Broken Filter Pot

Everything Phatty.
Niteworks

Broken Filter Pot

Post by Niteworks » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:58 am

Hi there.

Sorry if this has been previously discussed, but I'm having trouble with the filter pot on my Stage Edition Little Phatty.

For instance, if I choose a preset, the filter cutoff and resonance will be in the correct postion as expected, but when I go to turn the pot, in any direction, the value heads for the 12 0'clock mark. Any movement to the pot causes the value to head to the middle, and once it is there, it just stays there, no matter what movements are made to the pot.

Cutoff and resonance are affected equally, which leads me to beleive it's a problem directly linked to the pot itself.

If anyone has had a similar experience, or a bit of an idea of what may be going on, you help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Sir Nose

Re: Broken Filter Pot

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:08 am

That's a new one to me. Does this happen when no other gear is hooked up to the LP other than maybe an amp? Try to see if you still get this behavior with no effects on the audio out, no CV ins or outs, no midi cables plugged in and make sure the LP is plugged into a well grounded outlet.

If the behavior stops and the knob works then it's not the knob. If the knob still behaves screwy when other sources of possible interference are removed then maybe it's the knob.

Niteworks

Post by Niteworks » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply.

With nothing other than the audio out connected, it still doesn't work. The filter cutoff and resonance can be controlled via MIDI by an external controller, which I have resorted to in the meantime. The fact the actual filter still works leads me to beleive it's the pot that's the culprit.

Would I be right in thinking this? The fact the value keeps returning to the middle when the pot is used, makes me think the pot is still 'sending' information to the filter, just very messed up information. Again, any further thoughts are appreciated.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Yeah, if using midi fixes it then it's might be the pot. What about the other parameters in the filter section? Do you get the same behavior with env amount, overload, keyboard tracking?

Niteworks

Post by Niteworks » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:35 pm

I checked the other parameters as well, and no, they don't work either. This make's me pretty certain it's the pot.

I live in Glasgow in Scotland, and am having no luck at all finding a repair shop to do the work. Does anybody have any experience of replacing the pots by themselves/ is it a good idea? Any idea even if this would solve the problem.

Cheers.