Slim Phatty Problem - Midi

Everything Phatty.
chaseaston

Re: Slim Phatty Problem - Midi

Post by chaseaston » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Amos wrote:OK, so USB MIDI is working, DIN (regular MIDI cables) is not working?
But... you see the MIDI indicator icon when you send regular DIN MIDI?

On the Master Menu, System Utilities... what Version numbers (VERS:3.x xxx/xx) do you see?
I am having the same issue - I see VERS:3.12 680/34

Please help! I just wanna use my amazing Moog...

fantasma

Post by fantasma » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Seems like i'm not alone being frustrated..
So how's it going with the mac installer? Im on ver 3.11 647/31 and have been trying everything mentioned in this thread, and getting no sound when using my midi-keyboard, so would be nice to try to install the latest version before i give up and go back to the retailer.
I'm kinda starting to get tired of pressing the "play note" button trying wash some of the frustration away by actually getting to hear this thing..

fantasma

Post by fantasma » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:05 pm

So now on vers 3.12 and no difference.. Any advice?

A Moth Aglow

Post by A Moth Aglow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:04 am

Used VMWare Fusion..On OSX 10.6.8 did the update in windows!! worked like a charm..was gonna take this one day old Slim back tomorrow.!!!!..WHeeeeeew.. Thanks Amos!!!
Started VM with SP plugged into usb;;A pop up Screen come up and asks "Do you want to use the device with mac or Windows...I chose windows to do the update (update done all good)

2 Shut down VMWare Unplugged Moogs usb..... (Ableton would not cause any midi to be sent..I was lost for a bit..but then..Ah HA!!)>>>>>>>

3.restarted VM..with usb plugged into to Moog and the pop up came back and I answered Mac this time which re Established midi out for Ableton! Boom! Done! All knob movements are playing back as Automation!

giansignorelli

Post by giansignorelli » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:45 pm

Hello everyone,
I recently bought a used SP. It was working fine until I got home and tried to connect it to my external midi controller (Alesis QS8.2).
The synth was on, I could toggle through the menus, the presets and all the knob dials were responding. I made sure the channel was set on 1 for the synth and the midi controller. Tested note on, and got a beautifuI sound. I also made sure the output button was on. I even downloaded the user manual in order to make sure everything was setup properly. It is not my first time operating midi devices and studio gear, so I was surprised when I found myself having issues.

I went online and found this forum. I was astonished to find many people were having similar issues with their SPs. most recommended rebooting and reinstalling the firmware. I went to the official moog page, downloaded the appropriate version, and followed the instructions on my mac to perform the reinstallation. To my surprise, instead of getting the Please send firmware message, it got stuck on (usb module), and in the process, erased my previous firmware (version 3.21). Now the SP turns on only to show the same message (usb module).

In the forums I found a post of someone from England, who had a bricked Little Phatty and reflashed the main board using a usb debugger adaptor from Silicon Labs. I ended up getting it, in order to attempt a reflash, with no luck because, the adaptor version I had was not compatible with the Flash utility software found on Silicon Labs website and recommended in the post.

I tried downloading other softwares compatible with the EC3 adaptor also with no luck. I then tried reinstalling the firmware from different computers, mac, pc, windows 7, etc. No luck either. Then i tried connecting other usb and midi cables since I read it is a common issue to have usb and midi off sync. On a post by Amos, he explains how to reflash the usb board only (not the main frame). I also tried that.

Despite not being able to reinstall the firmware, I did get some message activity in the LCD display during some of the troubleshooting. When I tried to reflash the main board with the usb debugger, I finally got the Please send firmware message a couple of times. When I tried to send the firmware it didn not respond or show Receiving.
Then, when i followed instructions to reset the usb board provided by Amos, the SP reacted to data and showed Receiving Record #0, but got stuck and failed to install.

Now that I think about it, it seems the SP had a usb/midi descalibration before I tried to reinstall the firmware the first time, and now with no operating system the SP is bricked and inoperable. I cant seem to find a way to kick it back in sync ( i tried power cycles with and without cables connected to the SP).

Please help!

Franco