How to make the phatty play back the midi setup in the DAW?

Everything Phatty.
sylwia666

How to make the phatty play back the midi setup in the DAW?

Post by sylwia666 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 am

Hi, tthere! I have set up my sweet moog and I have the audio in and moog working as a midi controller but i would like now the moog to play back the midi once i correct it in the DAW(ableton). (so that moog will play the midi and I can record the audio in ableton. and so that i can add the appregiator in the DAW and moog will play the midi with the DAW's appregiator - is that even possible??)

Any help would be great!

S xx

tagirov

Re: How to make the phatty play back the midi setup in the D

Post by tagirov » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:30 am

just send the midi track to your Phatty by selecting it in the 'MIDI to' section of track's settings
check the screenshot
screenshot
screenshot
you may notice that audio track monitoring is set to OFF
this setting enables Ableton Live's delay compensation and you record the audio (almost) without latency

Also you may need to set some settings in the Preferences menu / MIDI-Sync tab
check the screenshot
You need to enable TRACK and SYNC for all MIDI ports you want to use to play midi tracks
screen 2.png
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

gabestigmatic

Post by gabestigmatic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:54 pm

When you say... play back MIDI... Do you mean you want your DAW to act as a sequencer? Because MIDI is more like a control signal being sent rather than a note being played. Anyway, I would love if another Pro Tools user would help me out with this as well. I also have been trying for months to get help with sending MIDI Clock to the phatty so that it is synced to the BPM of the PT session. Pics like the above only with Pro Tools would help immensely.

sylwia666

Post by sylwia666 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:18 pm

Oh god Ruslan you have made my life complete today!!! THANK YOU !!! xxx

gabestigmatic

Post by gabestigmatic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 pm

So I'm basically trying to do the same thing with ableton and I can't get it to work. I am using a DIGI 003 Rack as my interface. I have my LP plugged in via USB... Nothing. I set it up with all of the settings you used in those screen shots. I'm not getting any audio at all. Can someone help me out?

gabestigmatic

Post by gabestigmatic » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Ok, so now I am getting audio... But only after recording. It won't let me hear the audio before or while I record.

Dude, why did you say to switch monitor to off? That's why I wasn't getting audio! lol

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:50 pm

gabestigmatic wrote:So I'm basically trying to do the same thing with ableton and I can't get it to work. I am using a DIGI 003 Rack as my interface. I have my LP plugged in via USB... Nothing. I set it up with all of the settings you used in those screen shots. I'm not getting any audio at all. Can someone help me out?
well, you need some midi notes for moog to play
just press ARM button in the Moog midi track and record the midi clip,
or create the midi clip (menu Create->Insert Midi Clip) and then draw some notes in the clip

then press play on a clip

if you don't want to record, just want to play - set Monitor to IN in the midi track, and the Ableton Live! will send midi data it receives from the midi input to the Phatty.

Also, you might read the Ableton Live manual, especially 'Live Concepts' and 'Editing MIDI Notes and Velocities' chapters )
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.