can any 1 explain to me how the HOLD4FIZZ preset works

Everything Phatty.
mesa

can any 1 explain to me how the HOLD4FIZZ preset works

Post by mesa » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:32 am

can any 1 explain to me how the HOLD4FIZZ preset works its on the SLIM PHATTY

Thanks
Moog Slim phatty, Moog Sub 37, Moog Minataur, Dave Smith Tetra, Win10 64bit, Ableton Live 9.6, Ableton Push, Focusrite Scarlet 6I6, Arturia Beatstep Pro.

gabestigmatic

Re: can any 1 explain to me how the HOLD4FIZZ preset works

Post by gabestigmatic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:56 am

I have an idea, this isn't to be condescending, though it may sound like it. I am also new to the world of analog synths. Quit trying to figure out the presets and start from scratch. Make your own sounds and soon you'll be making your own patches that other people won't be able to figure out. :)

To start off, write over all of the presets by copying the calibration preset and paste it over all of the rest of the presets. This may sound like a travesty, but trust me, it opens up a whole new world. It forces you to dive in and really learn the synthesizer.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:47 pm

On the other hand, the real purpose of the factory presets isn't just to use the sounds as-is, rather they are supposed to be examples or teaching tools to show how the synth works. So, this is a great question!

The HOLD4FIZZ preset has both oscillator 1 & 2 levels turned right down, so they do not contribute to what you hear.
The only sound source in this preset is the filter. The filter resonance is turned up all the way, so the filter self-oscillates and produces a tone.

When you play a note, the filter envelope starts out all the way up (attack = 0, so it jumps "instantly" to the maximum envelope level), and then a very very long Decay time causes the filter envelope to sweep ever so slowly down to the filter envelope Sustain level, which is very low. This is what causes the long, falling pitch sound.

If you turn up the mod wheel, you hear the FIZZ... this is Noise modulation applied to the filter.
On the Phatty, you get Noise as a modulation source by selecting "Osc2" as the mod source on the front panel, and then in the ADVANCED PRESET menu, set MOD SRC 6: NOISE.

Without going into too many details, that's the gist of it... hope this helps!

-Amos

mesa

Post by mesa » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 pm

Amos, yep that really helps, the oscillator 1 an 2 levels turned down is what had me lost Thanks
I use a lot of NOISE sounds for hi hats,sweeps an that's the NOISE sound I've been trying to get for a long time with soft synths with bit crushers an EQ's anything an everything just to try an get that sound .

gabestigmatic I don't make patches so that people won't be able to figure them out I use the moog for making music, you may be new to the world synths not really sure why you see me as this tho, your funny of course I've made my own patches and tracks to go with them an yer that was condescending an it just had nothing to do with what I had asked, you might as well have told me how to plug the slim phatty in and turn on ha and that dose sound like travesty I really don't see the point in having 100 calibration patches 1 is enough why would any body need 100 of them? I don't know !
Moog Slim phatty, Moog Sub 37, Moog Minataur, Dave Smith Tetra, Win10 64bit, Ableton Live 9.6, Ableton Push, Focusrite Scarlet 6I6, Arturia Beatstep Pro.