New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Everything Phatty.
Sigue Sigue Huil

Re: New Firmware v3.1 for Slim Phatty, LP Stage and Tribute

Post by Sigue Sigue Huil » Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 am

Amos wrote:Possibly I can add a "plain mod source" although I keep running out of room in the code...
my recent changes to the note stack have freed some more room; I will see. Adding menu text and UI stuff takes much more code space than just adding new functionality, frustratingly for me... :)
Definite +1 for the plain mod source - I would love that

Would it be possible to control the pitch of OSC2 from the mod instead of it being relative to the pitch of OSC1? I remember being able to do that on the MS-20, giving you a kind of false two note polyphony.

And thanks for the Amazing work Amos - this update is making the Phatty a very powerful synth (sorry, more poweful synth)

christopher1966

Post by christopher1966 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:05 am

Now we're waiting for the new user's manuel or addendum 3.1!!!
thanks Amos for all the things you do.
A guy who is still here for us, so efficient and who creates wonderful things, its only AMOS from MOOG.
So for Amos and all the staff of MOOG Enterprise, big big claps. :)
Last edited by christopher1966 on Sat May 28, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu May 26, 2011 11:34 am

Thank you so much!

OK it sounds like there are still some bugs. I think I fixed all the MIDI-note problems in today's update; please check it:

OS 3.1 build 663 for TRIBUTE EDITION
OS 3.1 build 663 for STAGE/STAGE II EDITIONS
OS 3.1 build 663 for SLIM PHATTY

The only bug I am certain about in this version is that you can still "lose a note" in the poly arpeggiator mode (when arp is ON on all units)-- I think it works really well now to have arp ON on the LP and send Arp MIDI Keys, with arp OFF on any Slim Phatty in your setup... this works nicely on my 5-voice test setup.

Please see if any more Gate mode problems, or anything else... this one's getting very close to complete I think. :)

I am off to Detroit MI for the Movement electronic music festival... I'll see you all next week.

Cheers,

Amos

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Thu May 26, 2011 12:45 pm

jeepo wrote:Why not remove the lower case and special characters to free space? I'm sure people will understand and actually prefer new functionality over lower case characters.
+1, although I'm not sure what this would "break". I have the Librarian Editor software and it might not play well with that, unless the OS knew if it saw lowercase/special chars coming from the application to upcase/replace with spaces, etc.
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

avj

Post by avj » Thu May 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Amos wrote:
I am off to Detroit MI for the Movement electronic music festival... I'll see you all next week.

Cheers,

Amos
I'll be there as well! I haven't gone since the first and second festivals, so I'm really looking forward to it.

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Thu May 26, 2011 2:11 pm

joe_moog wrote:
jeepo wrote:Why not remove the lower case and special characters to free space? I'm sure people will understand and actually prefer new functionality over lower case characters.
+1, although I'm not sure what this would "break". I have the Librarian Editor software and it might not play well with that, unless the OS knew if it saw lowercase/special chars coming from the application to upcase/replace with spaces, etc.
What version of the Librarian do you have? Mine doesn't recognize the lower-case stuff at all, it just shows blanks for patch names - is there a newer version?

joe_moog

Post by joe_moog » Thu May 26, 2011 6:28 pm

cliffman wrote: What version of the Librarian do you have? Mine doesn't recognize the lower-case stuff at all, it just shows blanks for patch names - is there a newer version?
Mine's 2.1.0...granted I've never put lowercase in a preset name, I was just speculating...
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu May 26, 2011 7:19 pm

cliffman wrote:
joe_moog wrote:
What version of the Librarian do you have? Mine doesn't recognize the lower-case stuff at all, it just shows blanks for patch names - is there a newer version?
I made this suggestion to Amos a while back. It was a bit of a laugh as I rib him from time to time about the fact that he should stop being so lazy and spend some time optimizing.

When I was a young man (kid), I taught myself assembly language on a machine with an architecture very similar to the Little Phatty. Well, not quite but it shared one very important limitation, that being 64k of memory of which some was accounted for.

There is only so much that can be done.

From a Character set perspective, it is likely that upper/lower case will make NO difference and I make this statement under the assumption that the character set is embedded in the display controller. If indeed it is a pure bitmap, then sure, he'll save by cutting out at least the 26 lower case letters x the bit matrix which is something like 8x8 or so which is 8 bytes saved +/-. So 8 bytes x say 32 characters and you've got a hefty 256 bytes back.

EDIT: Just checked, the character matrix is only 8x6 pixels so the saving will be even less!

The other approach which I suggested to Amos (both can be used) is to squeeze down the known bits into an encoded format such that every 6 bits represents a single character of storage (but the set only has 64 characters in it). So you can pack 8 characters into 6 bytes (instead of 8 characters into 8 bytes). Multiply that by 13 characters in a name x 100 presets and you start adding a few more hundred bytes.

But wait! You need some code to unpack these names for display and also need to get ALL of the librarian software to be able to interpret the new format.

In short, this is very geeky stuff and it's a losing proposition unfortunately.

But it's the life of an 8 bit programmer.

Keep up the good work, Amos; very admirable and generous of you and Moog for doing all of this for us.
Last edited by EMwhite on Fri May 27, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

kamilof

Post by kamilof » Thu May 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Amos wrote:Thank you so much!

OK it sounds like there are still some bugs. I think I fixed all the MIDI-note problems in today's update; please check it:
Today I tried 663 but had to roll back to 662. When I tried the 663 build, the POLY mode was not as good as with 662. For example a chord on the left hand would lose notes to a melody on the right hand. So I went back to 662 which to me is the best POLY mode so far. Also I don't really use the ARP, instead I play full chords and melodies (the old fashioned way). Hope the feed back helps...

note: today I added two more SLIMS, so I'd been playing 4-voice setup: 1xSTAGE + 3xSLIMs = analog heaven :D

spin

Post by spin » Fri May 27, 2011 6:04 am

Is it normal that slim phatty arpeggiator doesen't care if i am using latch mode off or on? the arp loop continues also if i realese keys when latch is off

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Fri May 27, 2011 12:12 pm

hai , i drive the 663 version on my LP II. when i play in Arp Mode the beats per minute are so much too fast :?: the lowest 20 BPM seems to me like 120BPM or something like that.?is there somebody out there with the same funktion!

Benjaminam

Post by Benjaminam » Fri May 27, 2011 12:45 pm

electronicpoison wrote:hai , i drive the 663 version on my LP II. when i play in Arp Mode the beats per minute are so much too fast :?: the lowest 20 BPM seems to me like 120BPM or something like that.?is there somebody out there with the same funktion!
Make sure to check the Arp divisions setting in both global and advance preset screens. A setting of 1/32 or 1/16 makes the Arp run quite fast
LIttle Phatty SEII, Rogue, CP-251, Soldering iron

electronicpoison

Post by electronicpoison » Sat May 28, 2011 10:51 am

Benjaminam wrote:
electronicpoison wrote:hai , i drive the 663 version on my LP II. when i play in Arp Mode the beats per minute are so much too fast :?: the lowest 20 BPM seems to me like 120BPM or something like that.?is there somebody out there with the same funktion!
Make sure to check the Arp divisions setting in both global and advance preset screens. A setting of 1/32 or 1/16 makes the Arp run quite fast
thank you you are right.i do not look on that pages ,because i do an factory restore and thought that the setting went "normal", sorry bad bad english

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat May 28, 2011 12:18 pm

christopher1966 wrote:Now we're waiting for the new user's manuel or addendum 3.1!!!
A guy who is still here for us, so efficient and who creates wonderful things, its only AMOS from MOOG.
my private studio.jpg
The only useful synth in your picture is the Little Phatty and you've got it sitting in the corner!

Ha ha, just kidding; I've got a Radias and a VOS. What is in the rest of your studio?
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

christopher1966

Post by christopher1966 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:09 pm

EMwhite wrote:
christopher1966 wrote:Now we're waiting for the new user's manuel or addendum 3.1!!!
my private studio.jpg
The only useful synth in your picture is the Little Phatty and you've got it sitting in the corner!

Ha ha, just kidding; I've got a Radias and a VOS. What is in the rest of your studio?
i know you're right! :D
radias, M3, voyager, nord lead 2X, Lp II, tascam 2488 neo, cubase 6, lexicon effects and sound card, etc etc...
chris