Hi - UK based newbie Theremini-ist - MIDI query.

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
cliff d - UK

Hi - UK based newbie Theremini-ist - MIDI query.

Post by cliff d - UK » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:27 am

Hi, I purchased the theremini a couple of weeks back, & have been grappling with the midi side of things & the possibility of converting control voltages to midi. I have read most of the comments in "disappointed with theremini" & I think I am coming up to speed with what may or may not be possible. What I have not read anything about is the possibility of linking the "lightning" socket output to a standard 5 din midi connector. So theoretically assuming I did connect the right wires of the USB connector to a 5 din connector would I then have an effective MIDI lead for my theremini (linking it say to a synth MIDI in/out) or must there be some other box in between? :roll:

rkram53

Re: Hi - UK based newbie Theremini-ist - MIDI query.

Post by rkram53 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:27 pm

For just a cable converter you can go to Amazon and they have a lot of them with a little Mini hub too. Seem pretty cheap.
As for CV to MIDI conversion I added a response for what I do on the other thread.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Cable-Convert ... 9031472022

Rich

cliff d - UK

Post by cliff d - UK » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:28 am

Thanks - I think the complexity of CV to MIDI will cause me to shelve the idea for the minute, but in the meantime I await a Windows version of the editing software as I eschew Apple products!

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi Cliff:
The Theremini can't just connect directly to another Midi device. Since it is implemented as a "slave" Midi, it must connect to some type of computer host, either IOS, Windows, or OSX for it to function correctly. There is no cable that can just be hooked up to the Mini USB on the back that terminates in a set of Midi DIN plugs that will work.

If you use a Mini USB to standard USB cable and plug it into your Windows machine, it should show up in the browser of your Windows Midi Interface as a source and destination. Make sure you have the proper cable...there are older ones around for cameras and other devices that don't have the proper wires hooked up, and won't work for the Theremini. I bought a couple of newer ones off of EBay and they seem to work just fine.

This will get you ready for when the Windows Theremini editor is released, and you can use your Windows Midi interface to connect to other Midi gear with standard Midi DIN plugs.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:27 am

synthguy wrote:The Theremini can't just connect directly to another MIDI device. Since it is implemented as a "slave" MIDI, it must connect to some type of computer host, either iOS, Windows, or OSX for it to function correctly. There is no cable that can just be hooked up to the Mini USB on the back that terminates in a set of MIDI DIN plugs that will work.
One workaround is to use the iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iConnMIDI4L
One of its many features is the ability to trick USB-powered controllers into thinking they're plugged into a computer. If you look on the back of the interface you'll see a USB A Female jack.

Granted, $199 is a lot to invest if you only need it for one thing; but it also solves many other MIDI/USB/iOS connection issues as well as being the absolute fastest MIDI interface available.

I've also had hit/miss success with the $45 Keith McMillen MIDI Expander:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIExpand
It was designed ONLY to work with their line of controllers, but sometimes I find other brand devices that also work.

For example, I was ecstatic that it worked with the USB wireless receiver dongle from my Numark ORBIT:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Orbit
Which means that I can wirelessly control any MIDI synth without having to bring a computer.

If I get a chance today, I'll test both the iConnectMIDI4 and the MIDI Expander with the Theremini and report the results.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:52 pm

OK, I have confirmed that you can use both the Pitch and Volume antennas on the Theremini to send MIDI CC#s to the iConnectMIDI4, which can then come out of its standard 5-pin DIN MIDI Out jack.

The default CC#s are CC#20 for Pitch and CC#2 for Volume.

For those who were about to ask:
Yes, I did try sending CC#20 and CC#2 back to the Theremini to see if I could control it externally but (so far) there seems to be no response.

I will try the MIDI Expander over the weekend and report if it also works or not.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:10 am

Wow Dan, that is pretty cool.
To see if you can route the antenna CCs back to the input, set them to someting that you can easily recognize. ( 2 isn't assigned, and 20 is Scan Amount).
Filter cutoff, Transpose, and Delay Time are all good candidates, and the Theremini still only accepts info set to Midi Channel 1.
Can this unit be bus powered from the IPad, or does it use an AC adater or powered hub?
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com