battery powered amp/speaker

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
thuggboy

battery powered amp/speaker

Post by thuggboy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:17 am

Can anyone suggest a suitable battery powered speaker for busking with theremin? I have been searching and working on this project for year or more with nothing but frustrating failure in my endeavour. At home I run my B3 pro through a talking box (gives a breathy/ human sound) with Hartke 100W keyboard amp. The tone is pure/strong. I am able to power the theremin and talking box with separate battery packs. My last hurdle is a battery/self powered amp/speaker. I have tried all types of battery powered amps but the result is a hideous growl/scratch each time. I have experimented with various noise/interference reducing plugs and boards to no avail. I've tried Roland cube,(have since learned that a theremin will not work with a guitar amp. ) I have since tried Bose, LG. as well as trying to power my entire set-up including my Hartke with a portable AC power box but no good. I live in Perth Western Australia,there are no theremin retailer and I took a chance buying the B3 online, but have been pleased with it. There seems to be no expert in Perth who is able to help me with my frustrating project of being self powered. Does anyone have suggestions? Could it perhaps be an earthing issue or something like that to do with my B3? I am not an electrical whizz but have researched as much as I can online. I would be most grateful for ideas/ suggestions. Cheers Thuggboy Zigg.

Valery

Re: battery powered amp/speaker

Post by Valery » Tue May 03, 2016 10:59 am

From my experience... I was also looking for such power, and small size, but powerful enough.
Suddenly, I brought "ROLAND MOBILE-AC". Despite the stated capacity of small and very small sizes
it runs loud enough to announce the hall of medium size. Subjective feeling - 10-15 Watt.
It is stereo and has 3 separate inputs: MIC and guitar with reverb and audio. I plug the theremin
into a guitar Jack. Since I have some experience with electronics, I was able to incorporate
into it the AUX output which you can send the audio to an external amplifier, and the Roland
executes a role of a monitor and a mixer. The sound quality is quite high, but low frequencies
are better to listen on the external amplifier. The volume controls are working fine.
For combining the output signal of the theremin with guitar consoles, I reduced the signal
through a divider, but even without it the distortion was not.
For my work this option is very suitable, but everyone has their own approach to this issue...
Must necessarily be grounded the theremin. If you can not find the connection point to the ground you should use a long cable. I connect to the cable theremin 15 - 20 metres long. The sound is greatly better.
Good luck in everything! Valery. :wink: