Discontinuation of MF-107 and MF-105m

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
MRNUTTY

Re: Discontinuation of MF-107 and MF-105m

Post by MRNUTTY » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:14 am

latigid on wrote:Say what you want about small scale modular, but it seems the sonic palette is ever-expanding. An interesting perspective from MI designer Olivier Gillet:
http://blog.reddogmusic.co.uk/2015/07/2 ... interview/
This topic deserves it's own thread... but, while I agree the eurorack market has huge potential for the 'sonic pallete', I haven't heard much that I like from artists that are using it. Much of my listening background in electronic music comes from the 90's to mid 2000's techno/trance. It includes popular artists such as Orbital, Orb, Autechre, Speedy J, and FSOL to relative unknowns; Seefeel, Single cell orcestra, and a melange of EDM DJ's. and finally best of all; Wendy Carlos! However, all the video/Soundcloud material from euroracks sounds like polyrhythmic bleeps, and bloops, where the artist sets up a ton of sequencing and twiddles knobs to hand modulate and mix a 'pre-wired setup'. I suspect, I'm either jaded or haven't heard enough of it - but that's my impression. Maybe I'm too old school: sonata format, melodic centric, harmonic development, etc...

I would be open (read love to hear) to examples countering my poor impression. For a short while I entertained going euro, but I had significant investment in Moog, and planned Moog style CV setup with limited space available. But, I vastly enjoyed the produce of the latter rather than the former. There's still time though, or space I should say :-)
VoyagerEB, Minitaur, LittlePhattyII, 4xSlimPhatty, Sub37, MF[2x101,2x102,103,104M,105,105B,105M,2x107,108M], 3xCP251, XV351, MP201;
2xMother 32, DFAM, Subharmonicon;
System 55 and Minimoog clones with lots of mods.

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:45 am

I have to be honest in that I'm not really a big "listener" of music at the moment; I like concerts and building stuff, and noodling around with my somewhat shambolic setup.

I think you get a lot of bleeps and bloops because people are feeling their way through modular synthesis. My approach is to treat it as its own instrument and couple it with standalone synths, bass etc. It's also very "in the moment" as complex patches are difficult to find again.

You can find examples on Muff Wiggler Radio or perhaps by watching I Dream of Wires.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:39 am

Ten years ago, I bought a Clavia G2 (ok, wait wait ;) ). It’s a hybrid modular synth: patch on a screen, assign modules parameters to physical knobs, flash the patch into the synth and go stage. Great instrument. I learnt a lot patching but at a point I felt like “Ow I’m fed up with patching without making music”. Stopped patching for the sake of it. I now patch only what I actually need and use the synth as a light, small, flexible poly + FX box.

Later, I was excited by the idea of going modular. What prevented me to jump in was I knew how disciplined I am not haha. I feel more “secure” with precabled synths, or semi modular. I mean I too need to feel I’m making music with a popular* side (*read not musician-oriented but audience-oriented).
I also love making experimental improvisation sessions, but the pleasure is a bit different: rather than focused on the audience, it is more focused on the moment or the encounter of the musicians at that moment.

My impression is that the later is difficult to appreciate when 1- you’re not one of the guys turning the knobs 2-you are not even in the room when it is actually played. That’s the best explanation I found of why modular synth vids ended boring me 98% of the time.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:05 am

I recently got a Bass Murf and I love it.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:41 am

EricK wrote:I recently got a Bass Murf and I love it.
Me too, it's got me thinking about picking up a MIDI MURF.

I sold my MF-105 the only pedal I've had on my board for almost 10 years continuously last month because I was in a scrape. I couldn't regret it more.

Headphones

Post by Headphones » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:43 am

I'm going to start off with the MF 107, which I just put down on layaway, and when that is paid off, immediately put a layaway on the MF105m. Just have to be patient. Just have to stop unnecessary spending on records or cd's, iPad apps, and fast food cravings. But it will be worth it.

fuzulu

Post by fuzulu » Mon May 16, 2016 8:28 am

Im glad i picked the midi murf once they announced the discontinuation , seems not easy to find one at the moment