New Theremini Firmware Update!

Share your theremin experience: tips, tricks, techniques, favorite theremin moments.
Claymenia

Re: New Theremini Firmware Update!

Post by Claymenia » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi,

I've buy a theremini, and i've update it... but when i've update it in 1.1.0, i've no sound on preset 30 and flit screen bug so i've updated it again and now, i've no sound on my theremini, and to preset 11 at 32, i've the same preset displayed : classic thrmn...

The therimini actualy doesn't work, and i try to erase an reupdate, same thing...

Can you urgently help me ?

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Does this happen even when the unit is sitting idle, or
Does it only happen when using the pitch antenna, volume antenna, or both?
Does it have to warm up to do this?
Does it only happen when hooked up to the editor, or in stand alone (unhooked) as well?

I didn't use C6 to load, but instead a program called Sysex, I think. I'll try C6 tonight.
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

Claymenia

Post by Claymenia » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:38 am

this happen when i try to update again, when i try to come back to previous version of firmware, when i try to reset...

i use it in stand alone, i've update sysex for try (form orignal website)

it's not warm

Since i've update theremini, i've same preset from 11 to 32 and i've no sound on speaker.

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Claymenia,
You should definitely go to the Moog help and log a problem report here.

I assume you do the erase procedure per the instructions before loading any new firmware.

A few things:
1. If you downloaded the original firmware, that does not have exactly the same re-initialization structure as the new firmware which should perform a factory reset on loading the firmware. I don't think the initial firmware did a factory reset. You can do this manually by pressing Root and Setup as you power on. The current patches should be maintained after doing this.

2. Also if you power on, and hold only the Setup button and you will see the firmware version installed to verify what is on there.

3. You must re-calibrate after loading new firmware (Actually you should do it any time you turn on the theremini). If you have not calibrated correctly, volume may not be what you expect. Make sure that you see the three second timer (if loading V1.1.0) between each step. Sometimes you can push a button twice by mistake and skip a step (and if this happens on volume calibration it can create some unexpected results).

Hard to believe the theremini's patches got corrupted on firmware load. You didn't have the app connected during firmware download? Not that that should cause a problem. I've loaded firmware many times and have never seen this.

Another thing to check is the size of the new firmware to make sure it got unzipped correctly (though I would think the firmware would guard against loading a bad image). The size of my v1.1.0 image says 359,740 bytes when I look at it in Windows properties. I would think everyone's image is the same here.

Hope this helps - but I really encourage you to contact Moog for support.

Rich

Claymenia

Post by Claymenia » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:41 am

Hi,

I've always try and try again all steps.

Support send me a file with original preset at version 1.0.3 but it's impossible to install this file... (and they no say how i can install it correctly...)

I've many times recalibrated it without success (also with the original patch i've successfuly calibrate it many times)

So i come back in shop for a return and exchange... and i don't update it in the futur.

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:59 am

You might also try this for the display issue. Go into Advanced Settings and change response mode to Slow.
Does the display issue change at all in Slow mode?
Rich

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:42 pm

rkram53 wrote:You might also try this for the display issue. Go into Advanced Settings and change response mode to Slow.
Does the display issue change at all in Slow mode?
Rich
I understand the Response mode is for the antennae, I just tried changing it and the flicker issue is still there...
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

synthguy

Post by synthguy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:17 pm

Y'know, it seems that people are reporting this display problem after they have upgraded their firmware.
SO,
I'm sure it would be useful to know if this is indeed a byproduct of something in the new firmware.
Could any of you that are having this problem load the old firmware back in (1.0.4, still available for download at the Moog download page) and see if the weird display problems go away? Follow the same update procedure as before, erasing the current firmware and then reloading the 1.0.4.

It would also be useful to know if:

Does this happen even when the unit is sitting idle, or
Does it only happen when using the pitch antenna, volume antenna, or both?
Does it have to warm up to do this?
Does it only happen when hooked up to the editor, or in stand alone (unhooked) as well?
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

d'ni

Post by d'ni » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:29 pm

seems my zippering display has disappeared!
using mac and the C6, i did the following: started the theremini for the erase procedure as told, and sent the erase file from the 10.4 packet. quit C6. started C6 again and sent the new 1.1 firmware. (i did so just to make sure C6 has only the new fw showing up in the window.) restarted the theremin and calibrated as told.
seems to work.!
(i firstly had it done like: after putting the theremini into the erase modus, as told, started C6. from the 1.1 package, loaded the erase file, and sent it. then loaded the new fw, so the window shows both files, highlighted the new fw and sent it, then reboot and calibrated.)
any body can confirm that experiment? does this make sense? anyhow...
happy new year to all....and let's hope we don't have to solve all of our troubles on our own.

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:42 pm

Hmm. I use C6 on windows. Load the erase file and send. Then I load the firmware file and make sure it is highlighted and send.
Maybe on MAC you have to load/send, get out and then load/send the firmware.

Both are in the list when I do it. Can you recall if you had the firmware highlighted before sending the first time you did it?

Rich

d'ni

Post by d'ni » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:09 am

firstly: trying to reproduce a certain issue is delicate and leads into trouble. after some erase/uploads it's still gone now. the display zipper. i think it was firstly out of the box in pre-10.4 firmware state. unfortunately i did not check this. so i loaded the 1.1 right away on it. mine never saw the 10.4 firmware.
more important.: as said, messing around with those erase/uploads leads into trouble. but science need sacrifices :
claymenia, i have now the same issue like you... not sure why that happend but after another erase/upload procedure it fell dead-silent and the presets exactly like you described. so i hooked up the ipad, hope you have one, for the theremini app. because i thought that some under the hood settings went to zero and as a matter of fact some mostncertainly did: in the preset volume: zero, in the advanced menu volume antenna volume: zero. seems like the library can get corrupted somehow.
turn those virtual knobs up or replace right away the theremin presets with library presets one by one, and your t-mini sings again! no bullshit.
i realy wonder how it can be solved without the app!!!
any way to swap entire preset libraries in one go, or is it realy preset by preset? yawning.

d'ni

Post by d'ni » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:49 pm

Regarding my post above, some more bad news: the ipad editor app crashes after a while. First it worked well, But then happend this:
Each time asked if i want to oberwrite the preset i'll try to confirm with yes. the app crashes, but stores also a bit of the preset into the theremini. Mostly misses the effect settings, and also adds some wierd extra characters after the preset name. I tried different ipads with the same results.
Some theremini-memory internals seem to have gone haywire in the basics. Also when trying out, on the editor, presets from the factory library, there are some issues with loading the preset effect. In the small window for the delay time settings (off/preset/slow...etc) it always jumps back to preset when trying to change it. no matter how the "loading preset" settings are in the advanced submenu on the theremini. the display also only shows for fx Preset, even if stored differently.
I already tried factory reset start, reinstallation of the fw, another download/ unzipping of the fw, even different usb cables, without success.
Any further idea what's wrong or a possibillity to get this solved?

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:18 am

What IOS are you using?

d'ni

Post by d'ni » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:42 am

hi rich, i'm using 5.1.1 on the first generation ipad. this one can't get further updated anymore and 7.1.1 on the ipad2. and no, i don't want to update to ios 8 right now.
both worked with the theremini editor perfectly. i even wondered that the first ipad worked without problems, because of the old ios.
it realy must be in the theremini. no doubt. some write/read onto the internal storage difficulties. i think it needs a full erase and a full new setup of the library etc..
so far, i could get it back sounding. as described before. with alot of difficulties, but it works somehow. hard to describe in english. whatever, as it is with those workarounds : the problem is still there and might even botch things up elsewhere in the unit.
(when sysex erase of the theremini, it erases down to block c. that's ok? (block a an b got not erased))

rkram53

Post by rkram53 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:27 pm

d'ni,
Thanks.
You can log a ticket with Moog if you like.
However, they are aware of the issue and are looking into it.

Rich