Help setting Up LP Stage II on Cubase 6!!

Everything Phatty.
bigbird19

Help setting Up LP Stage II on Cubase 6!!

Post by bigbird19 » Sat May 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Okay. I got an M-Audio device and I still couldn't record my LP on Cubase 6. So I'm gonna describe everything I did in the hopes that someone can possibly pick out where I'm erring and maybe lead me in the right direction, cause I really wanna get those PHAT sounds of the LP into my music! Okay first of all, I'm having no problem using the LP as a MIDI keyboard, it's very easy hooking it up using a USB cord- No problem there. I'm finding it very difficult however to play my LP on Cubase. So far I've tried the USB cable and I've hooked up a MIDI over USB cable which also was easy to set up the LP as a MIDI keyboard. Someone told me to try using an audio device so I got an m-audio fast track pro, I hooked up a midi cable from the midi out port on the LP to the Midi in port on the m-audio device, and then I hooked up a USB cable from the fast track to the USB port on my laptop (macbook pro 13" from July 2010) and although I could still use the LP as a MIDI keyboard, I still couldn't figure out how to play/record my LP on my cubase 6. Somebody please help, it's so frustrating cause I could've bought any MIDI keyboard but I spent an extra $1,000 on an LP Stage II for its sounds. Please Help! I appreciate it very much. Thanks!

Amos

Re: Help setting Up LP Stage II on Cubase 6!!

Post by Amos » Sat May 07, 2011 4:01 pm

USB is fine for MIDI. The thing you need the fast track pro for is:
an AUDIO CABLE in addition to the MIDI cable.

MIDI is only instructional messages, like "play this note" or "set the filter cutoff to 50%" - it's not audio.

You want the MIDI so you can record, edit, and play back musical sequences and so on...
but in addition to this, you need to connect a 1/4" mono audio cable (a guitar cable) from the Line Out on the side of the Little Phatty, to one of the 1/4" inputs on the Fast Track Pro.

Then in Cubase, you want a MIDI track for your Midi, and an Audio track (with its input set to mono, to the input channel that the LP is physically connected to via the 1/4" instrument cable).

There are probably some easy help or tutorial files if you need further info on how to set up an audio track in Cubase to monitor/record a line input.
That's basically what you'll want to try doing, though...

Good luck, and have fun!