SP: Low Volume and static when plugged into FireFace 400

Everything Phatty.
j0hnglist

SP: Low Volume and static when plugged into FireFace 400

Post by j0hnglist » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi all. Just got my Slim Phatty SP). I got it all set up and routed using an RME FireFace 400 and Cubase as my DAW.
One thing I noticed is that my SP is just not that loud. Also, when I record, it is SO quiet that I need to raise it up like 20 DBs to match my song's volume even though the song isn't that loud and not clipping either. I realize the playback and recording volumes are probably two separate issues. So first, can you guys help me with the playback volume? Its much quieter than I expected even with my Line In on my Sound card maxed out.

Another issue I have is, when I crank the volume up, I can hear a LOT of static noise.
Any ideas? I really want to love this synth. Thanks in advance.

JWaltman

Re: SP: Low Volume and static when plugged into FireFace 400

Post by JWaltman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:17 pm

well, playback volume is quiet because you recorded it at low volume, so first focus on the recording volume.

But I can't help you with the SP.. I have the LP and it's output is loud, really perfect for recording.

When tracking a synth part you should make sure the input volume is correct of the soundcard & the output of the SP is appropriate.

Can you try tracking it alone? Without other parts? This might put things into perspective for you. Do you record other synths/instruments? Do they sound ok?

j0hnglist

Post by j0hnglist » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Sorry let me clarify. I am NOT talking about the playback of the recorded material. I am talking about Live playback. Pressing keys on my midi keyboard and listening to the synth live.
The FireFace comes with software that lets me see the Input volume of the sound card as well as the output volume separately. Both are cranked up and the Moog just isn't that loud even on Max volume for the input meter and the output meter. If I play, say an mp3 of a modern track, its MUCH louder. And the more I crank up the volume of the Moog, the louder I hear this awful white noise-ish background static

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:03 pm

that's really odd. No accidental volume control changes? Is it also soft on headphones?

So it's mainly that it enters the soundcard at really low volumes? I had this once, turned out I had the mute switch enabled..hehe.. but I think it's only on the LP.

j0hnglist

Post by j0hnglist » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Yeah also low volume on headphones.

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:49 pm

did you try sending a midi control change with volume to 127? I dunno 'bout the SP software, but most modules react to this. And maybe this overrides the main volume on the SP.

Otherwise, I'm afraid someone from moog should help you, I'm pretty much out of ideas ;)

This indeed sounds like a SP problem if also the headphones outs are soft. But it also sounds like a main volume thing which isn't properly set.

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:26 am

SP should have exact same output level as LP -- which is to say, plenty loud! The headphone output should be really uncomfortably loud at maximum. This might be worth a call/email to moog service, they can determine if it's just a setup issue, or something out of the ordinary...

j0hnglist

Post by j0hnglist » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:02 pm

thanks guys. i usually forget that i have a support number to call. i always like figuring stuff out myself but i think ive hit a wall here

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:47 pm

good luck! I'm sure once you'll fix this problem you will love this synth! I just hope you don't have to return it.

Enjoy the SP once the problem is solved!
:D

tele-pet

Post by tele-pet » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:17 am

With regards to the static noise-- I had that, or something similar, happen as well. The static noise went away once I disconnected the USB connection on my LP. I've since gotten a MIDI-DIN cable interface and have not heard the sound since.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:34 pm

The noise from the usb in, from a non-grounded computer (usually a laptop), is a known problem without a solution; other than, don't use the usb with a computer that does not have a grounded power supply.

Also, is the SP plugged into a grounded outlet?

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:00 pm

it's actually ground LOOPS that cause this problem for me - specifically, if both my laptop and the synth are grounded, the background noise is really obtrusive. The noise is on the ground line, it stays the same level on the speakers even if all the "audio" levels are at zero. unplugging the laptop (or even using a "widowmaker" -- ground-lifting plug adapter) makes the noise go away in my system.

Not the same issue as a Phatty with super-low output though.

j0hnglist

Post by j0hnglist » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:21 pm

thanks for the replies gents. however, I am not using the USB cable :P
Using Midi only.

tele-pet

Post by tele-pet » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Wow-- there goes my theory. I was experiencing a buzzing sound whenever I connected my Phatty or MicroKorg via USB. That buzzing went away once I started using a MOTU Micro Lite MIDI-DIN cable interface (synths connected via MIDI-DIN cables to Micro Lite, which is connected via USB to powered USB hub, then to iMac). I'm not sure what to say.

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:01 am

that actually makes sense. USB transfers power to external devices. MIDI doesn't. MIDI only transfers data (although obviously with electricity) but USB actually carries a current for powering additional devices.