Theremini shaking tone

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Trsacar

Theremini shaking tone

Post by Trsacar » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:42 am

Hello evorybody,

I have a problem with Theremini in lower registers. It sounds like there is a bee inside my speaker. It is not a problem in higher registers, but in low it sounds unnatural. I had the same problem earlydays (at my home) but, when I changed the object, Theremini was working fine. And after that, i haven't a problem when I got back to home. It works fine until nowadays. I tried it as in home as in another object (where I didn't have a problem), and there is the same problem. The tone is shaking like a crazy bee.
Does anybody have the same problem or even know how to fix it? I calibrated it 100 times...

Thanks in Advance,

Marko

JesperP

Re: Theremini shaking tone

Post by JesperP » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:39 am

Hello!
Theremins are sensitive creatures and all sorts of strange things can occur. Does this particular issue happen when using the internal speaker and/or with the Theremini connected to an amplifier?
Have you checked that your Theremini is properly grounded?
Best,
Jesper

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:17 am

Also in addition to checking grounding, go into Advanced Settings and see what you have the response mode set to assuming you are running the newer firmware.
If set to Fast, try Medium. If set to Medium try Slow. See if it gets better.
Quality of your power could affect this kind of thing. Also try different patches and see if the patch itself makes a difference.
Rich

Gordon Charlton

Post by Gordon Charlton » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:31 pm

Is this just with the built in speaker, or is it also with headphones and external speakers?

If the former it could be a mechanical problem with the speaker, for instance some grit fell though the upward facing grille. If the latter it could be pitch field circuitry - does it change as the circuit warms up? (The theremini seems to take quite a long time for the fields to stabslise - I've been leaving mine a quarter of an hour before calibrating because of this.)
Check out my theremin videos on my youtube channel.

d'ni

Post by d'ni » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Same problem here. I would describe it as a sputtering artifact of some sort, in the lower register better recognized. Holding a note with pitch correction full on reveals it best. No matter where or how i set it up.
Mine is well grounded, it's on the phones,the outs and the speaker, with or without ipad/midi/comp, as standalone or with further equipment. Lowering the antenna response does not help much. It's not like that 50/60 Hz thing. It sounds more like something digital is not working properly. Like that display-issue. It seems not all instruments behave like that.
Firmware anybody?
Sounds like digital hiccups.
Cheers to the battered ones.

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:46 am

Hi there!

Andy from Moog Tech Support here.

It sounds like his Theremini is being subjected to outside interference.

The Theremini (and all Theremins) is susceptible to outside interference if it is too strong. Interference can come from many sources either from over the power line that it is connected to or electromagnetic interference “in the air”. Try checking things in your house that might be causing this. Some sources include:

1. Lights on dimmer switches.
2. Air conditioning and heating units.
3. Ethernet or audio over power line converters.
4. Washing Machines.
5. Vacuum Cleaners

Try turning the above things off and see if this helps.

Also, the Theremini requires good Earth grounding for it to work properly. Make sure your power outlets (mains) have good earth grounding (three conductor mains outlet instead of two). If not, you can use the ground screw on the back of the Theremini to earth ground it but you will need to know where to ground it in his house on the other side(usually to the grounded cover screw of your AC outlet, but you will need to ensure this screw is grounded).

If you have further questions, please contact us at 828-251-0090 x.221 or at [email protected]

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Service Department Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

Gordon Charlton

Post by Gordon Charlton » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Is there a device that will turn a poor quality power supply into a good one? I have played in some places that gave my etherwave the heebiegeebies and it worries me if the 'mini is more sensitive to such things.
Check out my theremin videos on my youtube channel.

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:01 pm

Well it may not be the same issue, but in my studio I run things from these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX

Rich