute has some hardware features that Stage does not such as trim pots that can be tweaked to calibrate the CV input.

I'd say go for it.
Oh, so u mean I can get the arpeggiator from the OS upgrade? That makes sense when I think about it though. If I get the Tribute I will probably wait some months and then do what you did, send it to Moog and let them upgrade both the hardware needed for the OS upgrade and the CV outputs at the same time. The Prodigy is a great instrument, but I simply feel that it is not wise to begin with buying a synth from 1983, it just feels like too much could go wrong. Better to go for the Phatty, only problem is that I won't have enough money for it until the end of next month, someone might buy it before me ^^ The same store once had a micromoog which they sold for 1300$ in like three days, I didn't even get to try it out haha. Anyway thanks for clearing this up for me.
My Gear:
Nord Electro 2
Korg Monotron
Epiphone G400
Boss SD-1 Overdrive

tript

Post by tript » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:43 am

Josef_K wrote:Thanks for the replies people!

tript, you are very much correct, an arpeggiator could be a nice feature. However, after seeing Jordan Rudess play "On the Run" without a sequencer, I feel that maybe the lack of an arpeggiator could motivate me to practice my speed and finger-technique. I don't know if you have seen that clip, but it's one of the clips he did with Moog to promote the Little Phatty. Actually I am such a vintage fan that I actually consider wooden panels to be a more valuable feature than an arpeggiator ^^.
I've seen the clip and learned it. Though, I did change it up after the first part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5DFNfZz6qs

I hope I'm wrong, but if you aren't motivated enough to work those chops now, getting one more board without the arp ain't gonna change things. Having said that: prove me wrong!

Good luck with your synth, whichever you choose!

Josef_K

Post by Josef_K » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:13 am

tript wrote: I've seen the clip and learned it. Though, I did change it up after the first part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5DFNfZz6qs

I hope I'm wrong, but if you aren't motivated enough to work those chops now, getting one more board without the arp ain't gonna change things. Having said that: prove me wrong!

Good luck with your synth, whichever you choose!
Hehe well, I am of course practicing my technique on my current gear, the Nord Electro 2. I just think that a synthesizer is more... suitable for playing arpeggio patterns, while an organ only should be at high speed during solos (normally). Most of my organ playing influences comes from Jon Lord, former member of Deep Purple. He sure played fast at times, way faster than I can, but he almost never played arpeggio-like patterns, and that is a slightly different technique imo. Still it's not like I'm gonna spend all my time trying to be able to play like a "human arpeggiator", I mean the whole reason why I don't make sure I get an arp is cos I don't really feel I will be using one that much ^^. Anyway thank you :D I can't wait until the end of next month, when I finally will have the money to buy one, whichever synth it turns out to be I'm quite sure that I will be completely crazy in it for some months haha :D
My Gear:
Nord Electro 2
Korg Monotron
Epiphone G400
Boss SD-1 Overdrive

Josef_K

Post by Josef_K » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:16 pm

Found out today that the current OS in the Phatty tribute edition I want is 1.02c. Not that impressing huh? :D I also got the opportunity to test a used voyager RME. After playing around with it for a while, I got this strange desire to compare with the phatty. As soon as I turned it on and played the first key, I had made my decision ^^. I don't care about software anymore, I like the phatty sound so much that to me it actually beats both the Prodigy and the Voyager. Thanks for the help anyway people :D
My Gear:
Nord Electro 2
Korg Monotron
Epiphone G400
Boss SD-1 Overdrive

Josef_K

Post by Josef_K » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Bought the little phatty tribute edition today. As I said in my previous post, software doesn't matter to me anymore, I just love this sound. Thank you Moog for making this awesome sound possible!
My Gear:
Nord Electro 2
Korg Monotron
Epiphone G400
Boss SD-1 Overdrive