LP pitchbend not working + unstable oscillators

Everything Phatty.
micindir

LP pitchbend not working + unstable oscillators

Post by micindir » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:26 pm

There's LP i can buy from a guy, and he's no keyboardist. Its been laying there for years, waiting for someone (me) to pick it up, make some sounds, etc. etc :D I'm in Eastern Europe, so sending to Moog Music is no option (considering 4 years LP). Presets are crap - modern club/electroclash type, too much resonance (i was looking for thank you Bob , couldn't find it) etc. Keyboard is not the best - playable, but m-audio axiom's better, much better. So to the point: the guy was guitarist and having hard time with so much controls (like all of them). First thing i noticed- Pitch Wheel worked only down in last 3/4 (i dont use pitch bends, so i don't care).

But the main problem - PITCH ISN'T STEADY. I know how raw saw or raw square should sound, it sounds like noise was mixed into pitch cv - or better it sound EXACTLY as 60 - 120 hz hum mixed into pich CV (had same thing with DIY oscillator i was making, though i changed power supply, and it was totally ok), sounds like low freq audio vibrato . I thought pitch wheel problem might be interconnected to pitch unsteadiness. I just couldn't get it to sound organ-like, in upper range it gave really unpleasant overtones. So what's the problem? Ground loop issues (quite common problem here on this forum)? Or just uncalibrated synth?

If its something serious i'm getting DSI Mopho - sounds like softsynth compared to LP, but at least it wouldn't crap out with blank screen (or annoying buzz like this one), and its playing as it is designed to play. The fun thing is - the guy thought it was totally the character of the synth, poor guy, i must say.

jeepo

Re: LP pitchbend not working + unstable oscillators

Post by jeepo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:53 pm

I have experienced the ground loop problem, but for me it was nothing like what you describe. Try using headphones instead of the amp. Or maybe something was plugged into the pitch CV? or the mod wheel was up some? You could try calibrating it. Instructions are in the manual.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Yeah, make sure it is plugged into a well grounded outlet hopefully with your amp plugged into the same outlet. Then let it warm up for 30 min, do a factory restore, and then perform the 4 calibrations as described in the manual.

micindir

Post by micindir » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:30 am

You know we have here outlets with 2 connectors (not 3 like civilized countries do), right? People at moog knew that too, right? (Or else i'm screwed).

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:59 am

The no grounded outlets in my country has been brought up here before. You can contact moogsupport by email or by phone. I think they were successuful at helping others in your situation.

You could also run your own ground line seperate from the outlet. A wire contacted with a copper plumbing line a bit before it enters the Earth usually will be enough to provide a solid ground. Not sure how you would wire it to the LP seprate from the power line. Put an 1/8" TS jack wired in so your could supply your own ground souldn't be difficult. Just an idea.

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:20 pm

If there's no ground you will probably need to use a transformer to isolate the LP from the power mains. Sir Nose's suggestion of making your own ground might work, but with how sensitive the LP is to ground issues it may create other problems. I too suggest that you call or email moog. They are very helpful and friendly.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:53 pm

micindir wrote:If its something serious i'm getting DSI Mopho - sounds like softsynth compared to LP, but at least it wouldn't crap out with blank screen (or annoying buzz like this one), and its playing as it is designed to play. The fun thing is - the guy thought it was totally the character of the synth, poor guy, i must say.
I got hold of an "old" Tribute myself which had been in storage for about a year, and it sounded all weird. After a few calibrations (see manual) it was fine.

Concerning the Mopho Keyboard; yes, you are right it sounds like a soft synth. Probably due to those "pinball machine" oscillator chips (Curtis). It even has a dedicated parameter for artificial oscillator drift... Oh my... I had one of these for about a month and then luckily got rid of it. The firmware is NOT stable on the Mopho either. I had all sorts of lcd screen weirdness during the sad weeks it stayed in my studio. The keyboard was nice though. Velocity and aftertouch and weighted keys too. It would make a nice midi controller.