Presets - Too much detuning! Is this a Problem?

Everything Phatty.
scotteh

Presets - Too much detuning! Is this a Problem?

Post by scotteh » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi

I just got a Slim Phatty and have noticed that about half the presets have osc 2 detuned by so much the sound is pretty much unusable. At first I thought this might have been on purpose to show off how "fat" it sounds but now I'm not sure.

I edited a patch and saved it a couple of nights ago. I definitely didn't detune osc by very much. But now when I turn it on and go to that preset, it's detuned a LOT!

Is this an indication of how unstable the analog oscillators are? Or is there some auto-tune function I should be going through when I first turn it on? What am I missing here?

On another note (I know this should be a new thread but hopefully it's simple), I can't seem to rename patches. I change the name exactly as the manual explains, but when I push "Store" it changes it back to the original name! What did I miss?

Thanks a lot guys!!

Scott

earsmack

Re: Presets - Too much detuning! Is this a Problem?

Post by earsmack » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:56 pm

On the LP (and I presume the SP) there is an auto-tune function. Check the manual but note that it can take some time (5minutes? 10 minutes? 20 minutes?) to completely auto-tune and although I'm not sure how much difference it makes I've found that playing a few notes on the instrument helps to move it along in the auto-tune process.

These are analog oscillators and need to be given some time to properly join each other in harmony.

You can try creating a new patch and tuning both to see how close they are when the lights are at 12 o'clock.

It is possible that yours is out of whack but give it some time with auto-tune set properly and see what happens.

Hope this helps.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

HowardJones

Post by HowardJones » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Howdy,

I also just received ( finally ! ) my SP I've struck both of those problems:

On the issue of detuned patches there's a couple resolutions for this. Firstly, your SP needs to warm up. The first night I used mine - it had been cold here - it seemed to take about 45 minutes to properly warm up. Next, in the master menu check to see if fine-tune is on, off, or set to auto. Mine was set to 'on' and I had to keep tuning the SP as it warmed up. I found out about Auto, set it to that and now the SP tunes itself within a minute or so. However - until it's warm that second oscillator will still be out of tune. With auto-tune when you go back to pre-sets and start playing you need to let it breathe for at least 15 seconds for it to kick in its re-tuning routine. (edit - in other words don't play any notes for at least 15 seconds to allow the SP to start tuning itself)

Next, renaming patches: I was worried this was a problem with mine and am relieved ( in a way ) that it's not just me. I've got OS 3.03 on my SP, is yours the same?
I found I could re-name patches but only with a bit of malarky -
1) change the name
2) press store
3) - don't confirm to 'yes', just press store again.
4) press pre-set a couple times ( to switch between pre-set active and panel-active again)
5) press store
6) confirm to yes
7) press store

Now that all looks ridiculous and I think sometimes I have to do that or a variation of it a few more times to get the name to stick. But you're right, it definitely will not store the new patch name if you follow the instruction manual. Other patch settings are stored correctly though.

A couple times too I've had stuck notes on the SP. Have you? For further information in case people are wondering this is with straight keyboard controllers - two different brands and different units have been tested - there are no strange midi loops going on, it's via the MIDI in DIN socket, not USB.

cheers
Last edited by HowardJones on Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Two Slim Phatties 313 and 354- DSI Tetra - DotCom System - Korg Poly 800 - Yamaha DX27 & RS7000 + Matching Moog Pocket Protectors

scotteh

Post by scotteh » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Wow, that worked!! Thanks a lot! Although that's the longest store sequence I've ever seen... Hopefully we can shorten that by 30 or 40 keystrokes at some point.

And yeah, mine is also brand new and is 3.03 617/30

I wasn't sure about that auto-tune feature the first time I read the manual, so I'll try it again. I might just start leaving it (the SP) turned on like I do the rest of my gear.

Thanks again!
Scott

scotteh

Post by scotteh » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:53 pm

Oh, and no stuck notes so far. I have 2 keyboards for controllers. One is the M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 and the other is a Roland D-50. Both go into an M-Audio Midisport 8x8 and through Sonar 7.

I really haven't spent a lot of time with it yet though. I just got it home Monday night and last night I was exhausted after staying up half the night taking pictures of the eclipse, so this is really only the second night I'm playing around with it.

Scott

HowardJones

Post by HowardJones » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:44 am

I've found with the stuck notes the only thing that sets it all OK again is to re-start the slim - power off/on, or from system utilities reboot it. I do really like the light sequence on reboot :)

In case it sounds like I'm grumbling about the issues with re-naming, I have to say how gorgeous the slim sounds.
Two Slim Phatties 313 and 354- DSI Tetra - DotCom System - Korg Poly 800 - Yamaha DX27 & RS7000 + Matching Moog Pocket Protectors

Assar

Post by Assar » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:46 am

Have you tried to do all the calibration procedures?
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

scotteh

Post by scotteh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:05 pm

Welp, I think I just had one of those stuck notes. This was more like feedback though. Sounded like something was feeding back internally. It was a very high pitched tone that went away while I was playing but was always there between notes. I couldn't get rid of it except by turning the unit off and back on again.

That's pretty annoying! hopefully it's fixable with firmware!

Scott