The New Guy

Everything Phatty.
JasonHimm

The New Guy

Post by JasonHimm » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:17 am

Hi all,

New to the forums and to Moog in general. Just got my confirmation email that my Little Phatty Stage 2 is shipping today. Yay. I'm 38 years old and I've been admiring Moogs (and analog gear in general) from afar for a long, long time and am very excited to finally get to play one. I've been trying to get "that sound" for years. Now it'll finally be at arms length. I'm into the progressive stuff, from Genesis and Yes and Rush to Echolyn and Dream Theater. So an affordable Moog was a no brainer. If you're into the same stuff, check out my site. http://www.soundclick.com/jhimm (I'm not selling anything there. Not being a troll.) I sold my 11 year old Triton to help buy this. I have a Roland Juno 6 that I got about 25 years ago (my first board and introduction to analog) and a Yamaha MO8 for general musical use. I feel like I just raised my game a little bit.

So, glad to meet you all and I'm looking forward to discussing this fine product and playing the crap out of it!

Yours,
Jay from Connecticut

EricK

Re: The New Guy

Post by EricK » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You are now in Moog Purgatory, which is a mental state of waiting for a recently ordered Moog product. Symptoms include but are not lmited to: anxiety, with bouts of joyous anticipation; constantly checking for confirmation emails; constantly checking the status of the tracking number, and upon receiving the notice "Out for Delivery", constantly checking the window everytime you hear the rumble of an automobile.

It is a temporary condition that ultimately leads to Moog heaven.

We feel your pain, Brother.

Good luck,
Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

JasonHimm

Post by JasonHimm » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Eric, you summed it up pretty much to a tee. The waiting is slowly (or quickly) killing me. :D

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 pm

{brutal, Eric! I'm not sure that somebody who has just arrived yet understands your humor !!}

Stage II is a mature product with many many thousands sold in fact, I believe the Little Phatty line (not even considering Slim packaging) is the biggest selling Moog product ever so no worries about supply chain.

The LP was the first Moog Product that I purchased as well and as you'll shortly see, it's a wonderful synth and all of the Moog products fit together nicely. If you haven't looked at the Jordan Rudess series (he produced 9 videos which are all up on YouTube), have a look while you wait the last few days for your parcel to arrive.

I watch alot of late night TV and always catch the musical acts which drop in on Letterman and the rest. One thing I've seen is more and more kbd'ists play Phatty's so you are in good company.

I predict that you'll next move into Foogers and before you ask, my [still] favorite is the 105M Filter array but there is much to read in the MoogerFooger forum a few doors down. The latest Phatty code (which is said to be 'shipping as GA' for the Stage series shortly, has the ability to send Midi Clock so there is alot of integration whether you use a DAW or just a drum basic drum machine (like me).

Welcome to the forum.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

JasonHimm

Post by JasonHimm » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:25 pm

EM, no worries with Eric's sense of humor. I got a kick out of it and agreed 100%. He put into words exactly what I'm feeling right now. :D
There was an episode of Married With Children where Al thought a pizza was being delivered to the house so he was pacing in front of the door waiting for it. That's exactly how I feel right now. The Little Phatty is my Bundy pizza. (there's a quote for you)

JasonHimm

Post by JasonHimm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Delivering today in about 4 hours. Time to say goodbye to the family for a while. :D
EM - I did watch the Jordan videos and just about every other LP video there is out there on YouTube. Good stuff

magnet

Post by magnet » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:22 pm

You better take a nap. You'll be awake for quite awhile! I'm sure many of us will want to hear how you feel about your purchase. I use a Peavey KB 100 as amplifier, and a 15" woofer makes my Tribute edition just knock things off the walls.
Best-
Voyager PE/ Frostwave Fatcontroller Seq./ Korg Dw-8000/Little Phatty Tribute #188/Korg EX-8000/KP3-Kaoss Pad/ EH Deluxe Memory Man delay effect/Peavy KB-100 amp

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:14 pm

When I first got my LP Tribute, I would wait for my wife to fall asleep in front of the TV and tip-toe into my Studio/Living room, don ear goggles and play for hours. This would end at around 2am with the realization that I had to awake at 6am for work settling in.

In the "Forward" section of the original Tribute manual you'll see the note from Mike Adams. In addition to talking about how "Bob had very high hopes for this, his last design project. His aspiration was for a less expensive Moog synth that more people could afford to own." he goes on to say "We are hoping you are reading this manual after a week or so of sleepless but blissful nights of playing the little Phatty."

Hope you get alot of great use out of yours. Congrats!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!